SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carriebor

Spice Storage: Where & How

Carrie B
8 years ago

Here's how I store my spices now: in a shoe-type box in the pantry. Not ideal because I only see the top of the jars & not the labels - I have to dig around to find what I'm looking for.

Ideally, I'd like to keep them in the pantry because that's where I have room to spare. I could store them in a drawer on either side of the range, but that would involve shifting stuff around a good bit, and I like the stuff that I have in those drawers.

Here's the pantry. The blue box to the left of the beer sampler contains my spices. Ideal storage would be in the pantry, in a

Here's the range - second choice for spice storage would be over here.

Comments (69)

• numbersjunkie
    8 years ago

Agree with funkycamper about the Ikea spice tray. I think I posted a picture of mine a while back and I LOVE it. Would never go back to storing spices in a cabinet. And it's very inexpensive.

Carrie B thanked numbersjunkie
  • Carrie B
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, I like the idea of the tray, but giving up one of my three top drawers for spices just doesn't seem like it makes sense in my little kitchen.

• Related Discussions

Storage of spices if no pull-out/spice drawer?

Q

Comments (31)
    loves2cook- I love the test tube rack. Since it was a gift I suppose it is hard to ask her how she likes it. What a great gift! WILL you be my friend????? My only concern would be putting it down and having it roll away.
    ...See More

Question for spice storage gurus

Q

Comments (15)
    Hi, I was searching for info on Blum spice drawer insert, though this is not what I was looking for, we're both in this Michigan deepfreeze so I thought I'd help out... I looked up the website and the tins look like a cool design, but ask the company what they are made of. Traditional Indian Masala Dabba, or spice box, is made of stainless steel and has tins with snug lids that are all nested in a larger tin with a snug lid. These protect the spices from humidity. One of my collegues brought her spice box from India when she came to the US. She taught me how to make curry, so I learned about this. If the tins you are looking at are aluminum, they may be reactive with the oils in the spices, the spices may change the color of the aluminum, or worse, the aluminum may leach into the spices. In general, you should avoid aluminum for food prep because of this. So, have you finished your kitchen yet? The prelim pics looked fab and I'd love to see it.
    ...See More

What do you guys think of these jars for spice storage?

Q

Comments (14)
    Since you've seen my spice drawer, that is a 24 inch frameless drawer. I have one for spices and one next to it for utensils. Having my spice drawer meant having a utensil crock on the counter for the other utensils. Anyway, that drawer holds about 110 jars and that the round ones. They allow me to get my fingers in between the tops. The narrower top on the Victorian jars should also. Mine are 2.25 inches wide while the Victorian are 2 inches. I don't know the width of your drawer, but you would get more of the Victorian in the same space as mine. That's a lot of spice jars. Have you figured out how many you can fit or how many you need? I know some folks balk at the idea of buying matching jars or having to set them all up, but the ease of use over the years has been well worth it. I also bought a Brother label maker with laminated tape for the tops. It was a good excuse for an upgrade -- and they seem to go on half price sale fairly often. The laminated tape keeps them cleaner than regular labels or paper tape. I've been using these for close to 8 years now and I'll never go back. I know that drawers are tough to give up, but when you think about how much cabinet or pantry space you free up, it's a lot easier. I would stay with a top drawer if at all possible -- the jars are right there at your fingertips when you need them. I was supposed to have a 4 drawer stack where I would up with a 3, so I looked at adding a roll-out tray inside the top of that middle drawer. I haven't done it, but that could be an option for you in terms of getting some of the organization you might like in the deeper drawers.
    ...See More

Spice Storage

Q

Comments (12)
    I would love to have them in a drawer but not sure how. I've seen the slanted dividers for displaying them in drawers, but I know that not all of the bottles shapes would fit that design. I've thought about changing out all the bottles to a standard size and using a label maker to mark the tops so that I can put them all standing upright in a drawer - just not sure if that's worth the effort. That is pretty much what I did, and it was definately worth the effort. I designed some drawers that were high enough for the bottles I wanted to store, including some half pint canning jars that I use for bay leaves and that sort of thing. Here's a thread started in 2008 about storing large collections of spices. Lots of good ideas. http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg02124116986.html Cj
    ...See More
  • User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

When we had a smaller space, I put This door rack

on the back of a closet door for spices. Each basket is easily removed and carried about. I organized the spices by use -- baking, Italian, peppers, salts, etc. there are deep ones for oils and vinegar, too. I also used one for packet stuff -- taco seasoning, stuff like that. I would just grab the basket and bring it to my prep area. The baskets hold A LOT ! And are see through, so easy to grab the right one. The bar that holds them is super sturdy. Just put in enough screws. they are quite pretty too if you have a space on the stairs behind the door. (just a thought...)

