SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alexh1000

Large 5'x5' window replacement

alexh1000
8 years ago

Hi,

I'm replacing my south facing aluminum windows to reduce solar gain and noise. I put in a Pella Architect hinged patio door so far. I have another 5'x5' window above the kitchen sink. It's currently a sliding window. I prefer an aluminum clad wood window.

Marvin makes sliding windows in wood but it was quoted at $1500. That might be OK but I have 3 other single/double hung windows to replace and I can't really do Marvin for all 4 windows (>$5k). Can't really do casement or awning because would like to have a screen.

Is there any issue with doing a single or double hung window in this size?

Another thing I was wondering about - For some of the ground floor windows in our house we never really open them since the patio door provides needed ventilation. So I wondered why not install fixed windows, probably cheaper and better sealing. Is this not advised for reasons of home resale if nothing else?

I know I can ask the sales person but believe me the ones I deal with for both pella and marvin really know almost nothing. I had some simple questions on the Pella door and they didn't even understand the question. So I called the main Pella office and they immediately new what I what asking. I suggest unless your salesperson is also an installer, call the main office for tech help or advice.

Thanks

Comments (3)