SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cherisejvraus

Need help with parents and brother (long)

cherisejvraus
8 years ago

Hi! So I am an 18 year old girl. I turned 18 in June. I consider myself, as well as am considered by others, to be quite mature for my age. I have no trouble at all abiding by my parents' rules.
So that's just a bit of a forethought.

My problem is overbearing parents and my 24 year old brother who treats the house like a hotel and I am fed up with dealing with him and my parents not trusting me, even though I have not done anything for them not to. I've always done what they've asked, when they've asked. I do not mind doing my own housework and taking care of my responsibilities, which are as follows:

1. Wash the dishes and clean the kitchen

2. Clean the cat's sand box and food bowls, as well as feed him, when needed (my cat, my responsibility. No issue)

3. Clean up after myself (again, not a problem)

4. Pay for petrol for the car my brother and I share

I do not do my own laundry as my mother has said "I do it anyway, so don't worry about it"
Usually I will tidy up etc. a little more than I am expected as I cannot pay rent due to earning very little while trying to save, but feels as though I should 'pay rent' in a different way such as this. Then I do what I want in the house (play video games, mainly)
I would like to go out with my friends without (mainly my mother) being guilt tripped or feeling like I cannot be trusted out with my friends. I feel like I am stuck in a little box. I try to prove my responsibility by abiding by their rules and doing what they ask. Whenever I want to go out, I have to take my brother with me, which is getting frustrating as I would like to get away from him. Right now, I am allowed to go to the local shops (they're tiny really) with my friends. I am allowed to drink as I live in Australia and my parents allow it in their house. I drink responsibly when I drink at all, and would like to go to bars with my friends. I would like to talk to my parents about it, but I am too scared to bring it up, as I feel like nothing will be resolved.

Now for my brother.
He is 24 years old, has had to finish a 4 year degree at university in 6 years due to, bluntly, laziness, and does not do anything around the house. He is irresponsible, as well as reckless on his motorcycle which does not help my cause as I would also like to have one to ride on road. (I've grown up with the things my entire life, but my mother is worried understandably). He treats the house like a hotel and does not put stuff away when he is finished with it, does not do his ONE SINGLE CHORE of unpacking and repacking the dishwasher, does not respect my wishes regarding my gaming consoles and brushes it off, and always seems to disappear on Saturdays when we clean the house and return when we are done. Quite simply, I am fed up with picking up his responsibilities so that my parents don't come home to a dirty house. He no longer tells them where he is going, how long he'll be or if he'll be home for dinner. He has a job and constantly complains that he wants to move out. He cannot now afford to move out because of his brand new $19,000 motorcycle he bought without actually saving so he can move out, that he has crashed twice within the last 6 months. The bikes is 9 months old, barely. I cannot believe I am more responsible than him and I am tired of cleaning up after him and hearing my parents complain, yet do nothing about it. I want him out. How do I bring this up with my parents also? When I do, they say "we've talked to him multiple times but it does nothing. Maybe he will listen to you". My brother and I are quite close and I love him to death, but I cannot live with him any more or afford to move out. What should I do? Thank you for your help and patience as this may also seem like a bit of a rant. I apologise for that but I am at my wits end. Thank you.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living