SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gramarows

Clueless about tablets

gramarows
8 years ago

Ok. I'm a little behind the times. Well, a whole lot, actually. And have much to learn. Right now I'm wondering about tablets. Assuming one doesn't need anything additional other than regular home wireless internet, because I'm not getting anything extra, what are the different types and better brands/models? I'm not planning to read a whole LOT of books, but one can surf the net, right? Do you have one? Do you like it? Use it instead of a laptop - is it worthwhile? Would you make a different choice than the one you have, and if so why? Why did you select the one you have? What do I need to know? Can you use it elsewhere - do you need some fancy other type of internet service? Am I the only clueless one? Thanks for any thoughts & information.

Comments (48)

• flowerpwr45
    8 years ago

I am pretty much as clueless as you, but I do have a Samsung tablet and to be honest, rarely use it. The laptop keyboard is so much easier for me to use than the keyboard on the tablet screen.

gramarows thanked flowerpwr45
  • User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I'm not a techie at all, and resisted change at first. But once we bought an iPad, I was hooked. We have the both the first and second generation models, and I use the newer, lighter one. I put my laptop up, and haven't touched it since.

It just uses Wi-fi wherever you are, same as a laptop. One neat feature I used on a trip recently.....we were in a place with bad Wi-fi, so I synched it with my phone, and was able to use it (in the car, too).

I downloaded Kindle, and read most of my books on the iPad now (another thing I resisted for a long time).

It's just so convenient to carry around, and use anywhere. There are lots of Apps for it. You can plug it into your other computers, and download pictures or whatever. I also have Netflix on it, for movies.

As a non-techie person, I found my iPad very easy to learn and adjust to.

I'm sure others will have more in-depth advice, I just wanted to weigh in as someone who doesn't like change .... this was a change I love, and embraced fully. I haven't had a single problem with it.

gramarows thanked User
  • Related Discussions

@ Raven ? about your Asus tablet

Q

Comments (50)
    Might be useful for Android users..... from Google >>> "Photon Flash Browser for Android is the leading #1 browser for Flash player plugin support and video streaming that liberate your browsing experience on Android. Our leading edge technology allows the user to browse the web fast, runs Javascript at speeds faster than Chrome or Firefox on your device (during cloud streaming mode). Users can play Flash without installing or downloading any Flash plugin (which is currently also not available and possible after Adobe pulled Flash support for Android officially). Photon Flash Player and Web Browser Free supports Flash games, Flash videos and Flash websites. You can browse natively on the browser and when you need Flash support, you just need to click the lightning bolt button to activate Flash support for your Android tablets or phones. You can use Photon Flash Player for free with ads or purchase a premium pass to remove ads." HAGD Here is a link that might be useful: Flash for/on Android
    ...See More

Clueless about kitchen sinks!

Q

Comments (23)
    Do you have a dishwasher? If you are doing most of the dishes in your sink you want a double bowl. When I redid the kitchen I made a conscious decision that I was going to put absolutely everything into the dishwasher, no more hot soapy water sitting in one side of the sink for me. Peelings go into the compost bucket (blanco solon). So now everything goes in the dishwasher and I have a lovely large single sink that is absolutely empty most of the time. I have the silgranit diamond sink, everything that they tell you about it being easy to clean is true, everything that they tell you about how fragile it is before it is installed is also true.
    ...See More

A ? about Kindle tablets vs Nooks

Q

Comments (5)
    Many of the eReader apps available have a dictionary feature in fact I think all do. Some you hover, some you highlight and the dictionary option pops up. I use the kindle app on my android tablet it has a dictionary, I also use aldiko reader and AIreader. You can add any number of different reader apps to an android tablet like your nexus. Have you tried various types of reader apps on it? I had to try a few for my husband to find one with the options he likes that turned out to be A I reader app, available free at the play store.
    ...See More

clueless about design/furniture/placement/challenges

Q

Comments (6)
    I’ll have to add the floor plan measurements when I move in for sure. The flooring is going to replaced with hardwood, it’s the front entry living space, so there won’t be a tv, just needs to be a comfortable, pretty and welcoming place people can sit and visit. There’s another living space in the back room for the television and stuff.
    ...See More
  • maddielee
    8 years ago

I love my iPad Air. Love it so much that I rarely use the PC or laptop. I do all my banking, record keeping, reading, photo taking, surfing the web, etc. from the comfort of anyplace I want to be.

There is no heat that you sometimes have with a laptop.

My daughter just won a Kindle fire (?). She is very happy with it. They cost less then the iPad.

gramarows thanked maddielee
  • Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

I use my iPad almost exclusively for email, Internet surfing and reading. I borrow dh's laptop for the few internet tasks I can't do on an iPad (most shutterfly type websites). We have wifi. That's the only thing I need to use mine. We are all apple and the iPad is plug and play. So easy to use.

gramarows thanked Nothing Left to Say
  • User
    8 years ago

I have a Google Nexus 7. Bought it two years ago and love it. I'm typing on it now as I usually only use my laptop in the morning. I can't cut and paste with it but that's the only difference between it and my laptop. It was between the Nexus and the iPad, but the reviews I read on the tech websites were just as good for both but the iPad was about $100 more.

Pictures are incredibly sharp and colors are more accurate. Sound is great. I have watched short videos on it. I do some reading on it and really prefer it over books. I surf the web, play Candy Crush and Words with Friends. I've recently set it up to receive email. I'm really not sure what else I can do with it as I'm not tech savvy. I don't take photos with it.

So I typed this whole thing with five typos, which were easy to correct once you get the hang of it. At first I didn't like typing on it but there is an autocorrect that I can just tap to select the correct word. I do like being able to use it in bed or sitting in a chair. I also love being able to check something quickly without having to turn on my computer. I don't have a smartphone so maybe some of this can be done that way.

gramarows thanked User
  • maddielee
    8 years ago

Mayflowers...you can cut and paste on your Nexus.

Here's how

• gramarows
    Original Author
    8 years ago

This is really hard to admit not knowing, but, an ipad is a tablet? I have a macbook laptop, so should look into costs of an ipad. I do have trouble managing tiny keyboards, and got rid of my last phone for a,,,,,,flip phone....with big buttons.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    8 years ago

Yes, an ipad is a tablet. It is by far the most popular tablet out there and has the most apps available. If you are near any place that sells them, go in and try typing on it. I'm not a good thumb typist but the onscreen keyboard on the ipad and other tablets that size is not like typing on a phone, and you can get external keyboards for most of them if you prefer that.

gramarows thanked writersblock (9b/10a)
  • maddielee
    8 years ago

Steve Jobs, and the good folks at Apple, never wanted to refer to the iPad as a tablet.

But it really is one.

gramarows thanked maddielee
  • gramarows
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Well, the ipad pro looks fantastic, but I'm not going to be even considering that until I sell my other house....phooey.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    8 years ago

You don't have to get the ipad pro. Most people are happy with the regular ol' ipad, you know.

• aok27502
    8 years ago

I have an Samsung Galaxy ..um ..3? It's a couple of years old. I bought it mainly for the e-reader, for which I downloaded a Kindle app. I use that daily. I occasionally use it for surfing, and I take it with me when I travel instead of my laptop. It's fairly small, and I find typing on the keypad to be cumbersome. It's also pretty slow, but that has probably improved in recent versions. The price was right, it was less than $150 at the time, which was all I could justify for a gadget that I didn't really need.

gramarows thanked aok27502
  • Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

Fwiw, dh planned to get the iPad pro but when he went to play with it in person he decided not to. He said it was too big for him to type on the onscreen keyboard. He has the regular iPad size. I have the mini. He likes the bigger screen for viewing movies and such. He also does a lot of work on his. I like the smaller size so it is more portable for me.

• gramarows
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Writersblock, the size of the ipad pro's keyboard looks great, so at least no concerns there. I will check one out at the Apple store, but I'll wait till after Christmas - no way am I going near a mall anytime soon, and now there's no rush anyway, given the cost. Thanks to you and maddielee for letting me know it's a tablet. BTW, more ignorance, what's a "thumb typist"?

Any one have recommendations for anything else? The more I think about it, the $1000. buys waaaaaaay more technology than I need for my modest needs. Maybe something inexpensive for now, then replace my mac with the next generation, in the future....