Carrie B thanked User
  • cmw829
    8 years ago

I have mine in a pullout in a cabinet like the ones you have in your pantry. Each bottle is labeled on the top and either taped on adhered with the adhesive from the label printed from a label maker. I printed most of the labels in small font on the computer for ease of reading. And then organized them in alphabetical order. Mostly so hubby can find them without asking "where's the..."

In my new kitchen, I specified a four drawer base so the drawers would be a better depth for spice bottles and other small packages. It will be to the right of my stove. The luxury of remodeling.

Carrie B thanked cmw829
  • Carrie B
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'm thinking that the cheapest/easiest option would be to try the IKEA inserts. It means I'll have to find another place for some cooking implements, but maybe that makes sense... hmmm.

• sherri1058
    8 years ago

If you prefer the pantry as a location, have you looked at some of the clear plastic fridge bins as an option?

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, sherri. That could work, though would only solve the problem of having to pull out spices for the spices that are on the outside, labels facing out - or having the labels on top. So it being clear won't make a difference & would work about as well as my she box. You're right, though, I do prefer the pantry location.

• Meganmca
    8 years ago

Desertsteph--yes, very easy to open, they aren't twist or anything, just lift-off. The bigger sizes are slightly looser than the smaller--in fact, we were worried they'd be so loose you couldn't pull 'em out by the lid, but that was fine.

• sherri1058
    8 years ago

Carrie, if you take a look at the dimensions, there are boxes which are 4" wide x 14" long - which would hold a row of 2 jars - both on the outside, so they'd all be visible. :)

Carrie B thanked sherri1058
  • willtv
    8 years ago

I know you just remodeled your kitchen, great job by the way, and I don't remember if you have the wall space, but we recessed a shallow cabinet into a wall to use as a spice cab.

Here are a few shots.

Closed

Open

HTH.

Carrie B thanked willtv
  • lenzai
    8 years ago

This isn't my kitchen but I did something similar:

I used the IKEA magnetic knife holders (which are super strong) and Bonne Maman jam jars (of which i have many) to store the most used 8 spices right in my prep area. The rest are in an upper cabinet. I buy spices in bulk in bags so this works for well for me.

Carrie B thanked lenzai
  • mrspete
    8 years ago

Whatever you decide to do, I say Step 1 is putting all your spices into identical jars. Any number of options would work: it could mean all Spice Island brand jars, or it could mean little metal tins, or it could mean baby food jars or small mason jars ... but as long as you have large bottles and small bottles and everything else in between, the whole thing won't be neat, and it'll be harder to find things.

I have a fantastic spice "system" that I bought years ago. The medium containers hold about 4 oz of spice, they're plastic and have a stainless steel front, and have a spot where I can change the name of the spice. I keep mine 3 high because that works with my cabinet height.

Here you're seeing them front to back, and you can see that the containers come in three sizes:

And here you can see how I keep mine: I have mostly three mediums high on two small turntables:

When I first got them, I spent a whole day labeling them, pouring out my old spices into the new containers, and arranging them. I have a plastic tub on the top shelf (which I can't reach easily) that holds extra spice that wouldn't fit into these containers. I only take that tub down when I see that my oregano is running low.

Positives -- whatever system you choose, these are the things you want to consider:

- With everything uniform, it's so easy to spin the table and pick out the spice I want.

- The openings are shaped nicely so a measuring spoon fits in, and the lid has a "straight edge" across the bottom so it's easy to flatten out your spice /know you're measuring properly.

- I can remove 1-2 towers of spice and at a glance see which jars are low on spice.

- I buy most of my spices from a health food store that keeps them in big bulk jars, and I just spoon out however much I want; thus, I typically don't have bottles for my spices anyway.

Negatives:

- This is a big one: They quit making this system. I have about 60 jars, mostly mediums, but I wish I had more. Since I bought these online from a small company that went out of business, I don't anticipate being able to get more -- ever. I do look at ebay occasionally, but I think my chances are slim. Whatever you choose, I suggest you choose something that will definitely be available in the future.

