SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hudson___wy

2016 Contest - Hybrid: Big Beef

hudson___wy
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

We are announcing the 2016 Contest - Hybrid Variety - Big Beef - now to allow everyone time to purchase/plant seeds after January 1, 2016 and participate on this thread. This thread will be dedicated to Big Beef with the purpose of inviting everyone that has an interest growing this variety - to compare their growing experience with Big Beef and competing for the best results.

Contest Rules:

Here is a review of the Contest Categories for all participants.

Note: Ripe tomato for all categories means picked on the vine ripe or ripened on the counter and >90% red/pink. All entries for any category must include a photo.

Note: Seeds must be planted after December 31, 2015. Please post entries during the season as you have entries. The deadline for all entries must be posted by 12/31/2016. I will make a summary post after 12/31/2016 with the winner of each category.

Note: Thread participants will determine the winner of the prettiest and most unusual ripe tomatoes from my summary post after 12/31/2016.

Note: You need not register to post an entry - Please post an entry at any time prior to 12/31 - the more entries the better!!!!

Note: There are not restrictions for fertilization and serenading !! - haha

Contest Categories

1. Largest ripe tomato including fused fruit.

2. Largest ripe tomato from a single blossom.

3. Earliest ripe tomato for all zones and by each individual zone.

4. Latest ripe tomato for all zones (photo to include a scale showing the weight)

5. Prettiest ripe tomato weighing at least the weight of the average sized fruit for this variety.

6. Most unusual ripe tomato

7. Most blossoms/buds on a truss (note: a photo of the truss showing blossoms/buds is fine - we trust your total count).

8. Most ripe tomatoes from a truss (note: photo can show the ripe tomatoes that are on the truss at the time of the photo - we trust your total count of ripe tomatoes from that truss).

9. Most ripe tomatoes from a single plant.

Here is a seed source description of Big Beef:

Big Beef Hybrid - 1994 ALL-AMERICA SELECTIONS AWARD. One of the finest ever hybrids yet for home gardeners. Impressive yields of extra-large, 10 to 12 oz. smooth tomatoes with real old-time flavor. Its virtues include great disease resistance, early harvests and fruit that stays enormous even at the end of a long season. Indeterminate. 73 days.

The Contest begins January 1, 2016 - wishing all of you the best growing results possible !! Let the fun begin !!

Comments (209)

• aruzinsky
    7 years ago

"The picture really doesn't do it justice because it is much wider than it is deep, so not perfectly round. "

My assumption of a perfect sphere overestimates, not underestimates, the weight. But, I underestimated the weight by disregarding the fact that the golf ball is closer to the camera lens than the tomato is. I simply measured the widest parts of the images on my TV screen with a ruler. They were 8" for the tomato and 3.75" for the golf ball. (8/3.75)*1.68 = 3.584

It would be easier for you to measure the tomato's circumference with a tailor's tape measure. I think I'll do that on my largest green Big Beef tomato and report it.

• hoosier40 6a Southern IN
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

aruzinsky,

Circumference is 15" which would yield a diameter of 4.78".

edit: Found this: https://delectationoftomatoes.wordpress.com/2012/08/28/predicting-and-estimating-tomato-weights/

Using the circumference method and using his factor of .90 for green tomatoes I came up with a weight of 1.42 lbs. If it measured the same at 25 percent ripe it would yield a weight of 1.497 lbs. I guess we will see how close this is when I pick. :)

• Related Discussions

Big Beef ... Finally -(2)

Q

Comments (23)
    I'm glad you were able to acquire both versions and compare, although I wasn't expecting the OP to perform so poorly, it would get removed. In other words, the OP pleaded "no contest" and I can eliminate the curiosity of locating seeds from my tomato growing bucket list. That's OK as I can get a pack of F1 seeds for $1.25 which will last a few seasons. There have been times I've said, "next year I'm going to grow nothing but Big Beef and forget about the rest". Of course, that won't happen. Too many other varieties I hope to try in the future. Big Beef OP won't be one of them. Thanks for your reports on the OP. Austin
    ...See More

