SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dyhgarden

The Heirloom Challenge (article link)

DYH
8 years ago

I'm struggling to keep my mom's antique china cabinet and several other smaller pieces. Since she died on the young side, I've had these few things for 30 years, The pieces feel dated, but then I found this interesting WSJ article as I search for ways to continue to integrate here things in my downsized (limited wall space) new house (built in 1939). I suppose I've been hesitant to paint her things since they're real wood. On the other hand, if painting allows me to keep her things, is that better than giving away/selling?

Comments (34)

• bpath
    8 years ago

Can they be refinished in a different stain, instead of painting?

If you love the piece, then do whatever it takes to make it look right. If not, don't be held hostage to it. I feel this all the time.

DYH thanked bpath
  • arcy_gw
    8 years ago

I was given a few things when my MIL was alive. She had refinished them years before so any value they had as antiques was gone before I got them. She only gave them to me because she had always hated them. She was "gifted" them from her MIL. I have no idea if they were treasures in the original owners life. I find them useful and so I keep them. When my MIL died we distributed what people wanted and the rest was sold. I do not comprehend this keeping of "treasures" if you really would rather LET IT GO!! I have no need to honor the wishes of people long dead, I never met..they got to choose their furnishings--why shouldn't we?

DYH thanked arcy_gw
  • Related Discussions

article link...fda approves first gmo flu vaccine

Q

Comments (34)
    Common sense, Eric. Still, you can't provide proof that there is such a thing as "prevention" using vaccines. When polio ran its course, THEN modern medicine came out with "vaccines" and said "Look what we've cured!!" You can't possibly quantify nor qualify those kinds of smoke and mirrors. But modern medicine wants to take credit for "curing" a disease that had already finished running its course. Spanish influenza ran its course. Biggest cause was social stress in the aftermath of WWI and poor nutrition. Not some virus. Remember, figures lie. And liars figure. Modern medicine is chasing its tail. Besides, one last dig at modern medicine: Vaccine use is based on the germ theory of disease. But I proved with deductive reasoning a long time ago that germs don't cause any disease. (Another subject entirely.) So, again, Eric. the vaccine therapies are built on an erroneous assumption. Remember the Welhausen Theory of Higher Criticism. If a theory is built on erroneous assumptions, then the whole theory has to be thrown out. HerbDoctor
    ...See More

Transplant Challenge

Q

Comments (1)
    Ok, the pictures didn't upload, so here's a link to the photos. http://dcsprout.blogspot.com/
    ...See More

Article in Scientific American about week Heirloom Tomato Genes

Q

Comments (10)
    Adzo, each of us has to manage our plants in a slightly different micro-environment called - OUR GARDEN. Even if we were to go to the same store and buy the same plants from the same batches and plant them in our gardens using identical amendments, etc.,etc., --we would get different results. The key is to learn what each variety/plant/species needs in our garden THIS SEASON. There are so many variables that the only things that are consistant are the inconsistancies. However, over a period of time (years/seasons) we can find a formula for a particular variety that seems to work in our garden this year. Then, just when we think we have solved it, another variable is shoved into the formula and we feel like we're back at square one. So, the search for ideal tomatoes is a very individual thing driven by the differences in OUR garden. For me, most of the fun in gardening and raising heirloom tomatoes is the year to year (or season to season) search for "this year's" formula. We celebrate when we hit it. Hopefully, we learn when we miss the target. Don't you just LUUUUVVVVVV this affliction????? Ted
    ...See More

Transplant challenge

Q

Comments (3)
    To root cuttings, (I am certainly no expert at it, having just completed my first two successful attempts) but I think that you would need a good sucker or growing tip at least about 4 inches long. You did not say how big the stray seedling is at this time. The only way to try to move it is to prepare the hole where you are going to put it first, then try to take a trowell or shovel and cut down around it on all sides, going as deep as possible to try to get as much of the roots intact and undisturbed as possible. Push the shovel under it and gently lift it out and drop it into it's new home. Firm the dirt aound the newly transplanted root ball and water in well. I would not fertilize it at this time, unless it might be to mix a little in the dirt under and around the new site so that the roots can grow out into it. If the plant is not too big, it probably will not even wilt if you do it right. Good luck and keep us posted. Post some pictures if you can. Bill P.
    ...See More
  • DYH
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Yes, I feel held hostage by her things, but I continue to hold on to them.

Here's the china cabinet, washstand and tea cart flanking it, my previous home and I want to break up this look and not repeat it:

I gave the RH chairs to my son as they were too large for the scale of my new dining room (paneled, painted white). The table is made from 100 year-old French oak, but not from my family.

I wish the china cabinet would fit in my new master bath because I think it would be great for storing linens. It would fit in my master bedroom.

The oak washstand would be a good bedside table -- IF I painted it another color!