- I can't see the expiration date. Not really an issue with the things I use on a constant basis, but I don't have a good answer for how to manage this with things that don't get much use.

- My husband doesn't like the spice storage system. Too bad for him.

My plan for my new house:

I'll definitely keep this spice system, and I'll continue to keep a small tub of won't-fit-yet spices on the top shelf.

I plan to get some of those round tins that can attach to the inside of a cabinet, and I'll use those for my homemade spice mixes (which tend to be larger than my containers can hold anyway). This'll free up some of the current containers. I can't do this now because the cabinet in which I keep my spices is too shallow; that is, if I had the spice tins inside the cabinet, I wouldn't have space for the turntables.

OR I'll choose shelves on the back of the cabinet door, which would allow me to use matching bottles for my homemade spice mixes and rubs. But does the extra weight on the back of a door cause trouble over the years?

• sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

Just a third comment re the IKEA spice inserts - I also have them and love them (they take up 1/2 of a wide top drawer, shared with utensils that I don't want out all the time)

Carrie B thanked sjhockeyfan325
  • Jancy
    8 years ago

This doesn't look bad but it would be better if labels were on the front instead of the top. It also comes in grey.

JosephJoseph

• mrspete
    8 years ago

Jancy, that's quite a bit like my above-described spice system! I like mine better because it's not so juvenile looking and has labels on the side, where they're easy to read -- but this one has the advantage of still being available!

• Jancy
    8 years ago

I'd prefer yours too mrspete. Wish I could find yours also. I've never seen this one in person but I think the grey may look a little better.

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

If I was to use something like that, I like the bright colors. I could see putting most used seasonings in, let's say, the purple ones. Or having the green for seasonings that work best for poultry, red for fish, yada yada. I'd also use my label maker to make labels on the sides as well.

OK, this is absolutely no slam against Mrs. Pete's storage or those who would like it but I would really hate to have my seasonings in something like that. We're all different and have different preferences. When the seasonings are in my drawer right next to my range, I simply open the drawer and leave it open while cooking. If I want, a seasoning I pick it up and use it and put it back, then the next one, and so on. No extra steps or movements. And I don't need to transfer to new containers.

I have the cooking seasonings and seasoning mixes in the drawer by the range. In my baking center, I have another drawer with spices and extracts.

• Springroz
    8 years ago

I think those containers are cute, but it would be my luck that not ALL of a container of spice would fit...then , I would have to store the leftover in the original container, and before long, I would need twice as much storage!! Plus, it seems wasteful to put them in a separate container and throw out the other container.

mine are in a BIG drawer next to my range, labeled on the top, mostly in alphabetical order. I buy in bulk, and the bags of extra are in the freezer.

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Great ideas, all! I think I'm going to get at least one of the IKEA inserts to start. I have things in my near-range drawer that are not used very often & can get demoted, and I can put the most frequently used spices in there. I wonder if IKEA is worth braving on Xmas eve... probably not...

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

I wonder if IKEA is worth braving on Xmas eve... probably not...

OMG, NO!!!! I almost got a panic attack for you. Weekday, non-holiday mornings only. :) Merry Christmas, Carrie.

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Heh! I'm not really a celebrator, so it's annoying to me that I can't get my life-errands done this time of year. Only (half) kidding. Enjoy yours!

• mrspete
    8 years ago

I'd
    prefer yours too mrspete. Wish I could find yours also. I've never
    seen this one in person but I think the grey may look a little better.

Yeah, but this one has the advantage of being available for sale right now! If you get it, I'd suggest you buy all the containers you think you're likely to need NOW ... so you won't be in the same boat I'm in: Wishing you could have 5-10 more.

When the seasonings are in my drawer right next to my range, I simply
    open the drawer and leave it open while cooking. If I want, a seasoning
    I pick it up and use it and put it back, then the next one, and so on.
    No extra steps or movements.

My spices are in an upper cabinet next to the range. No extra steps or movements -- the difference between a drawer vs. an upper cabinet is just a matter of putting your hand up vs. down.

I think those containers are cute, but it would be my luck that not ALL
    of a container of spice would fit...then , I would have to store the
    leftover in the original container, and before long, I would need twice
    as much storage!! Plus, it seems wasteful to put them in a separate
    container and throw out the other container.

My medium containers are about 4 oz, and that's perfect. Most bottles of spices fit "just right" into the containers. Typically I buy my spices from a bulk source, so I tend to bring them home in little ziplock baggies.

