SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
akgildea

Deterring Deer -- hope springs eternal

8 years ago

Generally, it seems discussions of keeping deer out of gardens lean mostly toward fencing the area as the only really dependable solution. But I still have to ask: has anyone had luck with (or even tried) a product called Nature's Mace? It comes in a granular form that doesn't wash away after one rain (so they say). And I'm hopeful that, combined with spraying with Liquid Fence (or urine, or stinky fish stuff), the combo will be effective enough.

We have a woodland vacation home in eastern WV (aka "deer wonderland"), and I have planted many "deer resistant" young shrubs near the home. Trouble is, the deer are not well informed about what they should not enjoy so they nibble (or decimate) everything. I had reasonably good luck last season when I was dutifully spraying LF about every 2 weeks. This year I'm not sure I'll be able to get out here as often to spray, and so am hopeful that this Natures Mace granular release can tide over the longer stretches between spraying. Did a search for the stuff here though -- nary a mention of it yet. Is it too new? Does it just not work? Please help; my hydrangeas, nine bark, witch hazel, and bottlebrush buckeye are at serious risk.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County