SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sherrygirl5

Bewitching "B" daylilies

sherrygirl zone5 N il
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I have some B's this year, most were new to my yard.

Belle Cook was one of my new favorites. The wet weather didn't seem to bother this great plant. The flowers were big and nicely formed. A wonderful shade of pink.
Bark at Me did well also. Good sized flower and held its color.

Comments (46)

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Found another, Brocaded Gown. This one did ok, it's my favorite shade of yellow. It held its color well.

Sherry

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    8 years ago

Love the seersucker pattern on Broacaded Gown's petals. And how can you go wrong with the form on Belle Cook..........I'll add one of my all time favorite oranges to the mix. Unfortunately I don't have this anymore as it is not rust resistant and got the heave ho the one time I had rust. It's a unique shade of coral/orange that I've never seen duplicated. It was recommended by someone ages ago on this forum and I recommend it too for it's unique color if you have reliable rust killing winters......Maryl

BITTERSWEET DESTINY

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
  • Related Discussions

Daylily Alphabet 2012--The B's

Q

Comments (26)
    Geez,there are over 800 photos in the "B" category,so this is just a small sample. I haven't even gotten to "Blue" in the alphabet yet1 BIG FLAT FLOOZY: BIG GEORGE: BIG HEARTED LADY: BIG ROLLER COASTER: BELLA NOTE: BEN WEBSTER: BETTY FORD: BETTY'S PICK: BIG BIRD'S FRIEND: BIRDWING BUTTERFLY: BIT OF BLUE: BILL CHAPMAN: BLACKJACK CHERRY: BLACK ARROWHEAD: BLACK FALCON RITUAL: BLACK HANDLEBARS: BLACK ICE: BLACK LAPIS: BLACKBERRIES AND CREAM: All for now!
    ...See More

Daylilies 2015 B

Q

Comments (5)
    Hi again Arif ....just thought i would mention that sometimes even if a bloom isnt particularly what you want the genetic opportunities that it might offer may be. I keep lots of daylilies not because they are perfect from the get go but because there may be a feature about that plant that could potentially lend its genes to the next generation . This is called a bridge plant . For example let's say i have one plant that isnt particularly spectacular bloom wise , however I keep it because it is tall , strong scaped, multibranching with a really good bud count . I use it to breed with because those are all traits that I want in my seedlings and so I use the pollen to pass on those traits to my seedlings. What I cross it with is what I use to try to put a pretty face on a good strong well branched high bud seedling . Of course many will not have the face or the traits I want in a plant but a few will and that is success. Signet
    ...See More

be-WITCHING "W" daylilies

Q

Comments (28)
    Karen, I'm so pleased that Wonder of it All is so happy in your garden! Your photo illustrates how impressive it can be. So beautiful. It always had tons of buds and was a vigorous plant here and I wanted so much for it to 'straighten out' it's bud opening issues....but sadly it rarely ever had a decent bloom. It's just too cold here at nights for those with the heavy edges. After I sent you yours, I saved a couple fans to give it another chance....but ended up sending the remaining fans along to someone else here on the forum. When it actually opened all the way it was a sight to behold. It is a gorgeous daylily.
    ...See More

B daylilies 2020

Q

Comments (46)
    Celeste , your images are fantastic. So many very very nice daylilies .I am gobsmacked by your image of Buzzer Beater but when I checked the images on NGA seems your images are the only ones that show a purple Buzzer Beater ( guessing this is your soil causing the outstanding purple ....perhaps more acidic than most soil ? ) Everyone else's images show more of a burgundy color . So unless I was growing in your conditions , unfortunately, this is not one I would choose for my gardens because our soil is so alkaline . I would , I think, just be big time disappointed in the color that the plant would manifest here . Are purples like hydrangeas that change color with the soil composition ? My fav out of all your images is Balalaika followed by Bird Talk.! Maryl .Am I missing something ? I did not see a daylily called But Wait there is More?
    ...See More
  • mantis__oh
    8 years ago

Born to run (the pic shows the variance)

Butter Pecan (great here this past year)

Buenos Aires

Boundless Beauty (more vigorous than most recent Stamiles)

Belief in Vein (very upright display)

Be Here Now (nice later one)

Barracuda Bay

Bold Tiger

Bold Encounter

Boney Maroney (low bud count)

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked mantis__oh
  • mantis__oh
    8 years ago

Black Ambrosia (above)

Blue Pink Beauty (wonderful here)

Belle of Ashwood

Better Than Ever (not large, but abundant)

Barney

Bela Lugosi

Bandshell

Banana Creme Beauty

Black Eyed Bully (didn't do well here last year)

Black Falcon Ritual

• mantis__oh
    8 years ago

Blazing Saddles

Brookwood Lee Causey (not large)

Bunny Eyes

• Brad KY 6b
    8 years ago

Sherry, I really like Bark at Me. Mantis, I recall one of the guys a couple of years ago saying Blue Pink Beauty gave them a ton of buds. Does it do that for you?

