SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
xiangirl

FOTESS January 2016 Elvis Forever!!

Forget Educational Shirley and Hostess Jeanne. This is Crazy Heidi (the good crazy). I realize Christmas season isn't over yet, but for those of you who are cruising the internet and wondering what's coming...here it is! You have time to cogitate, breathe, sip your coffee and consider joining this swap.

Testing · More Info

Comments (96)

• sjc48
    8 years ago

Happy Birthday, Margo! Hope your day is Great!

Well, it's 4 days and counting without an Elvis sighting/moment. I did have a momentary shiver when I went to the Post Office on Saturday, I felt sure I would see an Elvis stamp, but no, not an Elvis in sight!

Have a good day, All!

Shirley!

• bluee19
    8 years ago

GM Everyone! I think I was meant to be in the Elvis Swap. Guess who I saw?

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Destiny! Pure destiny! I'm laughing my head off. I see Elvis every day. We have a male Elvis and a female Elvis at work. That's their real first name and they're both from Mexico! Yours is cuter, Nicole!

• brittneysgran
    8 years ago

Jeanne-Good to hear your eye surgery went well.

Vina- I love the fainting goats, they are so cute. Someday I hope to get a couple of them.

Margo-Hope your husband is still doing well.

Melinda-Have you had your surgery this month? If so I hope and pray you are doing well.

Heidi-I hope to mail your card in the next day or so.

Shirley

• brittneysgran
    8 years ago

Jeanne-Wonderful news and now it is behind you. Oh the no washing hair drives me

crazy. Always a new lease on life after the washing.

Shirley

Original Author
    8 years ago

Testing · More Info

• bluee19
    8 years ago

Look who I found today???

• sjc48
    8 years ago

Gee, thanks a bunch, Nicole! Is that popcorn? In a clear plastic guitar?

Good Grief!

Got out with the camera today and got some pics of a bird that I had to google to figure out what it was. Would you believe it was a Robin?! In fact, a whole flock of Robins. Really unusual for this area at this time of year. I kept thinking, "Naw, it's not a Robin, it's probably some rare bird that only I have seen here in Monroe." Sure glad I didn't go to the newspaper, before I googled it!

Hey, have a great evening,

Shirley!

• canyonwind
    8 years ago

Jeanne, "ELVIS" is on his way to you..........good one week follow up news report after your surgery. Be well......

Shirley (sjc), are you "bored" (since you are now retired)? I would guess not, as you have many interests. Boredom is interesting to me in that I can not recall ever being "bored". I have known many people over the years, who have retired and constantly say that they are "bored". I know many people who still work and say that they are "bored" on their days off. Some of them love their jobs and some of them despise going to work everyday....but they are bored. Funny, there are so many things to do of interest, that are fun and exciting that don't cost lots of money. I bring this up as I was I was just talking to a 30 something gal and she told me how bored she was....I told her she was to young to be bored. I don't get that!

Happy Friday!

Annie

• bluee19
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hey my partner EricaBraun ~ LUV LUV LUV getting mail from you girlie! Thanks for the lovely card with the seeds that flew to my mailbox. THANKS ERICA!!!

ELVIS SONGS/SEEDS

As long As I have you/Black Plum

Hawaiian Sunset/Orange Hawaii Marigold

Susan When She Tried/Black-Eyed Susan

Pocket Full of Rainbows/Bolivian Rainbow Pepper

A Mess of Blues/Indigo Rose Tomato

Also included was a printout of ELVIS SANDWICH, YUP, YOU READ THAT RIGHT!!

Ingredients

• 3 tablespoons peanut butter
    • 2 slices white bread
    • 1 banana, peeled and sliced
    • 3 slices cooked bacon
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons butter

Directions

1. Spread the peanut butter on one side of one slice of bread. Top with sliced banana, then slices of cooked bacon. Cover with the other slice of bread. Spread butter on the outside of the sandwich.
    2. Heat a skillet over medium heat. Fry the sandwich on each side until golden brown and peanut butter is melted, about 4 minutes total

Forgot to answer Shirley's question re: picture of Elvis that I posted yesterday. YES, its a guitar filled with popcorn and its on sale 30% off this Christmas item. Can you believe that?

• bluee19
    8 years ago

Answers to the Elvis Car Game from oldest to newest:

I, F, L, N, K, G, M, D, H, J, O, B, C, A, E

• EricaBraun
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

My friends say I'm actin' wild as a bug. I'm in love, I'm all shook up! And it's all because I received my fabulous gift from Nicole today. She sent me a gift certificate to Baker Creek -- one of the seed stores that I absolutely love!

Thank you so much, Nicole!

• sjc48
    8 years ago

Evening, All!

Great giftie, Nicole! I just placed my first order with Baker Creek.