2016 Contest - Dwarf Project: New Big Dwarf

Q

Comments (193)
    I like to get my seeds from vendors that grew their plants in areas similar to mine, if possible (however, most places are pretty different). The reason I like to do this is acclimatization. If a plant gets used to growing in a greenhouse, or a vastly different region, it might take a few years of growing in your climate to get it acclimatized sufficiently. I think acclimatization to your own personal soil and water is as important as acclimatization to the climate, however. Seeds from my friend a couple miles away just don't grow the same in my soil. Even my neighbor's yard is different with seeds from the same seed packet. When I say they don't grow the same, I mean the production and taste is different. The plants can still seem healthy.
    ...See More

Big Brandy Hybrid

Q

Comments (55)
    MusicMinded - Big Brandy had a great taste but Brandy Boy was by far the best producer. There are so many Brandy........whatevers that I have moved on to other Brandys for this year. I would plant them again though. I have limited space in our GH which dictates a lot how many varieties we can plant. I think they will do well for you! Big Brandy finished the season fine and produced longer into the season than the heirloom varieties we planted. We only planted one Big Brandy as I remember but it was aggressive in growth and disease resistant.
    ...See More

Show Your Tomato Plants N Garden ... 2016 (1)

Q

Comments (36)
    Sey, yeah, that is fast for a first tomato. That variety is the one that I was telling you of a while back. I got it from a friend of mine, and he got it about 6 years ago as a Watermelon Beefsteak. It is super early, strong grower, productive, and lasts well to the end of the season. It is not red at all... it is more of a black / purple / chocolate beefsteak but does not have a lot of green shoulders. We liked it so much the first season that we saved seeds and have been growing it now for 6 years. It probably averages 12 - 16 oz fruits. It has been the first to ripen in my garden since i got hold of it. Silvia, Nice looking beans and Oxhearts! My trial plants' theme for this season is oxhearts, so I am trialing 5 varieties. I also liked the pics of the flower market. Amsterdam is a unique place, for sure.
    ...See More
  • aruzinsky
    7 years ago

"Circumference is 15"

If it were a sphere of water, it would weigh 2.05 lbs.. My largest is 26.5 cm which translates to 0.69 lbs..

"factor of .90 for green tomatoes"

I wanted to check whether a green Big Beef tomato floats in water so I looked for one that had dropped to the ground this morning but some animal had eaten it. I'm not going to remove one from a plant so that will have to wait.

• janice8bcharlestonsc
    7 years ago

All the tomatoes I tested float in water, except one. I tested ripe and green tomatoes, including Big Beef. I used treated tap water at room temprature. Water here tends to be lower ph. A super ripe Purple Bumble Bee sank.

• aruzinsky
    7 years ago

The maximum density of water, 1 g./cc., occurs at 4 degrees Centigrade. I remember this because my public high school physics teacher, Mr. Finkbinder, circa 1964, said that this was evidence that there is a God because, otherwise, lakes would freeze from the bottom up, killing fish.

Anyway, in the present context, room temperature is close enough.

• mnwsgal
    7 years ago

Picked my first tomato this year today. It was a Big Boy though not all that big and has a dry area from BER but that will be easily cut away when it is completely ripe.

I noted in another post that deer have been eating the blossoms and tomatoes on B Sudduth. Not so on Big Boy as there are tomatoes still to ripen on it.

• Jerry (Broomfield CO 5)
    7 years ago

I am never going to win a zone-first contest because my vegetable garden is partially shaded. I picked my first Big Beef today at the orange/pink stage because we are headed out of town for ten days in the morning.

This is my first time with BB and it will be very productive - there are 30+ fruits set, although fruit set has slowed with a series of 95 degree days.

Plant is about 60" tall and 45" wide. BB, Black Krim and Early Girl have the most green fruit for me. The only tomatoes eaten so far are two Cherokee Purple (in full sun) and a few Sungolds. As you can see in the pic, it looks like nothing will over-ripen during our trip and we should see plenty of red when we return

My first one is about 6 OZ and has a nose! It looks like some 9-10 oz units green on the plant. This seems to be the only cracked one and the later fruits are not ribbed like this one.

Jerry

Below: Up higher on the plant fruit continues to set.

• aruzinsky
    7 years ago

My first ripe Big Beef is 27.5 cm circumference:

http://www.general-cathexis.com/images/FirstRipeBigBeef.jpg

I live in the Chicago area for which the USDA recently changed the hardiness zone from 5b to 6a. I blame Obama. This must be part of his global warming propaganda lies. Ten miles west of me, it's still 5b. Do I still win category 3 for my zone?

