SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
insectking01

Anybody here experienced with Monarch diseases?

insectking01
8 years ago

Hello fellow gardeners,

It's winter here in Florida, but the Monarchs still seem to live on. I have been watching a chrysalis for quite some time, now. Sinice we are in the South, the butterflies usually emerge rather quickly. This one did, however, it has been dark colored for two days. I checked the chrysalis to make sure it wasn't infected, and it wasn't. I took it inside and noticed cracks on it. I opened the Chrysalis carefully and the butterfly was fully developed! However it didn't move anything except for its proboscis. I left it semi-pupated.

The butterfly was very much alive, but seemed like it couldn't get out. I decided to leave it alone, but I did feed him/her. Then, the day ended.

I don't remember if it was alive on the next morning, but I came back from school to find a green liquid that seemed to have oozed from its anus.

I looked up for a possibility for any disease, and the only one I could find was an infection from the protist OE. I heard that the spores were detectable via microscope, so I decided to do just that.

I came up with some Rube Goldberg method of seeing it in a microscope, but I didn't see any OE spores after taking many scale samples. I happened to have a preserved Monarch butterfly from many years ago. I decided to look at the scales from that butterfly, and...strangely...that butterfly had the spores! So I knew I wasn't doing anything wrong.

This just made matters confusing. It is confirmed that there are no OE spores in the poorly emerged butterfly (I took samples from the same area, too), but, nonetheless something happened to it.

So I ask: what other diseases causes a monarch butterfly to emerge improperly, ooze a green liquid afterwards (I am aware that newly emerged lepidopterans will excrete, but this green substance didn't look like it), and become nearly unable to move?

TL;DR Butterfly emerged improperly, oozed green liquid from anus while still improperly pupated, and can't move much. I checked to see if it had OE disease and it doesn't. What caused this?

Comments (2)

Sponsored