Loved how you paired the songs with the seeds, Erica!

And Annie, haven't experienced boredom yet and don't expect to. I have all these things I've been wanting to do, and now I have all this time to do them in - I'm in Heaven!

I have friends who are continually bored and like you, I can't quite understand it. They sit around alot, something I have a problem with, unless I'm reading.

There is so much to do and experience, even if it's just sitting, drinking coffee and watching the birds come in to the feeders.

But I have to tell you, there are certain things that bore me to tears, like watching TV, talking on the phone or cleaning out the small bedroom. I avoid these things, especially the little bedroom, which makes it hard when I have to get in one of the attics. Now, that's frustrating, but never boring!

Just got Sue Grafton's new book, well, new to me, "X". And two by Donna Leon, one of my favorite authors. Guess what I'm going to go do?

Have a great night, All,

Shirley!

• nottougly
    8 years ago

Shirley I need your mailing info please.

Thanks,

Faye!

• canyonwind
    8 years ago

Elvis has arrived "Erica Style"..............

I, like Nicole, received a recipe for the very Elvis classic "ELVIS SANDWICH"....While reading about Elvis last week, I learned that this fried banana and peanut butter sandwich was truly his favorite delight to consume. Erica, thanks so much for sending this recipe my way but I will not be making it as written for myself...LOL! I actually might try it without the banana. A fried Peanut Butter sandwich....sounds good to me. With all of his money, you would think his favorite food might have been Filet Mignon or Prime Rib or Lobster or caviar ect....but not The King. In many respects, he was a very simple man and not a snob.....so very appealing.

And thanks for the seeds that go with Elvis songs....clever!

Song Hawaiian Sunset and Seeds Orange Hawaiian Marigold

Song And The Grass Won't Pay No Mind and Seeds Rabbits Foot Grass

Song Susan When She Tried and Seeds Black Eyed Susan

Song Forget Me Never and Seeds Victoria Pink Forget Me Knot

Song Petunia, The Gardeners Daughter and Seeds Purple Wave Petunia

Thanks much!

Happy weekend!

Annie

• brittneysgran
    8 years ago

Faye-I messaged my address to you.

Erica-Good job.

• nottougly
    8 years ago

Elvis arriveed at my home yesterday thanks to

sandlapper_rose.

Jeanne sent a beautiful card with Elvis and also a Elvis word

search puzzle. I would do these with my dad before he passed. He loved these kind of puzzles and of course Elvis was his favorite performer.

Jeanne also sent a pack of Falling in love Poppies for Elvis' Can't help

falling in love and a pack of Hawaiian Sweet Peppers for Elvis' Blue Hawaii.

Thank you so much Jeanne. I can not wait to start the seeds. You made a good choice for them.

Faye!

Original Author
    8 years ago

Nicole, you got a good start. The first one was right. There's 3 different cars between I and F, however. Like I said...difficult game.

I love, love, love the Elvis sightings! So unexpected. You're all playing along with the hostess so well. My parents left this week for 6 weeks in Arizona so I'm in charge to go check out their bills and pay things while they are gone. This is all new to me. I hope I pass their test. My daughter, 15, signed up for Young Americans. It's a singing/dancing group that includes local kids in the production. They come to town, practice for 3 days, and put on a show. My daughter was so excited and signed up quick because she said she knew she'd chicken out. We are also hosting two of the young adults in our home--new territory there, too. We are cleaning parts of our house we didn't know existed. That's very good and it needed it!

At work I find myself taking on a new role. I was at 2 meetings that dealt with the Somalian population. I can see that after 15 years in this small town the traditional white community knows nearly nothing about the African culture or the Muslim religion. It seems like God put me in places to help educate in very encouraging ways. Stressful, but also very positive.

I'll post where we're at with trades. Keep Calm and Love Elvis!

Heidi

Original Author
    8 years ago

Testing · More Info

Original Author
    8 years ago

Testing · More Info

• pinkiris
    8 years ago

Heidi sure hated missing this one! I love Elvis! I think I have figured out how to post now since the change, sure have missed everyone and all the fun swaps! I am way behind, lol. Had (3) surgeries this past year one of which I had to have one repeated, still doing the physical therapy which is going very well. I was able to get a little winter sowing done, so far 10 jugs. Saw Elvis at the PO today .... on the 49 cent stamps.

Jayeanne

• sjc48
    8 years ago

I KNEW I had seen an Elvis stamp!

Pink, good to see ya posting, hope your health continues to get "good"!

