SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2meforester

Modern Clutter Free Kitchens….where do you put your daily essentials?

2meforester
8 years ago

Just about to complete a new build with contemporary/modern open kitchen and living area. All of the photos on HOUZZ from which I based my design are all free of anything on the kitchen counters…..LOVE THE LOOK. What do you do with just the basics of everyday life?

Comments (25)

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

What are your basics?

We don't have a modern kitchen, but I have very little that stays out. A toaster, which could easily be stashed in a drawer. And a knife block which I am considering trading for an in-drawer one. We don't drink coffee, so I keep a kettle and a pour over contraption in a drawer for coffee for guests.

There are also always appliance garages.

I think the trick is to plan for each item when you design the kitchen.

• User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Such as?

• We have an espresso machine on a buffet that is in the kitchen, but may move it to the perimeter counter in the new kitchen.
    • We keep a Breville smart oven on the perimeter counter, but may move it to the buffet if the espresso machine moves. If we had a toaster, it would go in the cabinet when not in use.
    • Sponge lives in the DW. Dish soap under the sink. A dish towel hangs on a rail.
    • Most oils/spices etc live in the pantry, but an olive oil, salt dish, and pepper grinder used to live on a tray next to the cooktop and will next live in a pull out right of the range.
    • Cooking utensils used to live in a few drawers, a rail under a cabinet, and an old pitcher. New kitchen, more in drawers now, but we may still put up a rail or keep the old pitcher for the most used utensils.
    • We keep knives in a block inset on an island counter in the new kitchen.
      Will have a flat knife block in a drawer as well soon. Last kitchen had a magnetic block on a cabinet wall and a magnetic block on the
      counter.
    • Food prep - flour, sugar, etc lives in the pantry.

ETA - I am not a fan of totally clear counters, nor do I like a lot of things on the counter. I don't see a need to hide the fact food preparation occurs in a kitchen, but I don't like having to clean around things.

• Related Discussions

Clutter free counter solutions - need advices and ideas

Q

Comments (4)
    YOu may want to check your electrical code about having a plug in in the cabinet. We are planning to put one in our semi-recessed medicine cabinet (like you, I feel you can never have TOO much storage), it will be 3 1/2 inches into wall and the same out for a depth of ~ 7 ". Not sure if there are special requirements for a plug inside? I am not sure why a medicine cabinet mirror finish would be less durable? I know you are handling it every day whereas you wouldn't 'handle' a normal mirror, but the MC mirror in our next BRTBR (BR to be renoed) is over 40 years old, and still looks like new. Now the inside painted metal finish is horrendous...why didn't it occur to me to paint that in the last 18 years or so??? Having the vanity kitchen height and depth adds to the storage capability. I have a tiny Master BR, and managed to squeeze a 40" long (25 " deep and 35" high) vanity with three deep drawers. So far, I have all my paraphernalia/towels in there and still have a bit of room left free in the bottom drawer. Medicine cabinet and storage cabinet over toilet haven't even been built yet. I am planning on an 8" deep 4 foot high cabinet the width of my toilet alcove, which I plan to fill with extra TP, my one bottle of Method cleaner, and who knows, I may have to start searching for things to store in there! LOL
    ...See More

Do you shampoo daily?