Edited to add: thanks writers, aok and crl; I was still writing when you all posted. I will look into the Samsung.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    8 years ago

If you don't want to spend a lot of money just to see if you will use the tablet go with one of the Android tablets. I have about 4 of them currently. I love them I have no interest in paying so much more for an Apple product. I can do everything and more on the Android tablet for way way less. I have helped many of my neighbors who never used a tablet before and now they love them and tell me often how glad they are that I introduced them to the android tablet. There's thousands of apps that do pretty much anything you would need. You can add kindle app to read kindle books, you can add the nook app to read nook books, there are probably a hundred different apps for reading various formats of files. There's free office programs, music players, video players, games etc. I can do just about any thing I do on my computer but I can do it comfortably in my recliner or the bed. With a tablet when you need to type a keyboard pops up on the screen and just tap to type. You can add a separate keyboard usually blue tooth or USB.

I would suggest you try a 10 inch android, I have several of the Dragon Touch brand, never had a problem with any of them, all my neighbors also have this type. Here's a link to one on amazon. I have this exact one I am using it right now. You can buy the case for it too.

Octa core tablet at Amazon

Same exact tablet at their eBay Store gives more information

Case for x10

Case for x10 with built-in keyboard.

gramarows thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

You can also see if you can find a refurbed iPad. The ones sold by Apple are warranties for a year and are generally considered a very good deal.

(I have never used an android product. I did have a friend who was persuaded to go that route for her phone and hated it. She was so happy when she switched to apple. Another neighbor did the same thing and had the same results. Ymmv.)

• User
    8 years ago

I just got an e-mail that Best Buy has discounted iPads (I think it said $100 off, but I didn't read the fine print).

gramarows thanked User
  • 3katz4me
    8 years ago

I have an iPad mini with Retina display. I use it for email, surfing the net and reading books. I don't have a laptop but I have an all in one desktop with a huge monitor. I use that for any heavy typing, finances, spreadsheets, etc or if I want to print something as I don't have a wifi printer. Sometimes I use the iPad for recipes if it's something I have online. I also have an iPhone 5S and use that more than anything because I always have it with me in my pocket and use a variety of websites and apps to run my life.

gramarows thanked 3katz4me
  • writersblock (9b/10a)
    8 years ago

If you have a Mac and want to easily move files back and forth you will be very much happier with an iPad than with an android tablet. If you plan to keep them completely separate that's not so important.

Edit: the regular iPad air starts at $499.

• terezosa / terriks
    8 years ago

I saw the iPad Pro at Costco today, and honestly at that size I'd rather use my laptop with keyboard.

gramarows thanked terezosa / terriks
  • User
    8 years ago

You can buy a key pad for a regular ipad. I have the Ipad Air 2 with a keyboard cover combination, I clipped my ipad into it and now it looks and works like a small laptop. The cover was 55.00 on Amazon snugg keyboard cover. Like others, I only use my laptop now when I have to. If you already have a Mac computer, you really can't go wrong by having an Ipad.

gramarows thanked User
  • writersblock (9b/10a)
    8 years ago

Actually, the $499 is for the iPad air 2. The regular iPad air is $399. That's quite a bit less than the iPad pro.

• tinam61
    8 years ago

We have a laptop, an ipad and I have a Nook. I don't know why but I prefer my laptop for most things. I think because I have used it so much, I just haven't gotten into the ipad that much. I got it from work so didn't have to purchase it myself, so no $$$ lost. My nook I have had for some time and I like it to take places. Bought it when my mom was in the hospital to have with me during times of sitting at the hospital. I occasionally read books on it, but not much. I am not much of a reader anymore. You can do a kindle ap on the ipad or laptop to read too. With that said, if I didn't have my nook, I'd probably like an ipad mini. They both have web-access, email, apps, etc. I like the nook library set-up. I do get a couple of magazine subscriptions via my nook. Hope this helps!

gramarows thanked tinam61
  • charleemo
    8 years ago

I took Raven's advice and went with an android device. I have an Acer Iconia and I think it has a 7" screen. I use it daily. So handy to take it room to room or even to my office. I went with that brand because that's what brand my laptop is. I wouldn't mind having a keyboard for it but that doesn't keep me from posting from it. It was around $100.

gramarows thanked charleemo
  • funkycamper
    8 years ago

Syncing between tablet, laptop and phone is a breeze with an Android system. I don't see how Apple ones could be any easier. Calendar, emails, all photos taken on either phone or tablet, documents created, notes, etc., are all accessible on all devices. Oh, all my recipes, too, using Pepperplate, including my grocery shopping list. I watch movies and TV shows on my tablet more than I do on the real TV. I can sit anywhere and enjoy. I take it around the house with me when doing projects so I can watch a show while scrubbing the tub, making the bed, whatever.

