SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stacey_mb

Recipe for brownies

stacey_mb
8 years ago

I have also posted this request on the Cooking forum. I am putting together a tray of assorted small cakes/cookies for a
party. I would like to include brownies too and would appreciate hearing from anyone with a favorite recipe they can share. My cookbooks include standard brownies, but I'm looking for something that might be a bit different. I prefer a no-nuts
recipe to balance the other goodies.

Comments (17)

• plllog
    8 years ago

There are three or four basic kinds of brownies: Cocoa, chocolate, milk chocolate and fudge. There are also blondies in a few flavors I know of such as butterscotch, brown sugar, and toffee, and, I'm sure, may others. There are also all kinds of bar cookies which are similar to brownies in texture from lemon to coconut to raspberry.

Tell us what kind of "different" you're looking for and it'll help us find a recipe for you.

stacey_mb thanked plllog
  • glenda_al
    8 years ago

This is something I always get raves over. Made it for Thanksgiving as a take home treat. This is my version as it works perfect for me. Last time I made it I put it on parchment paper on the cookie sheet. Sprayed the bottom of parchment to keep it from moving around on the pan.

Know it's not what you are asking for , but I'm sharing cause it's a favorite.

Brownie Brittle

Buy a pkg of chocolate brownie mix, 10 oz size. I buy Marie
    Callender's, from Dollar Tree, but Betty Crocker has one at Wall
    Mart.

Add to the mix, 1 egg, 1/4 cup water, 1/4 cup
    oil.

Spray a cookie sheet, the one I use is 15 x 10.

Spread the batter thinly all over the cookie sheet and
    evenly. I use a spatula.

Then with fingers, take chocolate morsels and sprinkle about
    1/2 cup or more over the batter.

Bake 325 for 30 minutes.

Turn oven off and let sit inside oven for 30 more
    minutes.

Brownies will be hard.

Let them cool completely, and make sure the chocolate morsels
    are cooled and hard.

Lift up at one end with a fork, and break into
    pieces.

Store in an airtight container.

Eat and enjoy!

stacey_mb thanked glenda_al
  • Related Discussions

RECIPE: Brownie Peanut Butter Cookies

Q

Comments (2)
    My boys would gobble those up! Thanks for posting it. I'd gobble them too..but I try to be good...............TRY..... my favorite indulgence lately is Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups made by Paul Newman...OMGoodness..heaven in 6 bites!
    ...See More

RECIPE: Toffee Pecan Brownies

Q

Comments (2)
    Well, OF COURSE they are good-they have whipping cream in them!! So, that being the case, I will print out the recipe and need to make some cookies for our Rose Society meeting this week and this just might work! Thanks. RL`
    ...See More

OMG Brownies!!

Q

Comments (9)
    I made these brownies on Saturday for our Symphony picnic in the park. Boy were they a hit! I did brush the tops with Kahlúa as the recipe suggested, and I have to say I think that is the perfect touch. With three eggs and 40 minutes in the oven, I was figuring on these coming out cakey (which is ok, not my favorite but I figured the flavor would make up for the texture). But WOW they came out oh-so-yummy-fudgy. This is definitely a keeper. I wonder if making it with another liqueur would work as well.... I was thinking of trying it with ameretto. Thanks for posting this khandi!
    ...See More

RECIPE: Toffee Brownies

Q

Comments (3)
    I made these for the second time last night. I was hooked after a guest brought them here on New Year's Day. Here's my recomendation: Ghirardhelli double chocolate brownie mix (smaller package) 2 Symphony toffee bars (I only use 1 3/4 bars) Make the mix as directed. Use an 8x8 pan lined with GREASED tin foil, pour in 1/2 of the mix, place a single layer of candy bar covering the top, pour in the rest of the mix, spread it to the sides and corners and bake at 325 for about 50 minutes. I love chewy brownies, but this is one recipe that works when they're cooked a bit more. Cool and if possible refrigerate. Then cut and serve. I cut into smaller portions as it's a sweet recipe, but such a winner and such praise when it's served! I'm so not a nut person, but you'll never know that they're there in this recipe. I wouldn't use the mix with nuts included.
    ...See More
  • Sue_va
    8 years ago

This one is a little different. I've made them many times.

