SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mandyscherer

Kid proofing the new house...

farmdrmer
8 years ago

We will have a 3yr old and 6 month old when we move in. I'm not talking about the obvious stair gates, cabinet locks, etc.. I'm thinking more about what I would not think about because our last house was a 50s ranch house and now we have a modern two story. Also, things I can do to protect the house from the kids (and dogs!). :)

For example, before my son could not have gotten to the bedroom window, even if he did it was 1 story. Now he has huge windows in a 2nd story room. We will keep the screen on and use the window locks, hopefully that is enough to keep him from ever climbing out while allowing fire escape if ever needed. I'm sure I'm missing other things along these lines because it is a different style of house. Anyone have similar experience?

I'm also thinking of how to protect my house from the kids, especially wood floors. Maybe a rug under dining table for now. Even though it's gross when kids throw food I can clean the carpet but might stain the hardwood? Any ideas of how you keep the new house "safe" from kiddos??!

i should add that I am someone who likes to live in my house, I use my good china and don't mind patina. BUT this is our forever house and my kids are hard on things, I'd love if anyone has ideas I haven't thought of to help keep the balance of living in the house without too much destruction?? With two boys and dogs I'm probably doomed in this department...! ;)

Comments (20)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner