SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debbie_jean_brown

Show me your spices!

Debbie B.
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

OK, I admit I stole this thread idea from the kitchens forum, but for good reason. Not always, but in general, the good folks who answered that call showed kitchens far larger than many, but not all, MH kitchens. Second, many, but again, not all, were working with much higher budgets than the average MH owner. This I deduced by the many commenters who were having cabinets built custom for their kitchens, and the many references to their "KD," which I finally figured out meant "kitchen designer."

i have nothing against our fellow home remodelers over at the kitchens forum! I've gotten some great ideas from reading some of the posts.

But, the needs of the MH would-be kitchen remodeler are, in general, a bit different. In general, we are working with a smaller space and a smaller budget. I know that some of you have kitchens that would stand up next to any priced stick built, I get that. I'm talking about the average MH owner on the average MH kitchen remodel budget, or about any MH owner who solved this problem creatively, regardless of the size of the MH.

So, with that in mind, how/where do you store your spices? I'd like to see pictures! Many of us live in single wides with very limited kitchen storage space, and not that many realistic options as far as laying out the kitchen differently, let alone creating a bunch of space for some of our cooking supplies, namely spices.

So, let's see watcha got! :-) Your elegant solution might be another reader's answer to prayer!

The pics below are a few of my favs from the other forum, several threads, and a couple are from online retailers.

The blue is hideous, and the overall execution not great with asthetics, but oh! To have all that space!
Now it's up, stacked neatly away...
...and now it's down, ready to spice things up. But who has an entire cabinet shelf to spare?
I LOVE THIS! The homeowner had to do a fair bit of carpentry by cutting off enough of the inside shelves so the door with the wooden spice rack he installed would close. He also mentioned reinforcing the spice rack with additional screws because of the heavy weight. EDIT: He also said he reinforced the door itself with extra hinges. The homeowner below reported she got these little clear canisters from Ikea. She buys her spices in bulk, keeps them in ziplock bags in the fridge or freezer, and replenishes the containers in the drawer as necessary. Several people on the thread reported buying in bulk and keeping their spices in a drawer in various little containers.

Here's another drawer system. Below, this is one of those skinny cabinets that get put in when there's a gap that needs to get filled. This was controversial because first, a lot of people said they didn't want to have to bend down to get their spices out. Second, it's located right next to the oven, and people said the heat would ruin the spices. Others replied that they had this setup and almost no heat was transferred to the spice drawer and their spices were just fine.

Last, we have the classic just set them out on your counter, but this kitchen designer did it the high end way. I don't see very well, but if she is stacking jars directly on top of each other, that would be a nightmare for me! I'd knock half of them over every time I reached for something! :-)

OK, everybody, let's show 'em how we store spices the MH way! :-)

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz