SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilovecucumbers

NO MORE WILDFLOWER MIX EVER--need weed strategy

Hi there,

In spring 2014, I planted perennial flowers from seed--Sweet Williams, bleeding hearts, etc. Because they wouldn't come up for an entire year, and because I wanted flowers to enjoy, I planted a wildflower mix from Johnny's Seeds. The "flowers" looked pretty on the package.

HUGE MISTAKE. In my garden area, they looked like weeds--I think they are weeds, in fact. The package said they were annuals, though, so no harm done. I thought.

Fast forward to spring 2015. None of the perennial seeds came up. But I sure did get a lot of wildflowers. Also, HUGE weeds I'd never seen before, like mulleins. Big and ugly. I had other big ugly weeds, too--again, had never had them before.

Today, I weeded the whole area. The weeds in that area have exploded since I planted that wildflower mix.

I know the weed seeds are still in the soil. But is there anything I can do to keep those wildflowers--and whatever weeds I just removed--from coming up next spring?

I'd really like to plant actual flowers there in the spring again, from seed. NO MORE WILDFLOWER MIX, EVER.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!