Q

Comments (46)
    I think that older people tend to bathe/shower less often because their skin is thinner and more sensitive... I can attest to that. My mother's skin was so paper thin and lacking in elasticity, there were multiple times her forearm skin would literally tear from dabbing with a towel. Multitude of reasons; aging, medications, forgetting to keep hydrated by drinking water, etc. etc. But I digress... My hair gets fully washed at night, then rinsed in a.m. so I can dry/style. So twice daily it's wet. (Summer more). My skin/hair needs moisture (don't drink enough water, I know that). Oily is clear on the other end of the spectrum. My concern was stress (death of my mom); age (hormone shift); regular coloring & twice daily rinsing is all taking a toll. I'm on my 4th night of Sally's 'wen' like product. First night, wow, hair was like pure silk when rinsed. Next morning, fluffy, full, oh so soft and shiny. Day 2, not so much. (But I blew it the night before by putting a small amount of oil on my scalp, ran through my hair, let dry before bed. The oil is helping, but too many nights in a row is too much.) The next night I skipped the oil, did the Sally condition clean, next morning my hair didn't feel as nice. (I used product on low end of amounts suggested as an experiment.) Last night I used Sally's, increased amount I used, then when out of shower put oil on again, and when I woke up this morning I did my usual rinse before drying/styling, only this time I put a dime size amount of Sally's product on my hair, massaged in and rinsed. Much better. It's fluffy, soft, shiny & silky clear to the ends and it swings ;) (I have no styling products in it, but it sure looks like I do.) Guess I'll have to fine tune the routine. But figure I'm saving a lot of wear 'n tear on my hair with a less harsh shampoo, no styling products, oil for added moisture a few nights a week. Oh, and something I should have done long ago was get one of those mega wide tooth combs for combing the product in the shower. I got Sally's "Beach comb" set. One for in the shower, one for when I get out. That also saves a lot of wear and tear over a regular comb or nylon (non-bristle) brush. We'll see how it goes, but just after a few days it's a lot less dry looking.
    ...See More

If your kitchen is small, or open, where do you put your freezer?

Q

Comments (36)
    I think it's 6-1/2 or 7 x 10 including the attic stairs, so it's not teeny tiny, but not huge, either. There are lots of houses in this area from this era with this kitchen but they did a far better job of making it feel spacious and useful than the others. Here's a flip with the same basic kitchen: And yeah, I've been looking at another house where I could double the number of base cabinets by going down to a 24" range, all the way from one cabinet to two, whoohoo! I've lived with smaller kitchens than this, but I think they did a super job of making a small kitchen live large.
    ...See More

Do you put as much thought into your art and accessories as your rug?

Q

Comments (40)
    "Nobody looks at rugs." They do at my house. Maybe that's because I spend as much time choosing them as choosing art ;) And in looking at my rugs, just as in looking at my art, people see something of my history and who I am. The rugs say that I've spent time in the Middle East and the Indian sub-continent, that I like tribal art, and that I'm not afraid to hang rugs and "rug-like objects" on my walls as art as well as place them underfoot. The art says I've got eclectic taste, like different materials and media, and do not buy art as decor. Some of the first things I bought, over 40 years ago, have been in homes on four continents and there's always been a place for them because they're important to me. Same goes for the "accessories" (and I confess, I'm no minimalist!) I love the shapes and workmanship of a lot of Islamic things - trays, water jugs, even a chapati container. But I've also got a couple of beautiful bowls inlaid with mother of pearl from Fiji, some Greek ceramics, Murano glass, a framed piece of a Hindu temple door, and a Haida carving from my native BC. Essentially, these are the story of my life. None of my things were expensive or are particularly valuable - but they matter to me more than the most perfect Persian silk carpet or the most expensive oil painting because I can tell a story about each one of them.
    ...See More
  • 2meforester
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you for your suggestions……

night owl…..love this

• Sponge lives in the DW. Dish soap under the sink. A dish towel hangs on a rail.