I've had two Samsung tablets. Gave my older one to DD when I upgraded. I couldn't imagine paying hundreds more for Apple. But I understand preferring Apple if you're already in that system.

According to Statista, there are 1.6million Android apps and 1.5million Apple apps. Plenty to choose from on either system.

gramarows thanked funkycamper
  • Funkyart
    8 years ago

I have had the ipad since it first came out-- I use mine almost exclusively in bed. If I am doing any real surfing, emails, or forum posting, I use the laptop (or very rarely these days, the desktop). I use mine primarily to read .. kindle books, NPR and the New York Times (though now I can't read NPR or NYT until I upgrade to a new ipad-- it's no longer compatible with my old operating system). I have a few games but I rarely play them. Sometimes I'll hit the internet or an app (open table, for instance) but not for anything significant.

The only time I take mine away from the bedside is when I am traveling .. or the other day, I grabbed it last minute when I needed to get my car inspected. I read in the waiting room. For most everything else on the go, I use my iphone.

Had I not started with the ipad, I could easily get by with one of the much less expensive tablets for the few things I use it for. I will say that I think the newer ipads have significantly better displays than many of the others.

If you aren't clear on how or if you will use it, I'd look into something like the android Fire. it's much less expensive and if you find it's a great tool, you can always upgrade.

One note. You will need a wireless router if you do not already have one in your home. This is a modest investment and it will come in handy as more and more electronics and appliances use wifi.

gramarows thanked Funkyart
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    8 years ago

In answer to the question will I need anything more than my wireless Internet. No your wireless network is all you need. You will just click on the WiFi settings find the name of your WiFi ssid in the list select it enter the password for your wireless network and it will connect, then it will be automatic anytime you turn it on. Android utilizes flash so you can watch flash movies, video etc. There's lots of video tutorials on you tube for using Android but it's extremely easy, the ladies I helped are all over 70 some in their 90s and they do everything they want on it from email, documents, pictures, movies and streaming media, reading, recipes, music, they probably do more than I do lol.

• gramarows
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Funky and others, I have wireless and an older macbook pro 15" laptop; it's about 6 years old now. I ditched the desktop when I bought it. I cart it around the house, use it in bed everynight. Really, it's not a chore to carry it around, after about 10 years of being tethered to a huge desktop; I still enjoy and am amazed by the freedom of being able to walk about and surf the web... (Although I currently still use an old technology cell phone for phone calls only). Yet though the thought of a thinner lighterweight unit seems very appealing, I still need a fairly large screen. Having basically ignored this technology too long as I didn't need it, I suddenly realized I had no clear conception of what it all is. Actually, I assumed an Ipad was some form of an iphone. I thought kindles were basically only for reading books. Yikes. I really, really appreciate the information from you guys.

Edited to thank ravencajun; we cross posted. Streaming movies, too? How long do the batteries last, I assume it's like a laptop? Anything else to be aware of??

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    8 years ago

Battery life varies with the tablet, this one, same one I linked to, has very good life, I stay on it for hours. When I am not using it I just plug in the charger. The one big difference between a tablet and laptop, other than weight of course, is that a tablet doesn't have any fans and it doesn't get hot. Laptops should never be put on a lap or something soft because it blocks the fans and will overheat. None of that with a tablet. It really is very different. I have laptops and netbook and I have a bunch of tablets because I started with the very first ones that came out. Big differences between the first ones and the ones today. This octa core is blazing fast, most are only quad core which is why the big difference, this one has ips display with very high resolution which is important, it has a recent version of Android, some out there have much older version of Android that's something to look at. I am happy to help you with any questions, I have taught classes for many people who were new to tablets. Don't be afraid to ask! Everyone has to learn sometime.