Doing some major "de-junking" in the kitchen. I had to have a birth certificate for my retirement application and couldn't find it anywhere. Thought it was in my SS folder. Well, found it today, in the Medicare folder, on one of the shelves under the microwave. DUH, had to call and cancel the order I had put in, for a new one. Very frustrating. Fortunately, our retirement board people had gone ahead and got everything done, anyway, and the PA state Health Commission is sending my money back, so all is well, but boy, do I feel like a nit! Never thought to look in the Medicare stuff, it was 5 years ago, for pete's sake. BUT...all's well that ends well!

Very cold here, not much snow. It seems like my furnace is running all the time. Got my Baker Seed order and the order from Seed Savers. Waiting on the one from Richters, so I can finish my WSing.

It is so great not to have to go out in this cold weather!

Shirley!

Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Pink!

Yes, Shirley, we are going through something similar. My husband lost his job. They have a government program so he can get a CDL-A, but ONLY if he can prove he came to the United States after he was 26. Documents A, B and C don't count so he has to order one. He knows where the original is...he sent it in to the government when he got his American passport. He is a citizen. We've looked high and low on the off chance we had a copy somewhere. So today he sent in a check for $330 for that paper! Holy moly! I'm so glad you found your paper.

Testing · More Info

• sjc48
    8 years ago

Good Grief, Heidi, $330? That's incredible, not to say ridiculous. How do they justify charging that much? I am so sorry you couldn't find a copy. I only had to pay out $48, 20 for the BC and 28 to get it delivered. I had a problem with that 28, but had to have it, or so I thought. Heidi, I feel so bad for you and your husband, and hope that once all the BS is taken care of, he can get the license and go back to work. I will never understand the beauracrasy (sp) with which we have to live.

Shirley!

• sandlapper_rose
    8 years ago

Jayeanne - so happy to see you again!

Even here in SC, things are pretty cold right now --- but I had an exciting day because my Elvis swap sent by Annie arrived in today's mail. Thanks so much, Annie! Annie sent me 2 Elvis recipes: Elvis Presley's Favorite Whipping Cream Pound Cake and Ham Bone Dumplings - both of which sound like they might be winners. There's also a word game using Elvis song lyrics, a coloring page, and what I am going to call some "seed money". I haven't ordered seeds in ages so i will treat myself. Annie, you always send wonderful swaps so once again, thank you so much!

I haven't been to the local Master Gardeners meeting in a long time and the topic tomorrow is upcycling so I hope I can make it. Upcycling sounds like a good theme, especially with the new year. Our quilt guild topic on Tuesday was "Jump Start Your Creativity" - I love motivational themes to try to get the new year off to a good start.

Yes, those fees for paperwork are crazy; aren't they?

I haven't done any winter sowing yet, but I will do some this year. Actually with my eye surgery, I still have more of the Christmas things to pack away and carry up to the attic, but I've made quite a bit of progress on that this week.

Stay warm!

Jeanne

• EricaBraun
    8 years ago

Nicole -- I received the second half of your gift today! Thank you so much!

Nicole sent some very creative Elvis address labels, along with Elvis stamps! Guess now I can claim that I had an Elvis sighting today too!

• flowergirl34
    8 years ago

Happy Friday everyone!!

Wow! $330!! Love the government! If they can find a way to charge they will. I had to go and take test last summer. Used to cost like $15, I paid $110. New York State they love their taxes!!

Heidi, I looked on the send/rec list. I haven't sent or rec'd yet. I'm waiting for something to come in the mail before I can send. :)

Talk to you soon!

vina

Original Author
    8 years ago

Elvis Has Left the Building! (That's code for Heidi mailed to Vina today.) You know Vina, I should have messaged you. I was waiting for some things to come that I ordered and I decided I better send SOMETHING, especially since I'm hosting this crazy Elvis swap. So there may be a late Elvis sighting! Heidi

• flowergirl34
    8 years ago

Good news! What I've been waiting for has arrived. So I'll be mailing on Monday :)

Happy Saturday!

vina

• brittneysgran
    8 years ago

Heidi-Your Elvis pkg is on its way, I mailed yesterday 9505500003086023000055.

I received my Elvis package from Faye yesterday: Faye such a good job you did on our Elvis swap.

Faye sent:

T key ring- The T stands for Tenn which is where Elvis lived. Smart!

Seeds-Blue Star morning glories for all the songs Elvis sang with blue mentioned.

Seeds-Graceland Lace Flowers (Elvis's homeplace)

10 Elvis Stamps, I forgot how gorgeous he was.

Magnet that says It's all about Me, I told Eddie I got the magnet for him because I tell him it's all about him all the time...too funny.

It's always springtime in a happy heart sticker

Beautiful homemade card....love homemade cards.

Thank you Faye, wonderful job on your choices.

Shirley

Original Author
    8 years ago

Sounds like a great package you received. Graceland Lace Flowers! Alright! I will look forward to Elvis coming to visit me! Yeah! Heidi

Testing · More Info

• nottougly
    8 years ago

I am glad that you like your package.

