SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
freedomtreeless

Modify cabinet from door & drawer to single door with mixer lift?

Melissa
8 years ago

I am considering buying a home that requires extensive remodeling. The kitchen is quality solid wood but hideous- yellowed pine with routed doors and wrought iron hardware... ick.

I'm trying to figure a budget for the kitchen remodel- and I'd like to just replace the cabinet doors and paint the cabinets white. However, I really want a place to install a stand mixer lift- which requires a single cabinet with no drawer above it.

Of course every base cabinet in the kitchen also has a drawer above the door. So I'm wondering if, while replacing all the doors and painting- could I remove a drawer, cut out the wood face between the door a drawer, remove the drawer hardware, and put in a larger door to cover the whole thing? Then I'd have an open cabinet I could use for my mixer lift.

Can it be done? ((BTW hubby and I are both very handy- he comes from a construction industry background. We build our own furniture, own all the necessary tools, etc. Just no prior experience with kitchen cabinets!))

Comments (11)