Our kitchen is designed as an open galley with the main wall housing the refrigerator, 9' cooktop area with drawers, and wall oven, also with drawers underneath. There is only one upper cabinet over the wall oven. Across from the wall is an 11' island housing, the dishwasher, sink, drawer micro, trash pull out, and drawers. The drawers on wall side house everything…spices, oils, cooking utensils, dishes, glassware, pot pans, and knives. The island has three smaller drawers next to the d/w holding dish towels and foil, saran, etc... The island also has a small "L" with three 36" drawers for tupperware, casserole dishes, and table necessities. Recent surgeries and future life issues hinder the use of my arms overhead, everything is pull out status. On opposite side of the island is a bench seat for dining area. I am concerned about the bench getting wet or messy from even the slightest clutter accumulation, possibly falling unto the bench/people. We have a butlers pantry/laundry room/powder room just off the kitchen. There is a sink and coffee bar there for my husband (I drink tea)…..so no visible signs of use in the open kitchen/den. The kitchen sink area is a concern. I have never liked the inset pump soap dispensers, don't want it in this kitchen. The sink is preventing the drop down to hold scrubbers. I can only come up with the option of housing everything needed for washing dishes in a basket to pull out as needed. night owl……..maybe a plastic basket in the dishwasher would be best option (thank you). Even the paper towel holder is becoming an issue. Space under the sink is tight, (pluming and garbage disposer). I was hoping for other options. This is my first time on the forums. I am not sure how to add an image or I would post the cabinet makers drawing for a clearer understanding.

• User
    8 years ago

How big is your sink? If it is SS, there are magnet things to attach to the sides for sponges, scrubbers. I don't like those soap things either. One more thing to clean around and I find filling them and keeping them working is more effort than they are worth.

If you don't have an apron sink, you can install a wire pull at the fake drawer if you have one to hang a hand towel.

If you add the image, the storage gurus will help. Open a reply to this topic you just started, just blow the text box are a bunch of options. Select the photo camera option, and then browse your computer until you find the image(s), then lower right of that pop up select open. That should add your picture. Then hit submit. Good luck.

2meforester thanked User
  • 2meforester
    Original Author
    8 years ago

nightowl...

I my sink is 36"W x 12"D under mount SS. Per your suggestion, I searched for magnet holders. I am impressed with a towel bar and sponge holder found on Brookstone's website. Your comment "but I don't like having to clean around things" is exactly why I have finally given up all things un-necessary. My arm limitations have given me new insight into importance of possessions and their care. If it cannot be just wiped down with a cloth simply, it is not as necessary as before. Our whole house has become about present and future functionality. This is our LAST new house, designed for handicap accessibility and daily pleasure. Hoping maintenance will be simple for a while before outside help is needed.

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

I have made an effort to use reusable microfiber clothes instead of paper towels most of the time. So my microfiber clothes are stored in a drawer to the left of the sink. My paper towels are stashed in a less convenient upper cabinet.

Do you object to the dish soap being out at all? Or would it be okay with you if it were decanted into an attractive container? I would hate to have to pull the dish soap out every time I needed it especially if bending down to reach for it under the sink is difficult. For me, function would trump form on this.

2meforester thanked Nothing Left to Say
  • sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

We have an open kitchen/great room in a contemporary loft too. All the functional appliances other than the microwave are against the wall (it used to be a one-wall kitchen, couldn't move the sink, and didn't want the cooktop on the island). Only the microwave drawer is in the island. On the counters - SodaStream (used daily), Nespresso (only used on weekends, but I like the looks so keep it out), food scale (also nice looking - small, so I could put it away, but I do use it almost every day), soap dispenser (not built-in, white to match the counters), and utensils crock. I was just thinking yesterday about why I keep the utensils crock out - I think I'm going to experiment with putting those things in a drawer.

Sponges live in the deep sink (usually in a little holder), most utensils are in a top drawer in the island, condiments are in a pull-out to the left of the cooktop, pot holders are in a top drawer to the right of the cooktop (they share the drawer with coffee pods and the always-on-hand extra Soda Stream canister). Toaster stays in a bottom drawer when not in use, along with English Muffins. Teas are in a drawer.

Oh, the bane of my existence - kitchen towels. In my previous home, we didn't have a place for them, and I was constantly folding them to at least look neat on the counter. Here we have a telescoping towel rack in a narrow cabinet. It's not all that convenient becuase you have to open the door first, but DH didn't like the idea of an open space with the telescoping towel rack. Still better than on the counter, and since it's an open great room, I do put them away, not hanging on towel racks or appliance handles.