It might be wasteful to toss the store containers, but you're never going to really have your spices organized and easy to find it your containers don't match.

• sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

It might be wasteful to toss the store containers, but you're never going to really have your spices organized and easy to find it your containers don't match.

Not so - I store my spices in their original store containers in the IKEA organizer - works perfectly and I can see all the labels. Sometimes it's even alphabetized.

• User
    8 years ago

We have one of these: YouCopia Chef's Edition SpiceStack 30-Bottle Spice Organizer, White for the small jars. It can hold 30 commercial standard jars, or more if you have some of the half-height short ones.

And a bunch of turntables with big jars on them for the bulk spices.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007VERRLS?keywords=spice%20racks%20for%20cabinets&qid=1451045652&ref_=sr_1_4&s=home-garden&sr=1-4

• providencesparrow
    8 years ago

As a temporary help, take a sharpie and label the tops of the jars so you don't have to rummage around the box reading lables. Also I recycle my spice jars when they are empty.

Carrie B thanked providencesparrow
  • User
    8 years ago

Drawer storage is really the easiest. That's why we're always saying drawers, drawers, drawers here.

I buy Simply Organic spices because the bottles are so pretty, and I refill them with bulk spices. They're about 4" tall and made of heavy glass. I lay them on their sides in a 16" drawer. You can buy their spices and this spice rack from their website--$32 for the rack alone. There's a store locator and coupons on their website. In my area, Whole Foods and lots of food co-ops and small grocers sell them.

Carrie B thanked User
  • mabeldingeldine
    8 years ago

I made magnetic spice storage in my pantry with vintage metal trays and hexagonal jars. I purchased the jars and rare earth magnets online. I placed the magnets inside the lid. Most of the herbs and spices I immediately recognize, but for
    some I used a fine sharpie to note the contents. It works great!

Carrie B thanked mabeldingeldine
  • Carrie B
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Mayflowers - that's the thing, though, right? Drawers are best for EVERYTHING, and, presumably, we've got more stuff that we can possibly have drawers, at least for those of us with small kitchens & small drawers. I want to put all eating utensils & cooking hand tools in the top drawer. I want my knives & vitamins in the top drawer. I want at least one "junk" (ok, tape, pens, shopping list paper...) in a top drawer. And it makes sense to have spices in a top drawer, too. And I've only got 3 top drawers, even though all my lowers (besides sink) are drawers. So, it comes down to deciding if I can devote one third (or thereabouts) of my top drawers to spices... and then, what can I move to a lower? My spatulas & other cooking tools? Surely not my eating utensils...

• User
    8 years ago

How about this on the wall left of the range, or inside one of the range cabinet doors

Carrie B thanked User
  • jesshs
    8 years ago

Why not have your spices in the second drawer from the top? That should work just fine.

Carrie B thanked jesshs
  • Carrie B
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Jesshs - my lower drawers are pretty deep, so either I'd have to stack the spices (and have to dig to get the lower ones) or just do one layer & waste a good amount of space above. Plus, where would I put my pots/pans/linens/cat food, etc.? Not expecting you to answer these questions for me, just expressing my difficulty in deciding.

• User
    8 years ago

re stacking spices. You could group them in stacking boxes. Baking spices, salts/peppers, rarely used ones, italian, etc. Then maybe they could live happily in a deep drawer right where you prep.

Amazon Idea

Other ideas

Carrie B thanked User
  • kiko_gw
    8 years ago

Those hexagons are beautiful!!! I use a drawer to the right of our cooktop. It's about 8.5 x 19 x 4. The bottles are from ebay.

• chellefnp
    8 years ago

Right before I found this thread, I actually had placed an order for the Rev-a-Shelf cabinet pullout for my spices. I have a 12" wall cabinet next to my stove in our new kitchen. I wanted to live with it for a few months before I committed to something, so this is what I settled on. It also has the benefit of allowing me to change this cabinet to a pull out instead of a traditional cabinet door which swings against a wall, so less chance of dinging up the wall over time.

Will post an update after I get it and try it out.

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

Maybe I misunderstand how the spice storage carousel works, MrsPete. It looks like you have to take the top containers out to get to the ones below. If that's not the case, I agree that steps/motions would be equivalent to drawer storage. If you do have to do that, it's too much work for me. YMMV.

