SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
redwolfdoc_z5

Tell about your Barden roses

redwolfdoc_z5
8 years ago

I really appreciated Sara-Ann's thread about Carruth roses - let's continue with Barden roses. I'm in zone 5, and have had my Barden roses for only two seasons. As you know, RVR sells all own-root, so I'm not sure my experience will be representative - they'll need a little more time to really settle in. But here goes.

Dragon's Blood - I like it but I don't love it. It grew very well the first year and came through a rough winter nicely. Doesn't bloom overmuch, and I'm not super-keen on the bloom form, but the colour is fantastic.

Mel's Heritage - so far so fabulous. It's small still, but grew reasonably well the first season and about twice as well the second. Wintered just fine. Stays pretty much BS free. The blooms aren't huge but they are beautiful. I have high hopes!

Nightmoss - Absolutely fantastic colour. Hasn't put out a lot of blooms yet but again I have high hopes. So far disease free and came through winter swimmingly. Great fall colour too, which I appreciate.

and finally, Pam's Choice. Got this as a "free rose" choice on my RVR order. The colour combo is quite unique and lovely, but hard to photograph. Sort of a lavender-pink with a buff/coffee centre. Really nice. However, it did markedly worse in its second season in my garden than it's first. The first year it grew like gangbusters and put out several blooms, but this past season it stayed quite small and was heavily afflicted by BS. It was a hard winter last year, though I do protect. But I'm willing to give it time.

Can't wait to see yours!

Karen

Comments (21)