SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
njbuilding143

Recommendations on fence/retaining wall problem..

njbuilding143
8 years ago

We are nearing the end of our build and as such the builder is rushing the final outside items.. Especially since winter is now inevitable here in NJ and temps are going to be drastically falling.. With that said I got a phone call from the builder and he inquired about the retaining wall he would be installing and our fence plans.. I told him we are planning to install a vinyl fence all along the side the property where the wall would be going.. He gave me two options.. He said he could push the wall as close the property line as possible and then we could build our fence behind/on top of it, OR, he could leave a space so that we could put the fence in front of the retaining wall.. The retaining wall ( as per our site plans) was supposed to be no more then 10-12 inches in height.. He said he needed an answer asap.. Based on the site plans I figured we would be better off putting the fence closer to the neighbors property and then having our wall behind the fence on our side. After-all, our grade would be close to even with the height of the wall... Well, I just stopped by the site and see they left about 1ft-1.5ft of space between the wall and neighbors property so we can install the fence, however the wall is looking like it will end up becoming a 2 - 2.5ft high wall.. Granted I could still plop down my fence between the wall and neighbors property, however the ordinance in my town specifies that I can only have a 4ft high fence in the front of the property.. Obviously if I put a 4ft fence in front of the wall we would only end up with 2ft of fence on our side.. Just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas on what would be the best method for handling this.. We could still put the fence behind the wall, however we would then essentially have given up 1.5 feet of our property.. The other option which I am not sure if it will meet the town ordinance is to drop a 6ft fence between the wall and the property line.. This would give us the 4ft at our grade level, but like I said, I am not sure if this will be "violating" the township ordinance.. The other option, and again not sure if it "violates" the ordinance, would be to install a 4ft fence but have it raised on the post.. Any ideas?

Comments (6)