Lastly, for the first time in years, we have a paper towel rack attached to the underside of an upper cabinet next to the sink. I almost wish we didn't, because we use more paper towels than I'd like because they're convenient. If they were put away, I'm sure we'd use the regular kitchen towels more.

All cleaning supplies are under the sink. I got an after-market slide-out shelf from BB&B (I think the brandis Lynk or Lynx) and it works great. I also keep microfiber cloths, extra towels, and my Nespresso recycling bag under the sink.

Edited to add that I was typing while crl was posting almost the same sentiment about paper towels!

2meforester thanked sjhockeyfan325
  • 2meforester
    Original Author
    8 years ago

crl_ I will check out the microfiber clothes at BB&B this week. Also looking into the motion detected soap dispenser. Can be put away if unsightly.

sjhockeyfan325 Paper towel use goes way down with the use of towels. Use less at the sink due to the handiness of water and towels. Cooktop area were quick 1/2 size sheets of paper towels are easy for sticky hands and drips.

I have made use of every square inch of cabinetry. At this point, it is about living easy and some compromise may be needed. I would like to post our home on this site at some point. I may need my daughter or grandson to help doing so, LOL.

We started building Oct. 5. We have been planning and prepping with real estate agent (lot purchase), architects, and designers since January. We are self contracting (not our first, but our VERY last), being every detailed about each aspect has been draining. I will be glad when the only decision I need to make is what's for dinner. We are praying to be moving in by March. We are very pleased to have had excellent sub-contractors of the highest quality, with additional ideas to enhance an already well thought out plan. Although, this house would not be nearly as good if time taken and GREAT advise not followed. HOUZZ has been the very best about generating ideas and "a ha" moments. This is the first time I have ever been on a forum. I am pleasantly surprised by the quickness and genuine care of each answer on CHRISTMAS Day no less. Impressive to say the least.

Thank you all…….

• sushipup1
    8 years ago

You're making some pretty unrealistic assumptions in the first place, I think. If you are looking at decorating pictures either in magazines or online, your are looking at (usually) staged pictures, many by professionals. Not the way real people generally live day-to-day. We're getting ready to sell our home and I know that when the photographer shows up, we'll be hiding away the little stuff for the pictures. Yes, we've de-cluttered a lot, but for the pictures, it'll be down to nothing. The coffeemaker gets pulled out of the picture, then put back, for example. So lighten up on yourself and know what's really behind those staged pictures. Sort of like teenage girls who think that supermodels are role models, and become anorexic, you can make yourself crazy trying to live up to an ideal that may not really be you.

• mushcreek
    8 years ago

Magnets DON'T stick to most SS. I just tested our sinks- nope, magnets don't stick. We have a small suction cup basket inside the sink for ScotchBrite.

We keep most of our regularly-used things out. Coffeemaker, toaster, etc. The KitchenAid mixer is the only thing that won't fit in one of our 33 drawers, but it's too heavy to lug around anyway. I like a few things out; we have flour and sugar canisters in one corner, and we keep an oil dispenser and salt and pepper mills near the stove.

• Barb J
    8 years ago

On paper towel usage: I have a cat that takes joy in unraveling paper towels. I finally ended up putting the paper towel roll on its side in a drawer. It's in the drawer with my kitchen towels/cloths. Not only is it harder for us to get a paper towel now, but we're also presented with a decision to use a paper towel or cloth. The cloth wins out almost all the time; it's easier to just pick up a cloth than wrangle a piece of paper off of that danged roll. A paper towel roll seems to last us forever now.

