SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
desertsteph

washer / dryer brand - good ones?

desertsteph
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I'm thinking about buying a washer but haven't a clue what's a good brand for them anymore.

what do you have - would you buy it again or not?

I'm only need a very basic washer, top load, few cycles.

i'll probably only need to use it 2x a month. I've gotta conserve water where I am. once or twice a yr i'll take big things like comforter, pillows to laundromat.

I've been using a line outside to dry things so will delay a dryer to see how it goes w/out one. I've lived several yrs w/out one so I should do ok.

agitator vs impellar?

looking online at home depot and a local store I see amana, hotpoint, GE, whirlpool that are familiar to me.

Comments (28)

• desertsteph
    Original Author
    8 years ago

thx shades! I remember in the past having numerous options but I only used maybe 2 or 3 of them. I'd change the load size and water temp (tho usually on cold except when kids were babies and I washing diapers). and I think there was the option for 'delicate' or 'normal'. not much I washed was delicate!

I did notice while reading about new fangled 'energy saving' and such that most seem to not have an option for 'load size'. it says the washer knows how much water to use for amount of clothes one puts in it. that sounds weird to me.

and newer ones have an impellar instead of agitator. it says it's easier on the clothes.

• Related Discussions

Need a good basic washer & dryer

Q

Comments (2)
    There is price and there is cost. The price of the Admiral may low, but for my money, I'd buy a Speed Queen set which is priced higher initially, but is built to last longer than any other brand on the market. Speed Queen also has the longest warranty of all the brands.
    ...See More

Help! Is this a good washer/dryer combo?

Q

Comments (5)
    If the washer is model 4044 it's a good machine. Basically an LG on the inside. We've had ours since April and it gets the clothes clean and is quiet. We also got the matching gas dryer (without steam) and had them delivered for $1800 so I'd say that is a good deal. I think the washer was just under $900 and the drier was a hair over $900. We needed them ASAP so we paid. But I think they are good machines.
    ...See More

Loaded question: Good all around washer/dryer on the market today

Q

Comments (27)
    I don't know much about different brands because most of my appliance purchases have been made at Sears. That has come to an abrupt end. The last two have needed service calls right away. My washer was one of them and I didn't know I was buying a washer that was "sort of" an HE. I have no control over the amount of water. I have learned to wash my large loads in the "bulky" cycle because the tub fills completely on both wash and rinse. My washer cleans on a low water cycle but doesn't rinse well AND I am not using to much soap. The jean will practically stand a lone when dry because there is soap left in them and they irritated my skin. I started using the 2nd rinse and they are soft again. While I was at Lowes a couple of days ago I checked out the washers. I did find a couple that allowed you to set the water level.
    ...See More

Is putting a washer dryer set in a bathroom a good or bad idea?

Q

Comments (14)
    Thanks you guys. I have gained confidence that this will work. But I might have to move the wall a foot to make enough room. My plumber was here today to look at things for my other bathroom remodel that I am doing. I had him look at this new laundry space idea in the other bathroom. He suggested that I just put the washer/dryer in the bedroom next to the bathroom instead of moving the wall into the bedroom. I was concerned about making the bedroom too small. His response was "but you're not using it as a bedroom any longer, and as a guest room you don't need too much room anyway...you don't want to make it too comfortable for guest" then he grinned. I might just consider this as an option. I could create a small closet in the bedroom on the other side of the bathroom wall that could accommodate the stacked set. This would leave the bathroom layout as is. I just might do that :)...Next year.
    ...See More
  • User
    8 years ago

Ha! If I could do it over I would spend the same money repairing my old washer as I spent on the new one. The new ones are for California drought so you won't get much choice in water level. Particularly on the rinse cycle my washer starts to agitate before there's enough water in the tub to float the clothes. I have lots of clothes with wear spots on them which I blame the agitator rubbing against them. Now that I know, I set my timer and open the lid of the washer until it fills. PITA.

