SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neal_borowiak

New home in St. Louis Missouri.

Neal Borowiak
8 years ago

Hi all,

My wife and I have recently purchased a house and we are needing some decorating tips for our living room. I have decided to attach some photos of what we have currently for furniture and our area rug. We also were thinking about purchasing this Cameron Console Table from Target, we like it in both colors and aren't sure which color we should have it in. We have gray walls, maple (color) wood floors, and white crown molding and baseboard. We are going to be getting either a floating entertainment center to go under the TV or we might just get one that has legs and is the traditional entertainment center. We will also be hiding the wires so it looks clean. We are open to any ideas and suggestions!

Comments (9)

• K Sissy
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I don't see any crown molding, but, I would definitely put some up when you can. It doesn't look like there is much light that comes into that room, so I would definitely paint it a color that is lighter and reflects light. The console table is okay. Where would it go? The link that you posted is from Kohl's. Kohl's offers good coupons, I would buy it there. I would go with a traditional entertainment center for that room. I think that it's very important to add several lamps to your room!

• User
    8 years ago

Hi, Neal, congrats on your house! I'm not sure what styles, colors, etc, you like, but some basic ideas to start with:

I would get an end table between the sofa and loveseat, with a colorful lamp, and a floor lamp for the other side of the sofa.

Curtain panels for the window.

I like your console choice in the lighter color, for some contrast with the dark furniture.

Artwork on walls.

Colorful pillows for the sofa and loveseat. (I just think the room needs some color and texture, but you may be wanting a more monochromatic look.)

Are you wanting a coffee table? If so, I think a narrow rectangular or oval one would look nice.

What is on the other side of the room (ie, how much space is there between your LR and what's next to it)? I'm just wondering if the way the LR is arranged now is the only way it can work, as the path to the hallway is so narrow.

• grapefruit1_ar
    8 years ago

Your furnishings are very lovely. The room will look so much better with the blinds either removed or raised. The natural light is important. I agree with everything that MzGG suggested.

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    8 years ago

As MizGG said, what space is there where the photograph is taken from? Is there a wall, or another room? I would try putting the chair on that side so the walkway to the hall is more open. Is the console for under the TV?

• Neal Borowiak
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here is the other side of the room. We are in need of help with that nook where the chair and floor lamp are. We are not sure of how to utilize that space, we were thinking of a buffet table but aren't sold in that idea.

Thanks again for all your kind words and helpful comments!

• chispa
    8 years ago

Move the sofa towards the door a bit, so that you can move the chair towards the window and give that hallway/walkway a little bit more breathing room. Your sofa/chairs look nice, but they are a bit oversized for the space you have.

• Olychick
    8 years ago

That rug looks great in your room, but I think I would pull it out a bit so it meets the tv table legs, or just under them. I think it would still be under the sofa legs that way, too. I would move the leather chair/loveseat so it is on the opposite end of the sofa with its back to the door. As someone else suggested, to open up the walkway to the hallway a bit. I'd look for a smaller chair, not brown leather, to go where it is now, so you have some interest and contrast and maybe some color. I'd find another room to place the chair in the nook. Do you have a dining room or do you need sit down dining in that nook? If you don't, it would be a great place for built ins, bookcases, etc. a console or antique buffet with art above it, or something similar. Maybe look for something interesting and inexpensive from Craigslist.

• lascatx
    8 years ago

This is the new room with exsisting furniture?

I do think a piece that will act as a landing spot in that nook is a better idea than a chair. It could be a table, bookcase, cabinet -- even a tall bookcase or armoire since yu don't have anything tall -- but do keep in mind depth and overall scale. Your room is already small for the upholstered pieces. In deciding what kind of piece, think about how your needs will best be served by something there -- what you want it to do raher than a space filler. Do you need an entry spot for coats and shoes? A spot to drop mail and packages when you come in? Do you have books and such or would shelving just be something to dust? Do you need media storage? Would you want a dry bar or serving area? If you don't know yet, don't rush into a furniture purchase -- work with what you have until you know what you need. When you do, a painted finish -- and consider a color for more interest than everything dark vs white -- and then some pillows to pick up the same color (yellow, orange, red, possibley green or blue -- Target has a Threshold Windham series in colors).

Before you hide wires, have you tried the tv on the wall where the other chair is now with the sofa oulled down towards the door? It would separate the room from the door, but it would also create a bit of an entry hall and more of a pathway in the hall to the other rooms on the other side of the tv. Is either that or the current location a problem for glare on the screen? Would you be able to let in more or less light through the window with the TV moved?

Do you have another room for that chair or possibly both chairs? If you have other chairs that are smaller that you could switch out for the ones in this room, it would help the room feel larger. Either way, you will need to limit yourself to one of the larger chairs in this room.

Don't rush -- it takes some time to figure out how a new space is going to live for you. Look at other rooms and play with things you already have before adding more. It's a no cost way to test your ideas if nothing else.