SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lavendar

Does anyone have a 20' x 20' rose garden?

Lavender Lass
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

We have about this much space (maybe slightly less) for my mom and I to put in a new rose garden. We have roses in the other areas....but this will have more of a traditional feel.

She has a big white lattice arch and some white vinyl lattice fencing, along with a nice white bench. We want to have a few paths and mainly OGRs, with some fragrant perennials and herbs mixed in. Maybe a few annuals.

Any ideas? We have two sheds on one side, where we plan to put up some taller, wooden lattice. Adjacent to that (making a 90 degree angle) is a large hedge of lilacs (about 12' high). The other two sides of the garden will have the white fencing and arch.

Would love ideas, pictures, etc. Mainly of garden layout ideas or rose combinations you have. We are zone 4/probably more like zone 5 in this area, with the protection from the lilacs and the sheds. The house is about 20' away from the garden, so really fairly protected on three sides. Still plenty of light for all but the corner by the sheds. Garden faces east and some northwest, but we need protection from the hot summer sun.

Also...roses do surprisingly well in this area, despite the cold. If we can keep them out of the wind, they have lots of water, rich clay, much aged horse manure and not too humid in the summer, but a little humidity at night.

While our zones might be quite different, I'm hoping many of the landscaping ideas will be similar. We really want a charming, slightly Victorian feel to the garden. Thanks in advance! :)

ETA: The arch looks like this one....and we have two Zephrine Drouhin roses mom brought from her house to put on either side of the arch, and running along the white lattice fence.

Comments (28)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!