• Debbie B.
    8 years ago

Hi Desertsteph! I've owned several washers and dryers over the course of my life. I would like to replace the ones that are in the house I'm buying, but they're only about 7 years old and in perfect working condition, and being on a shoestring budget, I can't justify it. The reason I would switch is because they are HUGE! They're both top loaders. To get stuff out, I have to use my grabber/reacher tool, because no way can I lean in and reach the bottom with my arm! They also have a "computerized" thing with just way too many options. You know me, I'm all about the latest technology, but c'mon--it's a washing machine, not a rocket to the International Space Station!

When my parents bought their MH in 1973, it came with Kenmore washers and dryers. When they sold the house in 2007, the same ones were there and worked beautifully. I know some people look down their noses at Sears, but honestly, the best working washers and dryers I have owned have either been Kenmore or Whirlpool. They may not be fancy, but they're work horses. I've owned other, more expensive washers that couldn't go the distance when I was doing laundry for me, DH, and 3 kiddos.

Is there a reason you want a top loader? I know for me, with my disability, front loaders are way easier on my ole body. You do have to lean down, but on the other hand, I think the next time I buy a washer and dryer I will build a tall base so the doors are about my chest level.

I will only buy appliances that are Energy Star Certified. First, because I believe in conserving our precious resources. Second, because I can get a rebate from the county...it's not a lot of money, but it's something! In my area, Sears (which also does sell Whirlpools) delivers for free and does basic hookup too. I don't know anything about impellars, so I can't advise you on that. But I do know that agitators are very hard on clothes. Another reason to get a front loader.

I think you can't go wrong with Kenmore or Whirlpool. Sears has good warranties, and so does Home Depot. I've used some LG appliances that are very good. They're more expensive. But I haven't used an LG washer, so I can't really say anything about them.

Hope this helps! :-)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    8 years ago

Speed Queen.

• stringweaver
    8 years ago

We just got an LG washer/dryer all in one at work. I've been impressed with it. There is room for an apartment sized stacker in my closet, but I am leaning toward the all in one and a bit of counter space on top of it. It is expensive though.

• Rudebekia
    8 years ago

My understanding is that many of the newer models don't "do" hot water anymore--unless you pay more for an upgrade. My ancient Kenmores are still running well so I'm content with them for now and have decided to replace them only when they finally break down.

• desertsteph
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Imhappy&Iknowit IOWA - I agree, the older ones probably are better. they used to last longer!

I've read online that washer 10 yrs old and back used about 40 gals to wash - didn't say if that included the rinses or not...

said newer ones only use 23 gals. again didn't say if that included the rinses - or what size the load was.

maybe they're set to only fill to 23 gals no matter how large the load...

I prefer not to cram so much into 1 load that the clothes can't move around freely.

Cassandra - I'd probably never use hot water again - tho did when doing diapers back in the 70s.

I think when the time comes (next few months hopefully) I should look at a scratch and dent place. Sears usually has one of those. That wouldn't bother me at all. it often happens over time anyway. I'd rather save the $s than be minus a scratch or dent.

thx to all who have responded. I am reading them and learning! it's been so long since I've bought an appl - well, until I bought my used stove and dw. my fridge was about 17 yrs ago.

• JustDoIt
    8 years ago

Kenmore or Whirlpool.

• eld6161
    8 years ago

Speed Queen. I couldn't wait for my HE front loader to go so I could go back to a regular washing machine with actually enough water to clean the clothing.

• desertsteph
    Original Author
    8 years ago

" so I could go back to a regular washing machine"

how much water ? lol! I know my sister hasn't been pleased with her front load machine. she still has one - not sure if it's the same one she originally had tho. I also don't remember what brand she has.

• desertsteph
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I've spent a good amount of time a few days back reading reviews on lowes/home depot. enough to spin the brain! some like this one and some don't.... same with the next one I check out... sometimes I wonder if they're reviewing the same machine. thought I'd go blind too...