The tea cart is very dark wood, with a removable glass tray top. It's fragile.

• deeinohio
    8 years ago

My parents had an oval mirror hanging in their entry my dad had "antiqued" many years ago. After my parents died, I decided to silver leaf it and, as I worked on it, I literally had tears running down my face as I destroyed something he had done with his hands. I then realized he had made the mirror fit his purposes, and would love that I did the same. OTOH, I have their 1947 solid wild cherry bedroom set with a dresser I am having similar angst about painting. I will probably do so but keep the rest of the set original. Your mother would love you want to use her things. Just make them your own.

DYH thanked deeinohio
  • selcier
    8 years ago

The china cabinet is hardly dated: its classic and the stain is beautiful. I always feel painting is a mistake. If you don't love it, sell it or give it to someone who will.

But I did enjoy the article. Most of the examples when beyond "just paint it with Sloan chalk paint" and were design focused. The one image of the 'primitive' bench integrated into the sleek white coffee table was quite interesting.

DYH thanked selcier
  • alex9179
    8 years ago

The cabinet is gorgeous. I would keep it as-is because once you paint something it's hard to go back. If the overall styling doesn't fit your aesthetic, then it should find a new home where it is appreciated. I don't think paint "fixes" that, anyway.

I like your thoughts about repurposing and would keep following that. A bookcase, linen closet (folded fabrics can look very pretty), etc. Try it in your new bedroom. It's worth a shot.

DYH thanked alex9179
  • DYH
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here's what happened...

A friend came by recently and she seriously dissed the china cabinet when I asked for her opinion about where to place it in the dining room! That's what got me going and hurt my feelings! She never said anything about it in my previous home, but obviously, didn't like it.

(It's sitting empty right now, stored in my sunroom out of the way of the renovation.)

My son doesn't like it and doesn't want to inherit it.

If people don't like it, maybe it needs to go somewhere more private, or, is there a way to change it up to make it more appealing to visitors?

Since I've always displayed white ironstone in it, I'm wondering if I could paint removable, foam core in navy blue or black to fit in the back to highlight the white dishes more.

• User
    8 years ago

I also like your idea to place the china cabinet in the bedroom. Would you still feel the need to paint it?

If the washstand would be a good fit if it were painted ... then go for it.

You obviously want to keep the pieces. Ignore comments from "friends".

DYH thanked User
  • DYH
    Original Author
    8 years ago

In the bedroom, I wouldn't paint it. But, I don't have Jimmy Choo shoes to display!

• User
    8 years ago

Like Alex said, folded fabrics can look just as pretty.

DYH thanked User
  • deegw
    8 years ago

I think if you can use an item in a different way it can have a fresh look. I know you aren't using the cabinet in your dining room any more. But, just for illustrations's sake, the way the china is arranged and the colors and shapes make the whole thing look are very, very traditional. If the cabinet was filled with a few colorful pieces of pottery it would have a whole different look. And look better with the rest of the dining room furnishings.

DYH thanked deegw
  • DYH
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It's true---I arranged the ironstone the same way that my mom did for the 30 years she had it; and, for the 30 years that I've had it. I do have many different pottery pieces.

I love the ironstone, so I need to figure out what to do with those pieces if I don't use those in the cabinet.

• deeinohio
    8 years ago

I like the china cabinet as is. I also like the ironstone and, since you do too, ignore your rude friend. I thought you were thinking of painting the smaller pieces, not the cabinet. Not everyone wants to live in a pottery barn catalog.

DYH thanked deeinohio
  • DYH
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes, I want to paint the washstand to use it as a bedside table, or, as a little side table in the sitting/TV room off the kitchen. It's oak and not a valuable piece...but, it's better made than what can be bought in store.

Downsizing is difficult, in so many ways!

• l pinkmountain
    8 years ago

Well, the real question is DO YOU LIKE IT? "People's" taste varies. One person's trash is another's treasure. I have just inherited many of my mom's things, and the things I am keeping both she and I liked. Luckily, we had similar tastes. The few things I don't like are not valuable anyway so I have no problem getting rid of them. Changing them is a separate issue and more related to what makes sense for both your home's aesthetic and your own likes and dislikes. It's kind of funny, because mom inherited several pieces that Grandma, (her mom) had painted. She promptly had them stripped and refinished. Took off all the slipcovers, etc. Now, I am thinking about painting some of her stuff, and adding slipcovers!! It's just my basic bent to try and re-use and re-purpose things in general, and I often get compliments on something I saved out of someone else's trash and have re-integrated into my home.