Beryl Quinn, good bloomer.
    Bittersweet Holiday. Vigorous, bright.
    Bold Vision. Very reliable, lots of buds, reliable rebloomer.
    Big Smile. Varies from year to year. Hates to be disturbed.
    Brooklyn Twist. Huge, reliable. Sometimes reblooms
    Bali Watercolor. Big and showy. Not a long season, but a great one.
    Belle Isle Sentry. One of my best bloomers. First to open, reblooms late enough it is often the last one left. Lots of blooms, but very slow to increase.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Brad KY 6b
  • Brad KY 6b
    8 years ago

Becky Lynn.
    Barbara Mitchell. So far hasn't bloomed as well as I'd hoped.
    Brave World. I wish I had more blooms. So pretty.

Burgundy Glow. Reliable, lots of flowers, short.

• mantis__oh
    8 years ago

Blue Pink Beauty is not a fast grower. It is fairly well budded, as I recall--nothing extraordinary here.

• AaronK79
    8 years ago

Bela Lugosi

Blackberries and Cream

Bold Tiger

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked AaronK79
  • Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    8 years ago

There are some new ones here that I'm liking. I usually don't go for creamy colored daylilies, but that picture of Be Here Now is just luscious. Bold Vision is striking too. Also great pictures of Bela Lugosi. I can never get a true picture of it. One of two pretty good sunfast/colorfast dark purples in my garden.....Maryl

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Mantis, does Boundless Beauty open well for you? I would like to add a heavily ruffled one but not sure if they would open well here.

Two really nice posts of Bold Tiger,have to think about that one.

Brad, like your Brooklyn Twist, I'm searching for another spider. Ripped out the only spider I had, was so disappointed with it.

Sherry

• mantis__oh
    8 years ago

Boundless Beauty generally opens well, but there can be some disasters. The percentages are quite good; I am quite intolerant of those cultivars that persistently have problems opening. Of course, you are farther north, but I doubt that your morning temps are that different. Bold Tiger is a nice later one, but not large, and the bud count is not great; it has a good number of scapes and multiplies quite quickly. A reliable show giving a nice spot of color; but one wishes it hung around for longer.

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    8 years ago

Sherry I see why Belle Cook is a favorite. Love the yellows like Brocaded Gown that are pale without being washed out. All are outstanding from everybody!

Kennedy could and probably should have chosen a different name for this Blue Sheen
    Buffy's Doll is still pleasing to me despite (or maybe because of) the fact that the flowers are almost nestled in the foliage.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
  • mantis__oh
    8 years ago

Sherry, your Bark at Me does not look like other pics of that one. Perhaps Lake Norman Spider?

• Brad KY 6b
    8 years ago

Sherry, The best spider by far for me is Carmen Renee. It's a fast increaser, puts on a long great show. One of my top daylilies in general. Brooklyn Twist and Peacock Maiden are next on my list of good spiders.

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    8 years ago

The first few pictures were taken in Florida last May. I don't grow these now.

Blossoms Blooming has amazing color. It is registered as dust pink with a patterned blue eye. To me it was soft melon with a lavender eye. Whatever you call it, the colors were amazingly clean and pure. It was too expensive for our purse but maybe later when the price goes down, we will try it.

Barbara Mandrell (this one was growing in Georgia) has a nice watermark and edge.

We do grow Bella Isabella, but our first one was eaten by a vole its first winter. Our second one was planted last summer but did not bloom. This flower was at Tim Bell's garden.

I like the fanciness of the edge on Better Half, but I wish the eye color was more saturated. This flower's grandparent is New Paradigm. It has the same faded eye, but better form than its grandparent.

The rest of the pictures come from our garden. This is Bass Gibson. This one just keeps getting better every year. It's a reliable seed setter too.

Best for Last is a pretty late variety. Bob and I like to seek out fancy late tets to extend our season. We do get some rebloom here, but there's a great deal of difference between the display that a rebloom scape here and there makes and that of the first flush. This one is not yet established, but it looks like it will perform well.