Yes you can stream movies with the tablet and it has a mini hdmi port so you can plug it in to the hdmi port on your TV and watch what you see on the tablet on your TV. It also has blue tooth which allows you to connect wireless to blue tooth speakers or headphones, speakers on most tablets are not great, I have hearing problems so I use good headphones or my blue tooth speaker if I am doing something with sound.

Right now I am laying in bed doing this and reading till I feel sleepy. I can't imagine not having my tablets. I also have an Asus transformer with the attachable keyboard but I use this octa core the most. The Asus cost way more.

• Oakley
    8 years ago

You sound like me a few years ago! Without reading the replies yet, here's my story.

My computer (I have a laptop but I don't like them) is in a back room. I still use it, I'm on the computer now. So I broke down and called Apple and ordered an iPad 2 from them. You can buy one at an Apple store too. The lady guided me on what to buy and where I would use it. Easy peasy to order.

Ipads are the best. I know people with Androids who have a lousy time using them.

It's just like a computer, and easy to use. You can even reboot the iPad. I love game apps, many of them are free, and GOOD. It has a Kindle on the iPad where I subscribe to a magazine. I surf the net constantly, and do email. I can download books, but I prefer hard copies.

I take the iPad to bed and either read or play my games.

If I have to respond to a lot of emails that require more than a few sentences, I do it on my computer.

Yes, they're pricey but worth every penny. Let's put it this way, if there was a fire I'd grab my iPad first, and then my medicine. LOL.

One thing I like is if you can't figure out how to do something, just do a web search on the iPad and every question you have will be there.

gramarows thanked Oakley
  • writersblock (9b/10a)
    8 years ago

The ipad has much better battery life than the macbook or even a newer macbook pro.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    8 years ago

Oakley every single thing you said about your iPad I can say about my android tablet. I have friends that went from their iPad to Android and love it. All for very much less money. Apple lovers love apple products, Android people love Android. That's just how it works. Doesn't mean one is the BEST or not. I would pick an android every time over an Apple product. It is up to the individual to go try various devices and find what works for them. I can buy 3-4 excellent new Android tablets for the price of one new iPad. For someone trying out the new technology that makes a huge difference. I personally don't care what a person decides is for them but they should be presented with the factual information to help base their decision.

My niece has always had iPads, I bought her mother that android tablet for Christmas a year ago. Niece picked it up and started to poopoo it and brag on her iPad till she had used it for a while and said omg I didn't know you can do the same exact things that my iPad does well yes you can and it also does flash. All it took was to actually sit down and try it. She now owns a new Android tablet and her old iPad the kids use. Open mind...

• maddielee
    8 years ago

But Raven, you wrote that you have a bunch of tablets.

Why do you need 'a bunch'?

I had the original iPad and then upgraded to the iPad Air a few years ago. Two iPads may be a better value then 'a bunch' ??

• User
    8 years ago

Before I say anything I'm going to disclose that I'm a huge huge Apple fan for a variety of reasons but mainly because I think they are more user friendly and more intuitive to someone who may not be as tablet or smartphone savvy.

For example, I love how all my devices can be flawlessly synchronized with each other, how easy FaceTime and messenger are to use and how reliable all of their devices are.

The truth is that a lot of people don't use an Android because they are a better product, they use them because they are more affordable than Apple is. But if money was not an issue and someone with no tablet or smartphone experience had a chance to play with both devices before choosing, I believe the Apple products would be chosen a lot more often than Android. Why? Because they are easier to follow and more user friendly.

Years ago, the one thing that drew me to Apple originally more than anything was that they were more secure. For example, Apple has more control and a strict screening process with the app's offered in iTunes where as Android apps have no screening process at all and you really didn't know who's app you are downloading. And it's common knowledge that Apple products are still said to be less vulnerable to hacking.

We have two iPads, a Retina and an iPad Air 2, I've also had every phone release since the 4S and from the minute they are first turned on, the Apple devices always work flawlessly. On the other hand, at one point, my husband went with an Android, had nothing but problems with it. He hated it so much he ended up giving it to a friend who ended up ditching it as well.