I'd ask myself is the piece working for me as far as needing a china cabinet, and do I like the style. If so, keep it. If the color and backing are the issues for you, then by all means change them up. It does not look to me like the wood grain is some gorgeous feature in that old piece, so paint or change out the backing if you like the style. But most important, don't worry about what other people think about YOUR furniture. Lots of people adore antiques. Now, if you hate them I would feel free to get rid of some or all of the pieces in the room. There's also a style that mixes antiques with modern. Not sure if there is a lot of literature on how to achieve this, but I have seen some interesting mixings and matchings, like metal modern chairs with a farmhouse style table. But then again, do you like that look? If you like it, go for it. But don't do it just because it is the "in" thing to do.

Oh, and I loved one of the click-through articles, titled, "If It's Broken, Fix It Right." That is a real challenge sometimes with quality pieces that need repair. Luckily on the furniture end, I know some wood workers who pride themselves in crafting things the old fashioned way. It's a little different when it comes to other things like clocks and dishes, (finding replacements, etc.) I have a gorgeous old ceramic mill that the hopper is missing for, and I wonder where I can find one to fit it.

Love this quote:, "“If a wing chair is in damask or orange rayon, forget about the fabric
    and focus on the silhouette of the piece and its scale,” said Mr.
    Carter. “Recovered in linen, it can be shockingly sublime.” Shockingly sublime is going to be one of my new catch phrases!!

DYH thanked l pinkmountain
  • Bunny
    8 years ago

is there a way to change it up to make it more appealing to visitors?

I'm sorry, but that is the last reason I'd make a major change to my decor. It reminds me of the recent thread about the horror of hanging images of real people in public rooms and eyes following guests.

I think the OP's friend was rude to "seriously diss" the china cabinet. Surely there was a way to suggest a change without making you realize she's hated that thing for years. I think it's a lovely piece, and I like the wash stand beside it, at least what I can see of them. In fact, I love your old dining room, but understand that you may want a different look in a smaller space. I am attached to some old things in my house. But if I didn't love them anymore, or couldn't fit them in my space, I'd see about finding new homes for them.

DYH thanked Bunny
  • DYH
    Original Author
    8 years ago

When I have it moved (not easy due to the curved glass) to the dining room, I'll try mixing choice ironstone pieces and pottery with a few useful and interesting items.

• cookbooks
    • dining linens
    • photographs/art

My new dining side chairs are modern windsor with low backs in a graphite color. The chairs for each end are cream wicker parsons.

This is my dining room chandelier. That one wider wall is the only place the china cabinet, at 54" wide, will fit. Viewed from the front foyer.

• User
    8 years ago

What is wrong with a friend that disses your Mom's china cabinet! My guess is she still has her Mom and has no clue what that loss is like.
    Yes, friends should be able to be honest with each other, but if you didn't ask her opinion, she was being quite rude.
    Love the new chandelier and your idea for mixing up what you display in the cabinet. I'd love to have one for each bedroom to store sweaters in. I also love seeing books and fabrics in them too. So many ideas of how to use china cabinets for things other than china. Personally I think anything that you'd put on a shelving unit would work in a china cabinet.

DYH thanked User
  • Anne
    8 years ago

Painting is a personal thing. I paint good wood....but some feel that is horrible. You have to decide for yourself. No one else should make you feel bad.

DYH thanked Anne
  • roarah
    8 years ago

I love your mom's piece! I am so looking forward to you reveal as for the bits I have seen of your restoration are beautiful! I think it looks great as is, and a 1930s dining room deserves a china cabinet if it comes without a built in one. If it is to large than use it elsewhere but if it fits it is lovely and its finish looks perfect.

DYH thanked roarah
  • Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

I really like your mom's china cabinet. I wouldn't hesitate to use it in my dining room. I think it could be lovely in other rooms as well.

DYH thanked Nothing Left to Say
  • jlc712
    8 years ago

Your china cabinet is very nice, especially the curved glass. Your "friend" is up in the night. That being said, don't keep furniture you don't want or like, no matter who it belonged to. Pass it on to another family member, or consign it.

I agree with Roarah-- I am really looking forward to seeing your completed rooms. Everything you have shown so far looks amazing.

DYH thanked jlc712
  • User
    8 years ago

I haven't been following your other posts, but I checked your profile and found your blog. I remember you from the Cottage Garden forum years ago. I always loved your gardens. It was because of you I grew agastache for a few years. I'm so sorry about your loss.

DYH thanked User
  • DYH
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you. I was WonByHerWits back then when I built a house in 2005. I spent a lot of time on the Cottage Garden and Perennials forums. When Houzz took over, I had DYHGarden as a username and that's the one I used.

• lovemrmewey
    8 years ago

I find that sometimes, when a friend expresses dislike for something you find or inherit, they just wish it were theirs!

DYH thanked lovemrmewey
  • l pinkmountain
    8 years ago

I'm just going to add one more thing to the discussion, and that's if you're a collector, (like me) it is nice to have a nice display case for collections, because you don't have to dust them!! At my last house, I rounded up all the dust catchers and put them in two display cases. It's a look. It's called "Cabinet of Curiosities." Google it, the pictures will make your head spin!

DYH thanked l pinkmountain
  • User
    8 years ago

You asked: "On the other hand, if painting allows me to keep her things, is that better than giving away/selling?"

Do you have children who would likely want to inherit these items? If so, then this should come into your consideration.

I have discouraged family members from painting heirlooms on several occasions only because, like this article, I realize there are options for incorporating such furniture into anyone's decor (although the Darryl Carter piece is fantastic!). It just takes some experimentation which few have the patience for. But for as long as these pieces live, our own lives are too short to accommodate something that's more of a chore than a joy.

DYH thanked User
  • DYH
    Original Author
    8 years ago

My son has no interest in the china cabinet, but he wants to inherit all the English ironstone from the 1800s because he's an archaeologist with interest in the history. His wife has very modern tastes--for now. My stepson and his wife are more likely to have an interest later on, as they have eccentric tastes, mixing industrial, modern and antique.

• User
    8 years ago

I've always loved your china cabinet and ironstone collection, but not so sure I love your friend! Even if it isn't her taste, she should take your feelings into consideration.

I had a tea cart that not only was my maternal grandmothers, but it was purchased at my paternal grandfather's furniture store. I had it for 20 years, but when it came time for moving sale, I gladly sold. The way I looked at it, while my grandmother might have been disappointed in my actions, she would have understood my feelings. And only someone that wanted would purchase, so they were going to get to enjoy the piece like we had enjoyed for decades.

I hate to see good wood painted, but it is your piece and if that makes you happy, while fitting piece into your new home, then paint away. If it is weighing you down and you no longer enjoy having the piece in your home, then it's time to let it go to someone else to enjoy.

I have a few ironstone pieces in the main level laundry, mixed in with birdcages. I had the trim carpenter build it for this purpose. Do you have place in yours to do the same? A glass front cabinet in the kitchen to spare some space for display? Maybe split the collection, keeping some and sending some to DS with the thought he can have it all once you no longer want.

DYH thanked User
  • alex9179
    8 years ago

The only person who matters in the "keep or release" see-saw is you.

I've had a friend tell me that a lot of my furnishings aren't to her taste (or make a derogatory remark). Ok, why do I care? And, not nice. She won't change my mind and I just chalk up her behavior to the fact that everyone has flaws ;)

I don't bring things into my home for other people and you shouldn't worry about it, either. I keep what is useful and what I enjoy. DH is ambivalent about it unless I need him to move something heavy - I will hear a negative comment or two! If the pieces aren't useful or you don't enjoy them, then look into selling them to fund the purchase of a piece that suits you better.

The question of whether to paint, or not, is up to you, too. I wouldn't because I think the cabinet beautiful. The lines/dimensions don't change with paint. I'm looking at you, ugly 70s dresser in french grey.

DYH thanked alex9179
  • nosoccermom
    8 years ago

Having read all responses, but I love that cabinet and would not paint it. If you want some color, how about using removable wall paper or fabric on the inside.

DYH thanked nosoccermom
  • funkycamper
    8 years ago

I'll join the cadre saying that you should decorate your home for yourself, not your friends or ancestors. Especially rude friends.

If you like the cabinet, I like the idea of putting false painted or wallpaper backs in to give a different look. You could also add interior lighting.

If you don't care for the cabinet, I would rather see you sell/give it to someone who appreciates it than paint it. But it's your call on that. If painting it will make you love it, go for it. But it's hard to go back.

DYH thanked funkycamper
  • artemis_ma
    8 years ago

I have a ton of furniture that used to belong to my grandparents and my parents.

I am going to be letting go of the dining set, for practical reasons.

I am NOT painting anything I am keeping -- this style of furniture for one will look rather bad painted, and I am more into wood than painted stuff anyway. But it is interesting as I prepare to downsize and move -- what I am interested in retaining.

I never felt that I had to have a style... People would say that all their furnishings were Ethan Allen, or Ikea -- and I'd just look around me and see the function. Hand me downs, tag sales, pine furniture I finished myself... (I did know the presswood stuff was very suboptimal from the get go, but it fit the early budget.)

Frugality (or maybe just cheapness) has kept me from designing entirely to my own taste, and will probably continue to do so -- but on some level I'm happy with most of these heirlooms -- the dining set actually less so because it isn't really practical for my needs... and I have the sturdy, hardy kitchen table my parents once used, and if it does indeed have a leaf or two down there in the basement or garage, it is golden... at least for a few more years.

Seemingly, I'm better at doing style for the rooms themselves in my future home (and here). I have a handle on preferred colors and fixture style... We'll see..

DYH thanked artemis_ma