SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arialvetica

We fit an architect into our budget and it was SO worth it!

arialvetica
8 years ago

I got a LOT of valuable feedback from this group, so I wanted to follow-up!

If you learn NOTHING ELSE from this forum, the #1 lesson to take away... HIRE AN ARCHITECT. We were reluctant to do this because we knew it would add expense and time. And time-related expense. But I am 100% confident that it was worth it.

The second most valuable feedback was from Architectrunnerguy -- and his feedback was valuable in so many different ways.

1. First, his "design charette" process (as detailed here) Our architects had never done this process before, but we shared the link with them and they agreed to try it out. Compared to the traditional architect process, this was faster (a few weeks vs a few months) and cheaper ($5000 vs $35000). We do not get the same level of detail (we're choosing our own faucets, for example) or hand-holding (they aren't visiting the site to make sure the builder is hitting the mark), but we still got to work with professionals on our layout and overall home design.

2. Second, he provided a "second opinion" sketch/variation on the plan our architects came up with. I didn't use all of his ideas, but his input forced me to think outside the box and take those ideas to the architects for a follow-up meeting.

3. He gave me some gentle reassurance that everything was going to be okay. LOL! Until recently, I lived in Minneapolis where 99% of the houses are a variation on Craftsman, and I love Craftsman. But the plan our architects came up with leaned more Modern / Pacific Northwest. How they went down that road totally makes sense based on the floor plan, the lot, the surrounding buildings, and inspiration pictures I brought in, but I was feeling a little wary since it's such a departure from what I was familiar with. Talking to Doug (Architectrunnerguy) put me at ease with this new design direction, and also helped me draw the lines-into-modernism that I just can't cross (i.e. bendy walls LOL -- Doug will know exactly what I'm talking about!)

4. I got to hear Doug and his wife's "how we met" story -- I am a sucker for romantic "meet cutes" and his is right out of a romantic comedy. :D

We're finally breaking ground, and I'm really at peace with the direction the house is going. I am posting my floorplan and elevation drawings for those who saw where we started (and thus can see how far we've come). We've requested a few minor floorplan tweaks not shown here (e.g. changing door swing direction, widening certain doorways, etc) but what I'm posting is a pretty accurate representation of what we're building.

I'm not interested in second-guessing or "shoulda dones." This plan was developed through a thoughtful process with several architects who understood the advantages and disadvantages of our lot, understood our budget (and what that means in the context of building in our region) and truly got to the heart of what we need and want out of our home. I'm sharing my plan/thoughts here mainly to encourage everyone else reading this forum to HIRE A LOCAL ARCHITECT! :)

Comments (21)