SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tiffany_reusser

Donkey tail propagation from leaves

Tiffany Reusser
8 years ago

Has anyone had success with propagating donkey tail leaves? I've attempted three in the past and each time, the roots are super tiny or nearly non-existent despite how swiftly the bubble leaves grow. Thus, the mother leaf dries out before a better root system develops and the growing stops all together (but doesn't die).

I have two more leaves in the process of growing at the moment. Both have a couple small leaves forming and one has a small root forming. I'm afraid they'll end up like their predecessors.

My process is to lie them on top of a thin layer of dirt (definitely less than one-inch thick) and I give my leaves a drizzle of water every other day. My current donkey tail leaves are under grow lights (6500K, 2800 lumens CFL bulb) in front of a Southern-facing window, so I'm hoping that helps (previously done without grow lights during the summer in a Southern-facing window). They are nearly directly under the light, 6-8" away. I have some sedums and graptoveria/petalum leaves growing like this, and they are thriving.

Are donkey tails more finicky? Would watering it less encourage the roots to grow longer?

I can post pictures later, if that helps. Currently posting while away from home.

Comments (10)