SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greasetrap_gw

Relationship between PH, Hardness & Alkalinity

greasetrap
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I've been trying to understand the relationship between PH, hardness and alkalinity, and how changing one component affects the others. I'm more interested in this from a taste perspective rather than overall water quality. General recommendations I've seen on coffee fanatic websites, suggest that about 90 ppm of hardness (with the hardness coming from calcium & magnesium) and 50 ppm of alkalinity are ideal, as this gives you the best taste while minimizing scaling.

A 2012 lab test showed my raw water PH to be 6.7 and overall hardness to be 52 PPM. Iron is also very high at 9.1 PPM. A salesman from my filtration company was out last week, and he confirmed this PH reading and said I had 10 grains of iron in the water. Unfortunately, I didn't ask him to tell me the hardness.

Using an inexpensive aquarium test kit recommended at a coffee site, I got a reading of approximately 6.7 PH and 70 PPM of alkalinity on my raw water. I couldn't get an overall hardness reading (water hadn't changed color after 13 drops). Would this be because the iron content is somehow affecting the hardness reading? I know that an aquarium kit will be much less accurate than a professional one, but overall it's probably good enough for my purposes.

My water is currently treated with a calcite filter, softener and charcoal filter (I'm having a dedicated iron filter installed on Friday). In any event, testing my treated water showed a PH of a bit less than 7.4, overall hardness of less than 20 PPM and alkalinity of about 90 PPM.

The overall hardness figure makes sense to me given the softener, but the other 2 figures confused me a bit. Shouldn't the calcite filter bring the PH to roughly 7.0, and does a softener somehow boost alkalinity while reducing hardness?

Aside from this, my wife isn't crazy about the feel of the softened water, and it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to reduce the sodium level in the water either. Once our iron filter is installed, would it make sense to have a bypass plumbed in, which would allow me to bleed a certain amount of treated but unsoftened water into our pipes? The idea would be let just enough hardness in so the water feels less slippery, but scale doesn't form. It might also improve the taste slightly (although it doesn't taste bad now), and reduce the sodium content (I could do this with potassium as well, but it's a lot more expensive than salt). An RO system won't work with our kitchen setup, so that's not really an option.

Thanks for your help.

Comments (8)