• bluee19
    8 years ago

remember the elvis picture I took from BIG LOTS and had popcorn in it and cost 10.00?? There were no buyers for this christmas item until it was 90% off, so I got a few for 1.00. I love deals!!

• EricaBraun
    8 years ago

What a deal, Nicole!

Original Author
    8 years ago

I love a good deal, too. Now if that just transferred over to plant starts and seeds! That's okay, some things are worth the money.

Testing · More Info

• flowergirl34
    8 years ago

Good morning! Almost afternoon!

I had a minute and wanted to let Erica know that I mailed her Elvis out :)

I'm sorry about the card, I had to bend it to get it to fit in the bubblie. I hate doing that but I didn't have a bubble envie to fit the card, ugh! I should have checked when I bought them. I hope you like what's inside :)

Have a super day!

Wow! Just noticed Grace Land $100,000!!! Amazing the rate of inflation now a days!

vina

Original Author
    8 years ago

Testing · More Info

Testing · More Info

Original Author
    8 years ago

Shirley - and all card-loving, money-saving creative types --

10 blank cards and envelopes for $1 at Dollar Tree in the Valentine's Day stuff. I had a ball! Houzz wouldn't let me message you and after I get done with today I'm not going to remember my middle name, much less my great deal! Ha

Heidi

• brittneysgran
    8 years ago

Heidi I received Faye's swap box and posted it on Sunday. I checked on your pkg and it arrived in NE today so should be up for delivery tomorrow.

Shirley

Original Author
    8 years ago

Shirley (brittneysgran) Thank you. I need help keeping on track so I'll fix it that you received Faye's package and I can't wait for the mail tomorrow!

Heidi

Original Author
    8 years ago

Testing · More Info

Original Author
    8 years ago

Testing · More Info

ShOh Shirley! What a fun, wonderful package in the mail! Shirley sent me 2 live plants!! Aloe Vera and Rex Begonia and they look great. Her Elvis connections were awesome, too!

Heartbreak Hotel-Heart Attack Dianthus

GI Blues-Blue Enchantment Convolvulus

Long Black Limousine-Black Currant Datura

Let Me Be Your Teddy Bear-Dwarf Teddy Bear Sunflower

Summer Kisses-Summer Dreams Cosmos

I love them all. I love sunflowers and I don't have any dwarf. That will be fun. Did you have any spirit visits from Elvis or my grandmother? She loved Datura and always wanted me to plant more of them. I've never tried Black Currant.

There is a pouch of chocolate covered marshmallows with raspberry sprinkles. Oh goodie! Of course I should eat my veggies first so I'll try your family favorite recipe of Fried Cauliflower.

Thank you so much! I'm speechless--well, as close to speechless as I've ever been!

It's sad to say, but my package is the one that hasn't arrived yet for Vina. I hope it arrives soon!

Heidi

Original Author
    8 years ago

Testing · More Info

• EricaBraun
    8 years ago

Vina -- I received your seeds and cute Elvis teddy bear card today. Thank you so much for the lovely flower assortment.

Here are the seeds Vina sent:

Teddy Bear Sunflower

Bright Eyes Flax

Pompon Blue Moon Aster (I'm super excited about this one)

Purple Love Grass

Day Dream Cosmos

• sjc48
    8 years ago

Hey Everyone!

Love how everyone has interpreted the Elvis songs!

Just wanted to let everyone know that I'll be posting the February Swap as soon as I get done experimenting with my new pansy stamp and pansy edger, watching Michael Collins and finishing up my WSing. And, lest we forget, the Dubs play today at 5 and tomorrow evening.

I'm thinking the Swap will get posted on Monday!

And I also wanted to thank Heidi for hosting this month for us. Jeanne and I both appreciate it, Heidi, you did a fantastic job! THANK YOU!

See ya all on Monday!

Shirley!

• flowergirl34
    8 years ago

Erica, so glad you liked your goodies! I tried to get Elvis Song titles...so many to choose from :)

Thanx for hosting Heidi! Very creative and so much fun! :D

Happy Sunday!

vina

• canyonwind
    8 years ago

Heidi, thanks for a fun month of ELVIS..........what a guy!

Happy Sunday!

Annie

• EricaBraun
    8 years ago

I echo everyone's thank yous, Heidi. Thanks for making it fun and easy after the holidays.

• flowergirl34
    8 years ago

Heidi, I thought I'd post here. I received your super surprise seed pack in the mail. :)

Thank you!!! What a wonderful surprise on such a cold, yucky day here!!! I love them all!!

Once again Heidi, THANK YOU so much for hosting this month!! Your awesome!!!

vina :)