Mocha Saucepan Brownies

½ cup Oleo
    1½ squares chocolate
    1 cup sugar
    1 tsp vanilla
    2/3 cup flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 Tbsp instant coffee
    ¼ tsp salt
    2 eggs well beaten
    ½ cup chopped nuts

Melt oleo and chocolate in saucepan over low heat. Cool. Blend sugar and vanilla. Sift dry ingredients together and blend with sugar mixture. Add eggs and beat well. Add chocolate mixture. Add nuts. Bake in greased 8x8x2 pan at 350 for 30-35 minutes. Cool.

Frosting

1 sq. chocolate
    1 Tbsp oleo
    1 Tbsp milk
    1 cup 10X sugar

Melt chocolate and oleo. Stir in milk. Blend in sugar and vanilla until smooth and shiny. Cool. Cut.

*Leave out the nuts if you don't want them, and Frost or not.

stacey_mb thanked Sue_va
  • stacey_mb
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Many thanks for the recipes. I'm looking for chocolate brownies and these all sound yummy. If anyone else has ideas, I'd appreciate hearing them. This would also make an excellent baking project with granddaughters who love brownies.

• plllog
    8 years ago

Well, there's accidental brownies. That's when you make the standard Toll House chocolate chip cookie recipe (the old one with the spoon of water in it (chewier rather than crisper), and stir well about halfway through cooking. It tastes a bit different with the brown sugar and melted semi-sweet.

stacey_mb thanked plllog
  • pattico_gw
    8 years ago

Oh...I see you have quite a few already....but I'm going to add mine too.

I got mine years ago from a cousin of mine.

a few years ago I made a batch and took them to a Christmas gathering.

My cousin ate one of them and thought they were great....she ask for the recipe....lol

I looked at her and started laughing.....said "Deb....that's your recipe...you gave it to me a long time ago."

I call it Deb's Chewy Brownies

1 cup butter

3/4 cup cocoa

4 eggs

2 cups sugar

1 cup flour

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 cup nuts (opt)

9x13 pan sprayed

350 degrees Bake exactly 30 mins

I frost mine with creamy white frosting (from a can)

and use sprinkles (soft kind) they are not needed but my grandkids love them

stacey_mb thanked pattico_gw
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

The most special brownies ever! It's from Food and Wine.

Quadruple Chocolate Brownies

Inspired by aromatic spices like sesame and pink peppercorn, and herbs like tarragon, San Francisco chocolatier Michael Recchiuti of Recchiuti Confections searches local farmers' markets for the absolute freshest ingredients. Beyond truffles, Recchiuti creates all kinds of fun, homey chocolate desserts (like s'mores), the recipes for which appear in his stunning cookbook, Chocolate Obsession. However, he didn't choose to share the recipe for his four-chocolate brownies--until now. By swirling chunks of white, milk and bittersweet chocolate into a batter made with unsweetened chocolate, then melting and drizzling more all over the top, Recchiuti says this sweet has "all the chocolates I like in one brownie."

Total Time: 1 HR 30 MIN

• Servings: makes 4 dozen 2-inch brownies

Ingredients

• 1 1/4 pounds (5 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
    • 1 pound unsweetened chocolate, chopped
    • 5 1/2 cups sugar
    • 16 large eggs
    • 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
    • 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
    • 1/2 pound bittersweet chocolate, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
    • 1/2 pound white chocolate, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
    • 1/2 pound milk chocolate, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces

Instructions

1. Preheat the oven to 300°. Line the bottoms of two 9-by-13-inch baking pans with parchment paper. In a large saucepan, melt the butter with the unsweetened chocolate over low heat, stirring frequently, until melted. In a large bowl, whisk the sugar with the eggs, vanilla and salt. Add the melted chocolate and whisk until smooth. Add the flour and whisk until incorporated. Stir in 5 ounces of each of the chopped chocolates. Spread the batter in the prepared pans.
    2. Place the remaining chopped chocolates separately in 3 small microwave-safe bowls and melt. Using a spoon, drizzle the melted chocolates over the batter. Using a table knife, make swirls in the batter for a marbled effect. Bake the brownies for about 35 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through, until the tops are shiny and the brownies are set.
    3. Transfer the brownies to a wire rack to cool completely before cutting into squares.