I think it was one of the cheaper ones - about 400.00 that got the best reviews - to me anyway. it was more like the old style. It had a way around the automatic water amt per load size. and the option of warm water wash. and no lid lock on it (I wouldn't like a lid lock - I doubt my dog is gonna try to hide in there).

i'll periodically check to see what is on sale and call a local store that is known for sales on last yrs model or scratch/dent. hopefully I'll find a decent old style one before summer. maybe mid May.

• dockside_gw
    8 years ago

I still have the Maytag we bought in 1987. Never have had to repair it. Got a Kenmore dryer in 2000 and a repairman (who removed a dime which fell between the outside case and the inside drum and made a lot of noise which we thought was from the motor) told me to get it repaired if it ever went out as it was much better quality than the ones now being sold. I'm pretty sure that applies to washing machines as well.

• desertsteph
    Original Author
    8 years ago

my first w/d were maytag. they were still holding up /no repairs 20 some yrs later.

my sister bought Kenmore appls in mid-late 2000s for her new home. she's had problem after problem with them. she says she'll never buy anything Kenmore again. the washer repair guy told her they had lots of problems with them.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    8 years ago

Kenmore hasn't actually made appliances in many, many years. They rebadge other brands, so it would be a good idea to find out what her Kenmores really were. For instance, I have a 2005 Kenmore DW that is actually made by Bosch, but they were also selling DWs made by other manufacturers at that time, too.

• desertsteph
    Original Author
    8 years ago

writersblock - she's had them for about 8-10 yrs now. would it say who actually made them in her appliance guide book?

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    8 years ago

Probably not. You might be able to do an online search for the model numbers to find out.

• Debbie B.
    8 years ago

Hard to beat those old Maytags.. Remember those old tv commercials with Gordon Jump (from WKRP in Cinncinati) as the lonely Maytag repairman? He just sat around waiting for someone to call, but no one ever did because their Maytags never needed repairs, lol!

• bkay2000
    8 years ago

Maytag is not what it used to be. Now, warranty is handled by a warranty company, not the Maytag man. I needed a part for an appliance and it was going to take 3 weeks to get it even though it was available on the shelf 3 miles away. Since it was our third warranty repair on the freezer, Home Depot took it back.

I bought a whirlpool washer in the last couple of years. They sold me on the "save water" feature. I will never do that again. It has no agitator. It squirts water through the clothes to clean them. If water doesn't squirt through the item, it doesn't get clean. Examples are tennis shoes and bathroom rugs. I have to go to the laundromat to wash rugs.

bk

• nickel_kg
    8 years ago

Left our 20+ year old Kenmore set when we sold the house. Last July I bought new a "high efficiency" LG washer and dryer for the new house. The washer is top load and no agitator.

The dryer is fine. I hate the washer because (a) it takes a loooong time to run a load, and (b) little particles are still clinging to the wet clothes when I pull them out of the washer (they fall off in the dryer, but yuck!) and (c) stains don't come out as easily as they did in my old Kenmore and whites are not nearly as white as they used to be. I've tried all sorts of combinations of detergent, additives, cycles and double rinses.

So I'm looking for a basic washer, top load, with an agitator, and the ability for me to set high, medium or low load. And donating the LG washer to the local charity shop.

• desertsteph
    Original Author
    8 years ago

nickel kg - that's what I want - just a basic top load washer - like mega yrs ago!

bkay - will watch for that as a neg. I'm sure I would have - when I spent lots of time reading reviews, there were several that had complaints about a new type of 'agitator' - not like the old ones. I think it just pushed the clothes down.

from pics of them, it just looked weird.

• desertsteph
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I bought one today at HD, they had a hotpoint on sale for 388.00. sale ended today. the reviews on it are good. 4 star with about 440 reviews.

no lid lock, can adjust water level, has extra power rinse option, dispensers for bleach and for softener, an agitator. reviewers said they could wash a qn comforter in it. might have been a king... but I only need up to a queen. loads take from 22-30 gals so not a super water hog. It does have a plastic basket instead of metal, but I think it'll be ok since I don't have heavy duty clothes to wash or that many. no guy jeans or kid stuff to beat around in it.

set to be delivered on Thurs. but when I got home I realized they wouldn't be able to get it in here... no steps at patio door, back door has steps in wrong direction - with my security door, a person can barely get in as the security door opens toward the person and it has metal rails on 2 sides. and front doorway inside is blocked by a dresser that is too big for me to move. So until Jed comes here and moves it, no washer is getting in here!

i'll call tomorrow and delay delivery. I don't have a clothes line up now anyway. hope that can be done soon.

• harborrose_pnw
    8 years ago

Over a 40 year marriage dh and I owned two maytags, wonderful hardworking machines. A couple of years ago we just bought new maytags without even considering anything else. A year and a half later and after continual problems we bought a Speed Queen and I am thrilled to have a machine that does such a good job. I couldn't wait to get rid of that he maytag.

• desertsteph
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I've heard good things about the spd queen. one I looked up was 900.00+!

I got maytags back in '70 when my dd was a new born. 20 plus yrs later it was still working with no visits from mr maytag! about '93 one of them quit. I think the washer. my then bf bought me a new one. it got lost in numerous moves after that. I think it ended up at his house....

I'm hoping this one will work for me. I told the guy I'd see if I could get it to work for a few loads before I'd pay for a svc contract. i'll have to think on that. I think it was about 60.00 more for 5 yrs. parts and labor. might be worth it if I last that long...

I put off delivery til next Tues. hope to have Jed come by this wkend and move that dresser so they can get it in here. and put up 2 stretches of clothes line in the dogs pen. that's the only place I have for now where 2 posts can be reached within a reasonable amount of ft. I don't want one 100' or more across the land... 2 at about 8' should be fine temporarily. later he'll put a post in the ground and run it from there to the back of the house. the dead trlr is in the way right now...

btw, the dog hasn't been in that pen for over 2 yrs. she got used to the bed and a/c! tho, I might put her in there while the guys bring it in and set it up.

she barked like crazy at the a/c man yesterday. it hurt my ears. but I know she just thought she was protecting her cookie source and home.

• harborrose_pnw
    8 years ago

The basic SQ we bought was something over $600. I did see some in the appliance store that had more bells and whistles. I'm done with bells and whistles in a washing machine.

• desertsteph
    Original Author
    8 years ago

"bells and whistles"

Me too! I just wanted a plain 'ol top load type. this one got good reviews for that. no locking lid, water filled up, regular agitator, a few options for load size, water temp etc and an option for a power rinse - liked that one with living out here in the desert where things get so covered with blowing sand. and too, reading so many other machine reviews that said the detergent was caked on clothes (tho I use a liquid). and it had the bleach and softener dispensers. I used to use dryer sheets tho. will need to look for a liquid softener since I don't have a dryer - and will hang clothes outside. will need one w/no scent. I seldom use bleach, but might since I'll be able to put rags in the basket and soak them for a bit - and run a small load.

some washers didn't have both the bleach and softener dispensers. they had 1 for 10.00 less but it didn't have both dispensers - and had more limited options - only 2 dials. this one had 3. water temp, load size and 1 for whites, colors, power rinse options. but I didn't want anything fancier / more complicated. I figured it wasn't worth it to save 10.00 $s. I think I'd go nuts with a locking lid - that'd be horrible!

• harborrose_pnw
    8 years ago

I hope you love your new machine ... nothing like clean clothes, what a blessing.

• desertsteph
    Original Author
    8 years ago

thank you! I do too - and I love the smell of clothes after a few hours on the clothesline in the wonderful AZ sunshine! and the idea of having clean clothes without driving 60 mi round trip 3 towns away! it will truly be a blessing.

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County