This Florida bred daylily, Better by Design, looks like it might like our climate. It's not yet established but is doing very well so far.

Bewitching Eyes, a Florida-bred Petit hybrid, made it through last winter with flying colors.

Bob loves the tall ones. This is Big Bird's Friend. It is probably my favorite of the tall ones he grows. The flower is quite large. My question is why do the tall ones always have to be plain yellow (not my favorite color)?

Here's another plain yellow, but it is probably one of my two favorite yellows. It is Bill Norris and a finer daylily you will not find. It's well budded, tall, flowers that hold up well, and will throw some rebloom scapes. It's a Stout Medal winner too.

I will put the rest of my B's in another entry.

Nancy

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    8 years ago

Bodacious Bite continues to be a favorite of ours. I don't think this one is widely grown, but it should be. It's an offspring of Fooled Me and Forestlake Ragamuffin. It has a nice edge and is a very consistent flower, always giving a perfect bloom that lasts well through the day. It sets seeds too.

This is Bonibrae Seymone. This is not well established yet, but you would think it would do well here because it is Canadian-bred.

Bristling Fury has taken a long time to show us what it can do and I am still not sure it is there yet. In its defense, it was a tiny little thing when we purchased it (and paid a lot too). It is giving us some interesting looking babies.

We love this one. This is Broadway Spotlight. It has done well for us. We wish we could get the intensity of its color in a full-sized daylily.

Bubba on Tour is a beautiful daylily. Bob selected it because of its flower size and flatness, but we usually don't go for the pastel ones. I don't think I have seen 7 inches on a flower here, but you can see from the photo that we let the weeds get ahead of us. The weed in the picture here is Asiatic dayflower. It has a beautiful blue flower, but you do not want it to get started. It is a very nasty weed that is very invasive.

I usually don't like posting pictures with hands in them, but I'll make an exception. I am really excited about this daylily. It was sent as a bonus from James Hall with a tag that said Buddy's Kristi. I could not find the name in the AHS database and thought perhaps someone had make a mistake when writing the tag. We waited for it to bloom so we could contact Hall. Before we could do that, he posted some new 2016 entries on the lily auction and this was one of them. The name was correct after all. I have never had a hybridizer send me a new intro the year before it was introduced.

Buzz Saw is supposed to be a good rebloomer but does not for us. It's a sibling to Heavenly Pink Fang and Puffer Fish but is quite short in our garden.

Butter Me Up is another of Bob's yellows. It is a nice flower, quite large and flat.

Richard Norris's But Wait, There's More usually is single at the beginning of the season and doubles on the rebloom. It's a vigorous plant with nice tall scapes.

Burning Inheritance is one Bob picked. I like orange but am not crazy about orange selfs.

We also grow Butter Pecan, which does very well for us. I won't post a picture since Mantis already did (and I'm out of space).

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    8 years ago

Loving the orange and yellows Nan. I got Burning Inheritance last year too and it's a keeper in my garden. Sunfast/colorfast. A big big plus for brighter/darker colored daylilies. Broadway Spotlight is neat too and Bass Gibson draws my attention. I don't know what the price is on it now, but it was way too rich for my blood when it first came out..............Maryl

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Mantis , I agree with you that my Bark at Me doesn't look like the database pictures. I didn't investigate it when I ordered it, just liked it. I ordered it from Oak Hill Daylilies in central Illinois, all I can say is mine looks like the picture from her gardens. I don't feel it is Lake Norman Spider either. Sounds like I need to send them a note and ask about it.

Sherry

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Mantis, (or anyone else who is interested) Oak Hill Daylilies got their original Bark at Me from Gary Colby an AHS officer and very knowledgable. They have been growing it for 12 years and there was never any doubt of its identity. They are going to check out the data for it, they want to know what they are selling is correct. I also know that conditions play a part in flower appearance etc. I did find a nursery in Ohio that has a plant that looks like mine for purchase. Gosh, I love this forum!

Sherry

• mantis__oh
    8 years ago

Nancy: Yes, I like the coloration of Bodacious Bite. Unfortunately, it is very hard to locate. The growers still just invest in the cultivars of big-name hybridizers. Do keep us updated this summer on the performance of some of the newer Southern ones.

Sherry: I see one picture from Maple Gardens that looks like your Bark, but all the others have narrower segments and a prominent eyezone.