I find it easiest to keep my spice blends in their original store containers because they are so easy to identify. I don't even have to read the label as i just recognize the Old Bay, Johnny's, Mrs Dash, etc., containers. Super quick to grab. The rest are in an assortment of tins, jars and small bottles but they are alphabetized and easy to find. They don't have to be in the same containers to be organized.

Carrie B thanked funkycamper
  • desertsteph
    8 years ago

oh carrie - time to remodel and put in more drawer stacks - lol!

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Desertsteph - I'll have to put them in the living room! (all my kitchen lowers are drawers!)

• oldbat2be
    8 years ago

DH made these holders, and so I have cooking spices on two upper cabinet doors, and my baking spices on a third. Extra spices (and less used ones) are in the cabinets as well.

Carrie B thanked oldbat2be
  • sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

That is so smart to have the lucite fronts on those spice shelves so you can read through them!

Here's my half-a-drawer with the spices in their original containers, on the IKEA "shelves"

Carrie B thanked sjhockeyfan325
  • homechef59
    8 years ago

I am short. I have the spice pull downs that rebunky showed you in a picture. They are available online only from Target. Mine cost $11.00. They have worked out really well. I have a series of these in two cabinets. I have a lot of spices and they are in all sorts of containers. It's a very efficient use of space and a lot of bang for the buck.

Carrie B thanked homechef59
  • llucy
    8 years ago

Only once have I lived near a market that sold spices in bulk. And of course they didn't sell every spice I used.

I've used several of the spice storage options suggested on this thread, all have worked okay. I wouldn't invest in a system though where all spices needed to be decanted unless I could buy all my spices in bulk. Decanting every little McCormick, Spice Island, etc. seems a pita to me compared to the solutions that adapt to any size spice jars.

Carrie B thanked llucy
  • desertsteph
    8 years ago

oldbat2be - I've seen little shelves like that online somewhere - probably amazon. I really like those.

carrie - but if you get rid of your beautiful new table, you could add another drawer stack at the end of your sink run - around the bump out space... just put a piece of counter top on it w/a hang over into your 'dining' space to replace your table... sound like fun? lol!

Carrie B thanked desertsteph
  • LE
    8 years ago

Was going to post a pic of mine, but they are the lucite- fronted ones above. It does make for a shallower shelf, but that is a plus-- keeps the oil and vinegar collection at just 2 or 3 deep. (I like this solution enough that we did 2 cabs worth in the new house.)

Carrie B thanked LE
  • Carrie B
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks so much, everyone. I ended up going with the IKEA organizers, at least for now. They were a cheap & easy option, so I won't feel too bad if I end up changing my mind & donating these out one day. Two of the $3.99 trays fit most of my spices, with just a few stragglers tucked in above/left.

I did use up most of my "junk drawer", but a lot that was in there wasn't stuff that I needed such easy access to anyway. What do they say about necessity being the mother of invention?

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks so much, everyone. I ended up going with the IKEA organizers, at least for now. They were a cheap & easy option, so I won't feel too bad if I end up changing my mind & donating these out one day. Two of the $3.99 trays fit most of my spices, with just a few stragglers tucked in above/left.

I did use up most of my "junk drawer", but a lot that was in there wasn't stuff that I needed such easy access to anyway. What do they say about necessity being the mother of invention?

• msmeow
    8 years ago

I picked up one of the Rubbermaid pull-down spice racks yesterday, and DRAT - it's too tall for my cabinet shelf! I may end up having DH cut out half of one shelf to fit it in. Though I'm going to check out the spice liners shown above as well.

Donna

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

I think you'll really like this, Carrie. It's going to make cooking even quicker. Better to put your junk drawer stuff in that shoebox, imho. It's more important to have your cooking stuff in your cooking zone.

• sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

Someone pointed out recently that while many of us have junk drawers in the kitchen, really, most of the stuff that goes in that drawer doesn't belong in the kitchen at all - so keep the spices and move the junk!

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    8 years ago

You know, given that I've got so little storage, there's stuff in the kitchen that probably technically doesn't belong there...

Remember before kitchen rehab when all placemats, tablecloths & cloth napkins were stored in the living room because there was no room in the kitchen?

I have a drawer in the LR hutch with transit tokens, pens, tape, calculator, etc. and the kitchen junk drawer w/ some of that stuff: shopping list paper, pen, scissors, tape measure... one drawer is not enough... so...