In our upcoming remodel I want to remove our bar. In preparation I've been practicing a 'clean counter' policy. The only things I have out are the empty paper towel holder (why haven't I put that away after many months? don't know), the salt and pepper shakers, stack of little stainless pet food bowls, and the stainless container that holds my knives and spatulas. Toaster is in a drawer, sponge is in the sink, dish soap is in the sink, foamy hand soap is in built-in dispenser, spoon rest is in drawer, mixer is in a base cabinet (always has been though), blender is in a base cabinet, towel is on a bar attached to island. The hardest thing has been keeping the dirty dishes off of the counter; the biggest help with that is making sure that the dishwasher is emptied promptly (hate it!) and getting stainless cookware that I can put in the dishwasher (love it!).

2meforester thanked Barb J
  • herbflavor
    8 years ago

wirh zone creation, a clutter free zone may be important because the visual is better free of stuff.... other areas where activity is happening should be inviting to come and participate in the wondrous joy of making good food and sharing it with those you care and do this for. Nice tea kettles/toasters/implement holders/ a couple of canisters perhaps/ a basket for potholders/a small spice carousel with frequent used salts/peppers/cinnamon/etc-all belong "out" in my opinion......it's a question of the design of your space and what happens in various locations. I like some things out, but on the other hand, prefer not to have messes linger for long around the sink-stuff gets in the dishwasher rather quickly and the sink area stays relatively tidy a good share of the time.

2meforester thanked herbflavor
  • User
    8 years ago

Magnets DON'T stick to most SS -- This is probably true. The gadgets for sinks don't stick to the SS sink itself, but rather through it. I believe most have a strong magnet that you put on the back or side of the outside of the sink and the gadget sticks to the sink via the added magnet on the other side. (I don't have one, so cannot verify as fact, but the ad descriptions seem as though that is how they work.)

• mushcreek
    8 years ago

OK- That makes sense. I'll have to look into those!

• 2meforester
    Original Author
    8 years ago

night owl…..Magnets description is correct as per this link on Brookstone's website http://www.brookstone.com/magisso-straight-stainless-steel-cloth-holder-with-double-magnet-fitting/ Your suggestion for putting things in the dishwasher is genius.

My first time on a forum has been very informative. Internet browsing is about as far as we get on the computer. I have never had an idea book before today. I clicked on each of the replays to see idea books of people giving feed back. Pleasantly surprised to see some of the same photos that I have previously marked as favorites on my browser, especially regarding garden plans. We are finally seeing "the end of the tunnel" decisions for the building process. Now we can focus on our true passions. We are retired, living on a 1.5 acre lot on the north shore of Lake Pontchartrain (across from New Orleans). My husband is an avid organic gardener, stain glass artist, and excellent fly fisherman. I am an artist in many mediums. Our talents have been on hold for far too long……waiting to be unleashed.

Thank you all for the help. I will continue to be inspired…….

• cmw829
    8 years ago

barbja99 - don't you just love these little critters who dictate how we live our lives??

We're cutting down our bar counter as part of our remodel so have been considering how to handle the clutter. Ordered the flip drawer for sponges. We WILL use a soap dispenser that goes through the counter. Had it in our last remodel and loved it. Keurig and toaster will stay out as each is used multiple times a day. Like the idea of getting rid of the utensil canister and putting flour/sugar canisters in the pantry.

• practigal
    8 years ago

Something to consider...if it doesn't get put away within 24 hours it becomes part of the scenery and you just don't notice it, so you'll really have to commit to putting stuff away, probably in the evening when you load the dishwasher for the final time. In order to put stuff away you have to have a convenient place for it to go....

• AnnKH
    8 years ago

One of the goals of my kitchen remodel was to reduce clutter from the counters. To that end, I now have a knife drawer insert, a drawer sized for canisters, a cabinet with an outlet inside for charging phones, etc., a super susan for appliances, a tip-out for sink stuff.

The only thing left on the counters are a small MW in a corner, and a paper towel holder (which could go under the sink). After Halloween I had a dish of candy on the counter. We've managed to keep it pretty tidy for 2 years so far! As long as there is a convenient place for everything, it's easy to do.

I have a bar in the sink, as described above, and love it for hanging a dish rag.

• Debbie B.
    8 years ago

Hi 2meforester! I understand your physical limitations--I have rheumatoid arthritis. I'm doing a complete gut of the eat-in kitchen of the house I just bought, and ease of access is critical in my planning. Not just what is accessible today, but also looking 5, 10, 15 years out.

I'm also a fan of having as close to nothing as possible on my countertops; it's simply a style/taste preference for me. The eat in kitchen and living room are one big open space, and that is about half my house. My house is a single wide manufactured home, so picture a big rectangle. The "great room" is the middle. Each end is bedrooms, bathrooms, and on one end is also laundry area. So when you walk into my house, bam! you're in the living room, but the dinette and kitchen are right there too. I hate clutter with a passion. I want the focus of my home to be the beauty of the interior design rather than the dish rack, the popcorn tin, and several small kitchen appliances that are sitting on the counters.

There's nothing wrong with any of those things! It's purely a matter of personal preference. I occasionally help a realtor friend of mine stage houses, and just like your magazine photos, the first thing we do is de-clutter. Potential buyers can't picture themselves in your house if all your stuff is everywhere. It's all very minimalist.

But as sushipup1 so rightly pointed out, most people don't actually live that way. Herbflavor pointed out how some warm, inviting things on the counters can make a house a home.

But, as I said, I personally prefer clean counter space. For one, I have very, very little of it. Anything sitting on it is taking away space I need to prep and cook. Second, because it's such a tiny space, even a couple things sitting out make it look cluttered or messy.

So here's a couple of things I'm planning to do. One, do a hood/microwave combo over the range. Microwaves take up a fair bit of counter space. Two, no base cabinets, all base drawers of various sizes, except the corner one. That will be a cabinet with a super susan. Drawers are so much easier to see what's in there and pull it out. No more crouching over with a flashlight and a yardstick trying to get something from the way back of the cabinet, haha!

Three, I'm getting a farmhouse sink. Because they're totally cool, sure, but also because you don't have to lean over counter space to do anything in the sink; you can just belly up to it. That might be easier on your arms...just a thought.

Four, I'm a sucker for drawer organizing systems. I'm doing an IKEA kitchen, but even if you're not, go on their website and look at all their cool drawer organizers. Besides flatware and knife inserts, they have things so you can keep all your spices in a drawer, plate stackers, etc. Also go on KitchenMaid's website; they have amazing kitchen organizers!!

Five, I'm getting a portable dishwasher. This won't work for everyone. Because it's an eat-in kitchen, I actually have a space to "park" it unobtrusively when not in use. This means I get a whole other base cabinet drawers! Also, the one I'm getting intentionally has a butcher block top, creating a small but valuable food prep station!

Last, You can also get cool pull out organizers for all your cleaning products; they're easy to pull out and then you're not trying to dig into a bucket under the sink.

So, by creating as much useable space as possible, I can be totally, 100% organized in my drawers and cupboards and thus, don't need anything on my counters, with the exception of a shiny SS tea kettle on my cooktop, and maybe, maybe a coffee pot, if I find the perfect one.

Oh, just to weigh in, other than toilet paper, I haven't used paper products in a couple of years. Microfiber cloths, cloth napkins, and handkerchiefs. And wash cloths and towels in the kitchen. :-)

Hope this helps!

2meforester thanked Debbie B.
  • practigal
    8 years ago

Debbie B I have used portable dishwashers for the last 20 years. Some are much easier to move around and than others. Try to find the one you were planning on buying and push it around, also be sure to consider the surface that you will be pushing the dishwasher around on. You will need a special adapter at the kitchen sink in order to use that portable dishwasher that type of adapter is not compatible with any of the high arc faucets that you might be tempted to use for your farmhouse sink. To make it work you may need to have two faucets at the sink. It really might be easier to have a dishwasher installed next to the sink.

• 2meforester
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Since my last post, the sink section of the island has been re-made. There is now a drop down for sponge and scrubbers. The bottom has a custom pull out for all other items necessary for the kitchen scrubbing. All inserts will be outfitted after we are living in the house to accommodate exact needs. We have the most conscientious cabinet maker. His work is impeccable.

Debbie B., I agree with you about personal taste. My desire for clutter free environment is about taste and so much more, it is to lighten OUR load. My husband is a marvel at all things, and is the best nurse ever. Having a clutter free "everything in it's place" environment helps whether I am ill or well. As from your description, planning seems to take the highest precedence in all aspects of home design, especially when designing for handicaps. This forum and Houzz website have been instrumental in acquiring information the for very best options. Good luck with your new home…and the very best NEW YEAR!

My last decisions are choosing countertops and backslashes. So many choices and deadlines, can make your head spin!!!!!!!

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

Yes, to being clutter-free, you really need to plan your storage carefully. The best storage is when your items are stored where you use them. Prep items in prep area. Cooking items in cook area. If you bake a lot, create an area where all your baking supplies are grouped together, etc.

Proper planning can be time consuming but it's definitely worth it. Start by gathering all your items for the different zones and place them together. First, figure out what things you use every time you cook and put them aside. Second, figure out what you use regularly enough that you'd like them stored at point-of-use and add them to the first pile. Then figure out what you only use once in awhile and can be stored a bit farther away from point-of-use. Your pile should now be just the things that you rarely use. Put it aside for storage even farther from point-of-use.

Now group these items by what should be stored together in the same drawer. Once together, measure height, width, and depth. Depth should be the same depth as the cabinet line you're buying offers. This will tell you what size drawers you need to fit your items.

Now take your drawer sizes and see if they will fit in the layout where you need them. For example, if you need a 3-drawer 30" wide drawer stack on one side of your range and a 4-drawer 24" wide drawer stack on the other, is there room for them? If not, can your tweak the layout to make them fit? If not, can you tweak the items you want to store there? Maybe you can get rid of some, move some that you really don't use regularly to that storage area, or change to something different, like a different set of mixing bowls that store inside each other in a bit smaller area, or a smaller can opener, yada yada.

Yeah, this is time-consuming but if good, accessible storage and clean, clutter-free counters are your goal, it's worth doing.

• huango
    8 years ago

To help w/ daily clutter, I have

- my beloved double-decker appliance garage, which houses:

-- Vitamix

-- toaster

-- can opener

-- KitchenAid mixer, extra bowl/attachments

-- coffee grinder,

-- immersion blender bowl (for dicing onions, etc).

--

- I have 2 Dishwashers, the 2nd one is used as a drying rack (when we don't need to run both from parties, etc).

- 36" drawer under my induction cooktop for all tongs, spatulas, immersion blender, etc.

- 6" pull-out that DH hacked to put my knife block, and big/tall spices in.

- sponge on suction cup thing attached to SS sink.

- 24" spice drawer

- 12" oil/vinegar/extra towels pull-out

- trash/recycling under left side of 36" sink

DH puts his Dominican coffee ?brewer? and Bodum in cabinet above fridge.

---

Only regular items on my countertops:

- paper towel dispenser

- towels (hung on wall oven handle), and

- fruit bowl.

--

But YET, with all these places to put things, my 23+feet of countertop is often, if not ALWAYS cluttered w/ stuff.

DH is a great baker: just doesn't put things away after he's done.

Kids, if they remember to clear their table after a meal, would often put their dirty dishes NEXT to the sink.

Ugh

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

I think if you actually use your kitchen, there are going to be things on the counters. The issue is whether or not there is a place to conveniently put those things when you clean up. If not, there will always be clutter. If there is convenient storage, a few minutes of light work is all it takes to have clear counters again.