• Julia WV (6b)
    8 years ago

BACK TO THE FUCHSIA

BACKSEAT ROMANCE

BALLERINA ON ICE

BERMA ABERCROMBIE

BLACK EYED BULLY

BLACK FALCON RITUAL

BLUE-EYED BUTTERFLY

BLUE RIDGE BUTTERFLY

BOSS LADY

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Julia WV (6b)
  • Brad KY 6b
    8 years ago

Berma Abercrombie is one of my favorites.

• mantis__oh
    8 years ago

Bill Fall a later one, very bright, but not high bud count

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Bill Fall is really nice. Later blooming is always a good thing. It seems a great percentage of the late bloomers are some form of yellow.

Sherry

• KarenPA_6b
    8 years ago

So many pretties! Love Blazing Saddles, Bella Isabella, Bass Gibson, Blue Eyed Butterfly, and so many others... I don't have any new B's but the old reliable oldies that did very well last year:

Blueberry Candy

Blessing

Big Snowbird

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked KarenPA_6b
  • Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    8 years ago

Um...That Blessing is a new one to me. I like it............Maryl

• jean_ar
    8 years ago

I really like that purple of Bela Lugosi. a beauty. BALLERINA ON ICE is a very pretty one, too.I, too, like that Blessinglove that color.Love that eye on BLACK FALCON RITUAL, soo pretty.some really nice blooms here.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked jean_ar
  • mantis__oh
    8 years ago

Another pic of Big Snowbird, a nice older dip.

Hardly worth a separate post, but here is old Beloved Deceiver, a nice small flower that grows fairly well here, but is nothing to get excited about.

• mantis__oh
    8 years ago

No one posted Beautiful Edgings. While it took too much space in my main garden, I put it into the hospital garden.

8 years ago

I found a couple more B's.

This is Borders on Bordeaux, another one from Richard Norris. It is fairly new to the garden but I expect it to perform well.

This is a better picture of Best for Last.

We fell in love with this one at Nicole DeVito's garden last May. This is Bites Like a Thousand Teeth and I am happy to say we now have one in our garden. I hope it comes through the winter ok.

• deangreen
    8 years ago

Blue Balloon (Lambertson 2013)

Bisque (A Viette 1984)

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked deangreen
  • mantis__oh
    8 years ago

Good to see you back on the forum, Dean. I missed your posts last summer.

• deangreen
    8 years ago

Thanks mantis, I was undecided about the gardenweb -> houzz change, decided to check on the "forum" today and it gave me a nice reason to look back over last summer's flowers! ha :)

Bold Awakening (Carpenter 2008)

I'm considering naming this one as Blue Valentine....

• mantis__oh
    8 years ago

I wish I could grow those Carpenter evergreens. Blue Valentine is a great name. Looks somewhat pansy-like in the eye pattern.

How could I have forgotten Betty Ford? Great performer here last year.

8 years ago

Dean, I really like your seedling--what a beautiful eye and clean colors too. Bold Awakening is beautiful too.

• deangreen
    8 years ago

thanks hoosie!

I'm compelled to add two more after weeding the garden some today in the nice weather after work, what light I had, I noticed some names that were with B that I failed to include before:

Baby Dragon's Tongue, it's a basic small red, but if anyone landscapes, it increases like crazy!

Balloons Rising (M Skinner 2010) photo doesn't do it justice, but it's a nice little one that recurves and thus the name....

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Original Author
    8 years ago

An update on my Bark at Me. The nursery I got it from checked the AHS website, etc. and agreed it wasn't BaM. They have removed it from their website and are trying to get in contact with the AHS officer they got it from, no answer so far.

Sherry

• shive
    8 years ago

I like Big Snowbird in both your photos! The B's are all beautiful! Here's a few more from my garden.

Baja California

Barbara Mandrell

Bullfrog Kisses

Border Blessed

Biltmore Style

Debra

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked shive
  • sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Debra! Glad you are posting! Great photos as always.

Sherry

• Brad KY 6b
    8 years ago

Debra, Barbara M. & Bullfrog Kisses are really nice!

8 years ago

I love Bullfrog Kisses. We added it last spring but it didn't bloom. I hope it's hardy.

• Brad KY 6b
    8 years ago

Forgot about Back Draft. Doesn't open all the way quite frequently. One last chance is a new spot this year.

• signet_gw(6b)
    8 years ago

I haven't met a daylily I didn't like ! Here are a few of my "B" daylilies .

• KarenPA_6b
    8 years ago

I like Buttercream's color and open flat form very much.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz