SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
phillipeh

Legal Action by Contractor

phillipeh
14 years ago

We and our contractor are having a dispute as to how much is owed now that the home is finished. He has initiated legal proceedings by hiring a lawyer who sent us a letter demanding payment.

The disputed items are:

1. Can light trim: I bought the trim my wife and I wanted, which was less expensive than the trim the contractor was going to put in. He doesn't want to pay the $130.

2. Brick: We had a $4550 allowance and spent $217 less than that. He wants the $217 back, saying that the allowance was for selection only. The contract states it is an allowance and there is no mention of "for selection only."

3. Roofing Material: We provided the roofing material based on his take-off. After we moved in, he said he had to spend an extra $700 for "extra" material and different nails (he didn't like the nails we provided, but can't produce them so I can return them for a credit).

4. Light Bulbs & Smoke Detectors: He wants to be paid $419 for these items.

5. Floors: We had our floors stained (they are concrete) but they are full of streaks in the sealer. They resealed the floors but that did no good. We have withheld payment on the floors of $7186, and we had three concrete people come to look at the floors. All three agreed that acid stain and xylene sealer should not have been used indoors and it will cost between $2500 and $12,000 to fix them.

6. Tub: Our WP tub was stolen from the job site, after we had it delivered there at our contractor's request. He failed to secure it. We ordered a second tub and sent to the GC's house (at his request). He refused the shipment and it was sent back, incurring restocking fees. We ordered it a third time and had it sent to the jobsite (at his request, and that's the tub we have in at master bath now. We withheld money to pay for the first tub and the restocking fees on the second tub as we contend he's responsible for them. Funny enough, he told us our oven was also stolen, but he replaced that -- before he even told us it had been stolen. Now what's the difference between a stolen oven and a stolen tub if he's accepting responsbility for the oven?

Anyone ever have any issues like these? How were they resolved? Obviously we are hiring a lawyer of our own.

Thanks!

Comments (31)