Other than being cheaper, I'm sure there are positives about the Android's too, but I honestly couldn't say what they are because I've never had one to use for any length of time. I've played extensively with my husband's work phone though, it's a Samsung Galaxy and I'm just not impressed.

gramarows thanked User
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    8 years ago

I have a bunch because I have been using tablets since the very first tablet came out. Just like with the iPhone you want the latest version. So the very early ones I have that all still work fine are older versions. I am big into technology so my having multiples is not unusual. I have absolutely the money to buy whatever I prefer, I have had experience with iPad as well, I just don't prefer them, money aside. I also have multiple desktops, laptops and netbooks, it's my thing. Many here know that from my working on the various computer help forums. I enjoy technology. I work with it.

As I mentioned I personally don't care what a person chooses for themselves, what I try to do is make sure they understand the facts and that includes the fact that one can pretty much do what the other can do. I always suggest going to a store and play with every type.

• User
    8 years ago

Raven out of curiousity can I ask what makes you prefer the Android over Apple?

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    8 years ago

Much more flexibility and easy app usage, I can choose from a number of great keyboard options, it's extremely easy to customize it just how I want it, the use of multiple widgets, big is the full use of USB, Android has full open source of USB usage which allows easy file transfers to multiple devices, easy to add on storage by inserting a micro SD card and USB flash drives. It has a built-in file manager plus you can choose from a number of excellent ones from app store. Ability for multiple users. This means you can sign in to the device and get a new arrangement of apps based on what that user has purchased, which is great considering many tablets are tied to families rather than individuals. The use of NFC devices can share information with others near by, just a bump does it. It can come with an IR blaster pre loader so I can use it as a remote control for multiple devices. True multitasking, allowing 2 apps to run side by side, easy copy and paste etc. Tons of customization to choose from and multiple launchers. With an app like app lock you can lock specific apps not just the device. I have hdmi ports on the tablet which allows connection to other hdmi devices. And of course the ease of upgrades. I am sure there's others but I appreciate these things. I also like being able to view flash. And of course it's cheaper. I am an open source supporter, I have been using Linux for years, Android is a version of Linux.

• gramarows
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Everyone has been soooo helpful, with a special thanks to ravencajun! Without going back and rereading - no time right now- there was something mentioned upthread about virus susceptibility in non-apple tablets. How does everyone protect their tablet? With my mac laptop, I haven't had a problem so far; all my PC's in the past died horrible virus deaths. I hope others will also be able to learn more from all this great information. I know I'm feeling a lot less clueless!

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    8 years ago

Very few threats to Android or apple products but the rare bug happens. I have malwarebytes free app on my tablets just as I do on my windows computers, I also have a virus program, some people use them some don't there's multiple well known brands available free on the the Google play store. I have used several, all are sufficient. Currently I have Kaspersky, I have used avast and lookout security, no problem with any. There's lots of choices available. You just install and go. Windows uses executable files these are much more susceptible to viruses, Android being a version of Linux does not use executable files which makes it less apt to get infection. That's one of the reasons I started using Linux instead of Windows a long time ago. I do still have windows computers and all well protected with security products.

• rococogurl
    8 years ago

If you already have a mac laptop then I would go for an ipad. It's convenient to have those synched up vs 2 incompatible devices.

When new models are introduced the old ones fall in price. That may be your moment. I believe that happens in April.

For someone who is not tech savvy, the ipad is very easy to use. I use mine daily for all the tasks everyone has already discussed here plus a few more.

I don't read books on the ipad but I do everything else. The keyboard is large enough to let me type easily though for anything long I use my desktop.

The best feature, though, is using the ipad as live TV. It connects to my WiFi so if I want to prop it up on my desk and watch the news in the morning I can-- with or without headphones. Sometimes at night DH wants to watch a different show than I do. I plug in my headphones and watch it right on the sofa next to him.

Ipad also has replaced the TV when I do cardio. I can put it right up on the elliptical machine and watch live tv or anything from Netflix or Showtime.

I use it for hours to play Words with Friends and Scrabble. I use it to make bank deposits as well.

Everyone seems to have different uses as it can do so many different things from music to science to art.

It is my most used device. More than my phone. I bought it on a whim so I wouldn't have to shlep the heavy laptop when we travel and so I could have a wireless internet without looking for hot spots. It has far surpassed that use.

For years I was a diehard PC/android person. I still have a PC laptop and desktop. But we've both converted to Mac products (like the kids kept saying we should) due to the ease, the service, the features and the quality of the screens. I find the macs to be easier on my eyes.

