SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
enduring

Mid August Wedding Flowers and Planning.

enduring
8 years ago

New to this forum, but have been on GW since about 2011. Mostly in the bathroom, laundry, and kitchen forums. Glad to find this forum about Iowa gardening. My next few years are devoted to getting the outside of my yard organized and growing. I live on a family farm in central Iowa, north of DM. But now those plans of major yard work are scaled back this year because I am planning on doing all the flowers at my daughters wedding in mid August.

DD will have a rustic woodland prairie theme wedding. We will be at the Iowa Arboretum so the only flowers I will be responsible for are the center piece flowers. I have access to at least 1 small 5 acre prairie on our farm and several friends have prairies, one quite large. I am interested in having mostly flowers and a few grasses. From what I know about prairies is that the flowers will diminish and be over taken by grasses, unless burned, or grazed. Our prairie hasn't had either for 4 or 5 years, and its CRP ground so can't be grazed.

I am thinking of planting seeds in the basement under some lights. This will ensure that I have some flowers that are available when the prairie might be lacking. Her colors are purple and blue and ivory/light gold.

I have grown seeds of purple cone flowers, blanket flower, blackeyed susans with some luck, years ago. I need something that will bloom in August and this year. I am willing to plant other annuals other than natives too.

Any thoughts about my project will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading my plea :)

Comments (2)

Sponsored