SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
butterflymomok

Monarch woes--need help

butterflymomok
13 years ago

I have had Monarchs in my yard since early June. For this I am grateful. However, trying to raise healthy Monarchs has been a challenge. I don't think I remember a year this bad in the last 30 years. I've dealt with Black Death, and OE, but what I'm dealing with now is baffling.

I collect eggs every year and bring them in to raise. This year I have collected several hundred eggs. I've probably only released about 100 or so healthy butterflies. I know I should have been keeping track, but normally, I don't do that. I bring in the eggs, they hatch, grow, pupate, eclose, and I release them. This year, I've brought in the eggs, they may hatch, they grow to about the 3rd or 4th instar, they become sluggish, stop eating, wither and die. I've sterilized all equipment over and over, changed food/type of milkweed, watched humidity, etc. Only a few are making it to pupation. I've researched for answers. Not much out there concerning this phenomenom, just that it's documented. I know it can happen to other butterflies, as I've experienced it with Black Swallowtails and Pipevine Swallowtails before. But never on such a scale. I'm almost afraid to bring in the eggs. And, there are teachers counting on me for livestock for their classrooms. I won't be sharing until I can guarantee healthy caterpillars. I don't want to disappoint kids in classrooms. I've given cats to other people to raise, and they have died also.

Anyone out there with insight into this problem--I'm open. I'm beginning to think that there is something effecting certain butterflies that is harbored in the eggs.

Sandy

Comments (7)

Sponsored