SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jkziel

One story Modern Farmhouse Idea gathering

J idl
8 years ago

I love cute 2 story cottages or 2 story farmhouse style homes. I finished talking to some contractors and for whatever reason, 2 stories are more expensive to build where I live (it is universal with every contractor I have talked to). This explains why ranch style homes are everywhere here I guess! I want to get the most-bang for my buck, but balance the architecture that appeals to me.
We started narrowing down lot options, so far all are pretty straightforward and flat, my favorite is South facing. Almost all of the lots will require a front-loading garage.
Once we get more things squared away we will discuss with an architect, but there is a wealth of ideas on this board so I was coming here hoping someone would have some ideas in mind.

How to get a modern-farmhouse style without doing a 2 story?

PS I hate how light is blocked by having the living space in the middle of homes and bedrooms on one side of the house and the garage on the other, blocking out a lot of light. It seems like that arrangement is really standard around here too. I thought about doing a cool U shape style to try to gain more natural light in the main living areas.

Comments (12)