These are my Big Beef plants:

http://www.general-cathexis.com/images/BigBeefPlants.jpg

The tallest is 7 ft. but the ripe fruit is on the smallest.

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    7 years ago

I measured the specific gravity of couple of tomatoes in my kitchen laboratory and came up with. 0.95.( +/- 0.02)

The ones i did test on did float but only a tint bit of them was exposed.

Here is how I did:

==put the mater in a small container.

== fill it withe water

== took the tomato out and filled the container back with measured amount of water = v (cc)

== weighed the tomato on scale = w (gr)

== divided "w" by "v" and got 0.95 gr/cc

That is pretty much what tomatoes are, mostly water, plus some solids plus some air/gas.

It is very difficult to measure the volume of tomato by tape, cause it has no perfect geometric shape. JMO

Sey

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    7 years ago

I'm not going to win anything, but I offer thanks to Hudson for suggesting Big Beef. Here it is my biggest plant, has set the most fruit and was the first to produce a full size ripe fruit. I'll probably eat it tonight.

• hudson___wy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Sey - is that "nice to know" info - haha I'm glad there are gardener's like you that like to figure out that kind of info!

Great to hear that Harryshoe! I was impressed with Big Beef also!

• janice8bcharlestonsc
    7 years ago

Wow!

• hudson___wy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

That's a big one! I think you have everyone beat - to date. Congratulations! Nice Big Beef Tomato!

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    7 years ago

Wow! hoosier, congrats .

That one lives up to its name : BIG beef.

Sey

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    7 years ago

My harvest is winding down from the first flush. My 4 Big Beef have so far yielded 107 fruit for a total of 50 lb. 6 oz. or just a tad under 1/2 lb. average. The largest was 17 oz. I expect the second flush that set during a cool spell in late June to average closer to 5-6 oz.

My only other slicer is Black Krim and it has yielded 23 fruit weighing 13 lb. or a little over 1/2 lb. average. Largest was 15.6 oz. The Black Krim only set a few fruit on the second flush.

• aruzinsky
    7 years ago

Hoosier40, please, show a photo of the entire plant that the 1.7 lb. fruit came from, to give me some idea of your growing technique.

7 years ago

Aruzinsky,

I apologize for the pictures, but it's hard to get close enough to see the plant and not too far to really see anything. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but I planted the tomatoes and gradually hilled them up 8 to 10 inches or so. They are planted 4 feet apart in rows 4 feet apart. The tomatoes on all of the varieties are running on the large size this year compared to the last 2 years that I have done virtually the same thing. I have probably pulled at least 6 other Big Beefs that were right at 1 1/2 lbs. A few differences this year:

The weather has been much better with warm temperatures and less rainfall.

I planted out a few weeks later because of a very wet spring.

I gave them a bit more fertilizer this year than I usually do to make up for the late start.

It seemed to be less early blossoming and fewer tomatoes per cluster. I did no pruning of stems or fruit.

I don't know if any of this was helpful and I am not entirely sure why myself other than things lined up just right and the tomato gods were feeling sorry for me. :)

• aruzinsky
    7 years ago

Thanks.

• mnwsgal
    7 years ago

Ate my first Big Beef tomatoes tonight. One was 8 oz. And one was 7.9 oz. Both had some cracking along the top due to large rainfall earlier. Picked a couple blushing ones today before tonight's expected rain that don't have cracks. Tasted Grrreat!

• yepperbepper
    7 years ago

I've picked 8 tomatoes off of my Big Beef in 2 days. I ate. Kids ate. Old Timer stopped over to pick one up and the neighbors got one. This thing is producing some huge tomatoes and I counted about 30 ready to blush and new tomatoes still setting on top. Nice choice for the contest. I will "weigh" in tomorrow when I pick in the morning. Great flavor. Pretty meaty, but not mealy. Thumbs up. Hoosier....that's a big one. I know I'm getting well over a pound fruits, but don't know if I can beat your weight. Yikes.

• aruzinsky
    7 years ago

So far, I have eaten several Big Beef tomatoes on sandwiches and I am disappointed in the flavor which is just too weak. They seem to only add texture to the sandwich. I prefer tart tomatoes with a strong aroma on my sandwiches.

• yepperbepper
    7 years ago

Aruzinsky....you are right about the flavor. Definitely mild, but that's what I was expecting. Almost melon like. Imo. A friend of mine who has previously grown these said the later tomatoes have a heavier taste. We shall see. I like it, though. No Heartburn. Lol

7 years ago

Just got back after 10 days in Montana. One 11-12 oz B went bad and had to toss it. Picked 9 smaller ones and tried one on "bread-less BLT". Tasted good there. Better than Early Girl and Lemon Boy that are my other plants producing now, although my wife likes Early Girl. It will be between Early Girl and BB next year as my early variety. Lemon Boy is out - my wife likes the color, but we can get color with Sungold with better taste and great reliability. BB produced a large number of fruits early, but slowed with a long stretch of hot weather. Early Girl kept setting fruit, so it has more now. Picked the first of many large Black Krim and will try it tonight. It has at least as many pounds of fruits as BB and is only about 8-9 days behind.

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    7 years ago

The flavor must be affected by the growing conditions. My BB's are exquisite this year. They are right up there with Brandywine Sudduth. We've had a hotter, dryer summer than we had the last couple years when I also grew these two. This is the best year ever for taste. Of course taste is subjective, but other people I've shared these with also agree that they are out of this world.

7 years ago

IMO the biggest killer of taste and texture of tomatoes is too much water. The drier they are the more concentrated the taste and acidity. If you are having a lot of rain there is not too much you can do but if you are watering I would cut back. I don't water unless the plants start wilting during the hottest part of the day. You have to careful of splitting when you do get a rain and I will usually pull everything I can in advance.

• aruzinsky
    7 years ago

"later tomatoes have a heavier taste"

Apparently true because I had one yesterday that was okay. Still, I rather eat a Big Zac, Brandy Boy or Best Boy.

7 years ago

Update on my Big Beef. the plant has been an excellent producer by any standard and fruits are nice size and great looking. If i were to grow a red hybrid again, it would be Big Beef. However, I am going 100% heirlooms next year with one exception: Sungold. Interestingly, my other plants have outgrown big Beef lately and are setting more late fruit:

Early Girl

Black Krim

Black form Tula

Lemon Boy (next smallest about 5.5ft)

Thessaloniki

Sungold

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    7 years ago

I am up to 263 fruit (103.5 lbs.) from my 4 Big Beef plants. Largest is a 17 oz. one I picked back in July. Not much fruit left on the plants to pick but they have been setting more in the last couple weeks that won't have time to ripen. The plants are pretty crispy now especially on the west facing side that gets more intense sun in the afternoon. I am going to leave them be for a couple more weeks and hopefully the recently set fruit will get to a nice size for making pickled green tomatoes.

• aruzinsky
    7 years ago

Two of my plants just hit the 10 ft. mark. One plant is dying. I didn't get much harvest. Largest tomato was 0.75 lbs.. Back to the drawing boards.

• mnwsgal
    7 years ago

My Big Beef has consistently produced ripe tomatoes every few days. While they are nice looking, picture perfect, the flavor is just okay. Probably too much rain as we have had rain every three or four days and are several inches ahead of annual rainfall expectations. B Suddoth, Stump of the World and Brandy Boy produce enough eating tomatoes for us so doubt I will plant Big Beef again.

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    7 years ago

BREAKING : I just picked my first decent size Big Beef. In the past I have been picking much smaller ones.. Not quite fully ripe. Has to sit on the counter a few days.

At 6.6 oz it is not really a BIG beef. But I take it.heheThere are a lot more of the same size, breaking color.

Sey

• hudson___wy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Looks Great Sey! Our 2nd crop is ripening. I think I am going to try a different variety next year rather than plant Big Beef again. Big Beef is a good producer but not that exceptional variety that we are looking for in our GH climate.

• fireduck
    7 years ago

Nice job sey! For the area you grow in...I think you are doing a great job! I am still getting lots of BB's...not the larger ones now. I will probably always grow BB...just because they are bullet-proof in my area. Ed of Somis

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    7 years ago

Thanks Hudson and Ed.

Probably I will grow Big Beef again , along with Big Boy next year. I like the look and size of Big Boy better than Better Boy.

Sey

• User
    7 years ago

I wish I had returned to this site earlier. Big Beef has been my dependable "go to" hybrid for years when the heirlooms were thin. But this year I tried some 'Garden Treasure' hybrid seeds and it beats Big Beef in all ways. Sorry Big Beef, you've been replaced.

• hudson___wy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Mark - do you have some photos you would be willing to share - I would love to see what the plant and fruit looks like in a successful garden!

• Julia_WI Zone 5b
    7 years ago

Hi every one,

I'm back! I was out of home for over 50 days since mid July and wasn't able to witness the peak season of my tomatoes. This was how my Big Beef looked like on July 20 before I left home.

Hubby didn't take care of my garden when I was absent, so when I came back, the tomato plants were kinda of a big mess. Some of the plants are dying with lots of yellow leaves. Many fruits are rotten on the tree or eaten by chipmunks. However, I'm still able to pick some good ones for my own enjoyment. Here is the mix of Parker's Whopper, Brandwine Pink and Big Beef.

The largest Big Beef I have in this batch was almost 15 oz. I'm pretty sure this wasn't the largest one it produced, just couldn't verify. I grow Big Beef and Park's Whopper side by side, I can tell that Big Beef outperform the Park's Whopper with bigger and more fruits. I will definitely grow Big Beef next year. By the way, the taste is very good too.

• nanelle_gw (usda 9/Sunset 14)
    7 years ago

I think you must be glad to be back. Good job! I am about to leave for two weeks, and you'd think I was leaving infants behind!

• hudson___wy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Our 2nd crop of Big Beef is doing great! I wished they had the Heirloom Taste!! They taste good but not like an Heirloom - IMO.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    7 years ago

Are those plastic tomatoes Hudson? They look too perfect to be real :)

• hudson___wy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

LoneJack - Haha - thanks for the compliment - I have the advantage of a closed climate controlled GH. When I do my job properly (watering, fertilizer, etc.) I have a good chance of a great outcome. I don't show you the bad ones though :)

Here are a few more plastic tomatoes - haha

• mnwsgal
    7 years ago

I picked a BIg Beef today. My season is about ended with my plants still ripening a couple of tomatoes every few days. Big Beef tomatoes look nice but haven't been as good tasting as my other varieties. I will not plant Big Beef again.

• hudson___wy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I agree Hennepin !

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    7 years ago

Fun to see what others are growing! I grew Big Beef this year. I picked this before a storm came in. 1 lb. 5oz. (594 kg)

• hudson___wy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Sandyslopes - what did you think of the flavor? Compared to other varieties you grow?

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    7 years ago

Of the ones I've eaten from this one plant, I've really liked the flavor. It's mild but with a nice tomato taste. A little on the sweet side. And this one was juicy and made some big, beautiful slices for sandwiches. They do have a lot of "meat" in the middle, but it's tender enough. I'd grow it again.

I've been growing for many years but having a small vegetable garden I don't get to try that many varieties, so I really haven't tried that many different kinds of the large tomatoes to compare it with. I do get some good ideas here for what I might want to try next.

• hudson___wy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

sandyslopes - we don't really grow that far apart geographically although we are at a higher elevation and we can only grow tomatoes successfully in a GH. Have you ever tried Brandy Boy Hybrid? We grow Brandy Boy for taste and also because it is very prolific. It is still a Burpee exclusive so you have to get seeds through Burpee or Burpee's outlets. If you like the good old heirloom tomato tangy taste (not sweet) - you may want to try the variety. Here is a link/thread for you to review if you are interested.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/2215241/brandy-boy-awesome-variety?n=77

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    7 years ago

Just went through that thread. Brandy Boy sounds like a good one to try, so it goes on my list. I've tried Brandywine, but IIRC, I didn't get all that many of them. Not that I need a ton of tomatoes, but with such a short season I want to feel rewarded for all the effort that goes into a vegetable garden. :-)

• aruzinsky
    7 years ago

I thought it worth mentioning that my only Big Beef that is not dying was sprayed several times with 25 ppm forchlorfenuron:

http://www.general-cathexis.com/images/BigBeef1-10-8-16.jpg

I doubt that any of the tomatoes will turn red before frost, but, if they do, I will post.