Arm Pain at night

edlincoln

My significant other's mother is experiencing arm pain at night that wakes her up. It is in both arms and she is fine during the day. Getting up seems to fix it temporarily. They ruled out heart attacks as a cause. There is a theory it is caused by a UTI and a theory it is caused by GERD. Any ideas on what it is and what to do about it?

SaveComment10Like
Comments (10)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sushipup1

Perhaps muscle cramps?

1 Like Save    
CA Kate z9

However she sleeps may be irritating the nerves to her arms. You might want to investigate that and try a different: pillow; sleeping position; even her mattress. You might also try massaging her neck and shoulder muscles before she goes to bed.

1 Like Save    
sunnyca_gw

Both arms involved probably something going on in upper spine unless she is sleeping with both arms above her head, might try hot packs 4 times a day to see if that helps or heating pad 1st on 1 shoulder then the other. I have some luck with that.

1 Like Save    
lilacinjust

Does she have rheumatoid arthritis?

Save    
edlincoln

She has not been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. She says it's not in the joints. She says it is in her upper arm and her forearm.

Save    
lilacinjust

Thanks- I was thinking about rotator cuff tears angle with the RA question. Since it's bilateral, it might be coming from her cervical spine. She could visit an orthopedist or neurologist or even a rheumatologist to help sort out whether or not it's related to something going on in the neck.

Save    
winker58

I had those symptoms and it was the radial nerve being pinched. Physical therapy and instructions on not sleeping with my shoulder pulled up toward my ear but to keep my shoulders down and not shrugged either during the day or while sleeping, thus openong up the area between the neck and shoulder area. The night pain got quite bad and felt like something had a tight grip around my forearm and bicep area.

1 Like Save     Thanked by edlincoln
sunnyca_gw

My brother has rotator cuff problem & his dr. said it isn't just the shoulder, I was telling him I discovered a very sore spot on my back(I use a Homedics Shatisu massage or rolling back massager- has heat too. So I happened to turn to get something & hit the sore spot I have 1 on both sides, right arm damage from carrying heavy purse for years. Left arm I think nerve damage from moving something last Christmas & then my arm would go limp after sharp pain went down from shoulder to middle finger. I couldn't pick up anything, arm just hung. Didn't go to dr. as they always have to "feel all up & down" & then it takes so much longer to recover, had several incidents over the years like that. (with knees, groin , not arm) & because it would get better in 2 days of not doing much of anything Shatisu with heat carefully on it , then I found putting a kids knee pad on my upper arm(don't cut off circulation tho) using large heating pad that goes over shoulder & gets spot in back too(oh, it's above bra close to armpit) & using care to pick up all the falling leaves now as ours fall in DEC. mostly, I'm doing better. Using a hand mixer to beat eggs for my pumpkin pies today hurt but with my marble rolling pin(super heavy) I managed to roll out piecrusts & arm is not so sore I won't be able to sleep tonight. Trick is to use these helps daily & several times a day if I can & use care in doing anything with that arm. It hasn't gone limp now for at least a month, older I get longer it takes to heal probably.

Save    
sunnyca_gw

Forgot to tell you what bro. said dr. told him, rotator cuff involves a whole set of muscles & yes sore back on your back & upper arm & involves nerves so big thing is to prevent making it worse & care in what you do so it doesn't get bad again. I can't pick up anything with left arm heavier than a 12 oz mug. Half gal of milk starts pain second I try to lift. Some movements make it worse, reaching up & out in front of me, so do that with other hand. Hope this helps someone!

Save    
happyhelenr

Hi sunnyca_gw....... have a look at the website link below ... you (and others here) may find these products helpful. I can't not post this as it may provide some relief and perhaps some healing too :)

http://kingbrand.com/Rotator_Cuff_Treatment.php?REF=1094PV5.391

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
DIY Projects Light Up Your Night With an Easy Outdoor Table Lamp
Hit up Goodwill and the hardware store to make this lamp for a deck or poolside patio in minutes
Full Story
Bedrooms The Right Mattress: The Secret to a Great Night’s Sleep
We spend a third of our lives asleep, so investing in a quality mattress is essential. Check out this expert advice to help you choose yours
Full Story
Furniture Know Your Sofa Options: Arms, Cushions, Backs and Bases
Get your sock arm straight from your track arm — along with everything else — to choose the sofa that’s right for you
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
We strive daily to continually make ourselves better, because we realize that our name, image and performance is... Read More