No matter which tablet you choose, I'd be surprised if you don't love it. It goes everywhere and it's great to own.

gramarows thanked rococogurl
  • User
    8 years ago

Thanks Raven, I very much appreciate the response and have bookmarked it for future reference. :c)

• gramarows
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It is my most used device. More than my phone. I bought it on a whim so I wouldn't have to shlep the heavy laptop when we travel and so I could have a wireless internet without looking for hot spots. It has far surpassed that use.

Rococgurl, how do access the internet when traveling without using hotspots?

• rosesstink
    8 years ago

IMO if you have a tablet you should buy a data plan for it. I don't know how many times we have been in locations where there was no wifi signal but I could get 3g (4g now) on my iPad. We have often relied on my iPad rather than our MacBooks during those times. In fact we watched a stream of my niece getting married in Las Vegas on my iPad while in a fairly remote area of the Adirondacks. I was on the phone during the ceremony with a brother who did have (lowish signal) wifi on his laptop and his signal was buffering constantly while mine was totally smooth. I don't need a lot of data so the plan is pretty cheap and can be bundled with your phones to make it even cheaper. I don't use the iPad much at home but when traveling it is great.

• rococogurl
    8 years ago

ipads come with and without wireless. When we traveled some hotels cost $9-15 for internet for 24 hours. It costs $10 a month on my wireless plan. Its also back up internet when the power goes out that way. Mainly I use it on wifi vs wireless. But wireless is there when I need it and once or twice when I exceeded my small monthly plan I could buy extra in $10 chunks.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    8 years ago

Just to clarify: all ipads are wireless and can connect to wifi networks. They come with and without the option for the kind of data connection you have with a smartphone. iPads with cellular data capability are more expensive than the plain wifi models, in addition to the cost of the data plan.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    8 years ago

I travel a lot in the rv so I need to have reliable wifi wherever I am. Our choice was to get a mobile wifi unit through att which shares our data plan we have been exceptionally happy with it. I could always simply teather my tablet to my cell phone using it as a Hotspot however going with the dedicated wifi device provides much faster and reliable connections and we can connect multiple devices to it. The device, att unite, was free I had to add it to my existing att cell phone account, it actually has it's own phone number. I carry in my purse any time we are going somewhere there may not be free WiFi. I basically never have to search for or depend on hotspots, plus I know I have a very secure connection unlike many hotspots. I could use my tablet as mentioned but I prefer a dedicated device that can be used with multiple devices and anywhere, I can connect several things to it so we all can use our tablets, phones on wifi, and connect wirelessly to my smart TV and blue ray player, easy streaming if I want to. This is the one I have, I think they have a newer model now.

Att unite

• homepro01
    8 years ago

You have several options:

1. Get an ipad with built in LTE
    2. Have a phone with LTE capabilities already and use this as hotspot

I personally have an iPad with built in LTE/4G. It works wonderfully. In reality, you can make your smartphone a hotspot and share the mobile signal when you are in an area where wifi is not available. Although the iPad with LTE is about $100 more expensive than the same iPad without, the cell providers like AT&T make it just as expensive to use your smart phone as a hotspot as to activate the LTE service on your ipad. If you want two units that allow you to browse the internet anywhere, get an iPad with LTE. You should be able to add service to the unit from the cell phone carrier that you only pay for when you use it. Mine is part of the mobile share plan for my cell phone so apart from the activation fee, it does not cost me more to use. The iPad with LTE does have an addition functionality which is the upgraded GPS capability so that you can use it as a GPS more accurately.

Regarding Android versus Apple, Android is more susceptible to virus because of its open source nature and the fact its Android app store is more prevalent. There are more android users than apple users. Having said that, I think you should go to a best buy or somewhere like that where you can look at both machines and determine which ones work for you. Usability is a huge factor for me. Let money be a secondary consideration. I agree with Rococogurl about the future compatibility of the tablet you pick. Androids don't update much of the Operating System where Apple products are compatible, based on previous history, for about 4 major releases of the OS. This translates to about 3years of support on the existing hardware.

I work in IT and implement technologies that use both Android and Apple ecosystems.

Good luck!