Contributed By Michael Recchiuti Photo © Hans Gissinger Published December 2005

stacey_mb thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • Jasdip
    8 years ago

Stacey, these are my go-to brownies. So easy to make and so good! I do put walnuts in, but you can leave them out.

Here is the linky..........Brownies

Bittersweet Cocoa Brownies (Fine Cooking)

2-1/4 oz. (3/4 cup) unsweetened cocoa powder

• 1-1/3 cups granulated sugar
    • 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
    • 1/4 tsp. table salt
    • 5 oz. (10 Tbs.) hot melted unsalted butter
    • 2 cold large eggs
    • 1-1/2 oz. (1/3 cup) all-purpose flour
    • 1 cup broken walnut or pecan pieces (optional)

Heat the oven to 325°F. Line an 8x8-inch baking pan (preferably metal) with foil across the bottom and up two opposite sides of the pan.

In a medium bowl, thoroughly mix the cocoa, sugar, vanilla, salt, and hot melted butter with a hand mixer or with vigorous strokes of a whisk. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until the batter is thick and lightened in color, 1 to 2 min. Add the flour and stir with a rubber spatula just until blended. Fold in the nuts, if using. Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan and bake until the top is puffed and slightly crusted and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a little fudge batter clinging to it, 28 to 30 min.

Let the brownies cool completely in the pan on a rack. Lift the ends of the foil to remove them. Invert the brownies on a tray and peel off the foil. Turn the brownies right side up on a cutting board and cut into squares (wipe the knife between each cut, as the brownies will be soft and sticky).

stacey_mb thanked Jasdip
  • kayjones
    8 years ago

When I want great brownies, I go to Walmart bakery and buy their brownie bites - everyone loves them - moist, chewy and just plain wonderful!

stacey_mb thanked kayjones
  • threejs
    8 years ago

Any plain brownie recipe and just as soon as they are cooked put small marshmallows on the top..you can brown under the broiler and when cooled melt chocolate chips and pour over the top. It depends on what you like either drizzle it leaving some marshmallow showing or ice/frost with a creamy icing. Another favorite is putting mint patties or sticks on the top as soon as it comes out of the oven...swirl the melted chocolate and mint with a spoon back and then repeating the above method for the top. Let both cool well before cutting.

stacey_mb thanked threejs
  • rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    8 years ago

Sue, I haven't heard the term oleo since I was a little girl! Brings back memories.

I presume that butter can be used for brownie recipes calling for oleo or margerine?

• marilyn_c
    8 years ago

I haven't made these but I pinned this recipe last night on Pinterest and will make them. They have candy cane frosting.

Fudge brpwnies with candy cane frosting

stacey_mb thanked marilyn_c
  • Sue_va
    8 years ago

rhizo, I see you caught that; I wondered if someone would. ;) I debated about using that term here but decided to, just to see if anyone might wonder about it. I got that recipe from my DGS's other DGM eons ago. I haven't bought real butter for ages. Nobody seems to notice. I always use Blue Bonnet.

• Olychick
    8 years ago

In the 1970's I got a call from one of my friends, also in her early 20's, who had moved to a very rural area and was a very inexperienced cook. She was using a local (church group maybe) cookbook to make something, which I don't remember. She called and said, "I just can't find oleo here! I looked in the local store, I drove to the next town and looked in their store and I couldn't find anything called oleo there either. Maybe I'll have to wait to go to the city to find it?" We had a good laugh when I explained that she was looking for oleomargarine, but the box likely just would say 'margarine.'

• Chi
    8 years ago

I always used to make homemade brownies but now I love the Ghiradelli mix. It's the only baking mix I use and it's delicious and much easier and cheaper than homemade!

stacey_mb thanked Chi
  • stacey_mb
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you so much to everyone for all the recipes/brownie suggestions. Lots of choices now for my dessert tray!

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor