SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19760412

Quotes 12 - 12 - 15

User
8 years ago

The white men told lies for each other. They drove off a great many of our cattle. Some branded our young cattle so they could claim them.
Chief Joseph

If the white man wants to live in peace with the Indian he can live in peace.
Chief Joseph

I would have given my own life if I could have undone the killing of white men by my people.
Chief Joseph

Our people could not talk with these white-faced men, but they used signs which all people understand.
Chief Joseph

The first white men of your people who came to our country were named Lewis and Clark. They brought many things that our people had never seen. They talked straight. These men were very kind.
Chief Joseph

General Howard informed me, in a haughty spirit, that he would give my people 30 days to go back home, collect all their stock, and move onto the reservation.
Chief Joseph

Governor Isaac Stevens of the Washington Territory said there were a great many white people in our country, and many more would come; that he wanted the land marked out so that the Indians and the white man could be separated.
Chief Joseph

Lawyer acted without authority from our band. He had no right to sell the Wallowa country.
Chief Joseph

We gathered all the stock we could find, and made an attempt to move. We left many of our horses and cattle in Wallowa. We lost several hundred in crossing the river.
Chief Joseph

I labored hard to avoid trouble and bloodshed.
Chief Joseph

It required a strong heart to stand up against such talk, but I urged my people to be quiet and not to begin a war.
Chief Joseph

I would give up everything rather than have the blood of white men upon the hands of my people.
Chief Joseph

The Indian race are waiting and praying.
Chief Joseph

Words do not pay for my dead people.
Chief Joseph

I cannot tell how much my heart suffered for my people while at Leavenworth.
Chief Joseph

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus
More Discussions