SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardengranny2_gw

The garden in mid August ( very long and photo heavy)

gardengranny2
14 years ago

It has been quite some time since my last post.

In late June I saw my rheumatologist for my scheduled check-up which is mostly to monitor my blood work for side effects from the serious pharmaceuticals used to control my rheumatoid arthritis. These drugs can do major damage to the liver.

It had been about a year since my last major flare. The doc informed me that perhaps I had gone into remission. I was to wean off the meds and come back for my 3 month check up in October. Call him if I had any problems before then.

I started a major flare in the 2nd week of July. Everyday I hoped upon hope that it would dissipate on its own. I was totally immobilized. I couldn't even dress myself--needed DH's assistance.

Finally went to see the doc August 14. My joints all swollen and inflamed, unable to lift my arms, unable to fix my hair. DH did the best he could to help me look decent enough to go to the doc, but, oh well....

I was in such obvious bad shape that the doc was afraid to touch me for fear it would cause increased pain.

Evidently, the RA had been being controlled by the meds. I would have to take a double dosage of Plaquenil for the next 30 days in addition to my weekly dosage of methotrexate. At the end of 30 days I could return to the regular dosage of Plaquenil.

Since it takes time for these meds to build up in the bloodstream, he gave me a cortisone shot to help me make it for the next six weeks.

As a result, I have only this morning been able to get into the garden. Not to work---only to look.

Fortunately, DH has been on vacation. Good for me, but, I didn't want for him to use his vacation to be my nurse. His assistance on every front was welcomed and appreciated.

What a mess! There aren't many weeds, but there are weeds.

DH did remove stems of some things that were totally finished. Other than that, no dead heading has been done.

And it won't be. As I don't expect to be in any condition to work in the garden until at least next weekend, I am just going to start to put the garden to bed for this year.

Plus the fact that we are guardedly anticipating an hurricane by Saturday.

Somethings don't look too bad, but the rest is horrendous.

I am somewhat surprised by how much color is still left at this point. Somehow, I forget every year.

{{gwi:629295}}

{{gwi:629297}}

{{gwi:629299}}

{{gwi:629300}}

{{gwi:629301}}

{{gwi:629302}}

{{gwi:629303}}

{{gwi:629305}}

{{gwi:629306}}

{{gwi:629307}}

{{gwi:629308}}

{{gwi:629309}}