SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chimacalgal

Where to start? Laminate countertops, backsplash, sink, etc.

8 years ago

I've posted long ago about plans for replacing our ugly formica kitchen counters. We are finally ready to start for real but wonder where to start. The formica runs up the wall as a backsplash--something we had never seen before. It looks to be glued on so tight, it will probably destroy the wall behind in removing it. When we've looked at countertops and told them about the backsplash, they always tell us to worry about removing that later--but we'd like to know what we're in for up front instead of later.

We know we want Wilsonart Bella Capri counters (I just really like it and it goes perfectly with our cabinets). Haven't decided on a backsplash and we get overwhelmed when looking. Would like something simple. Kinda like the one below--without those strips of smaller tiles. Our cabinets are this color so the tiles would look good--but not sure if they'd clash with the Bella Capri.

I know I"m kind of rambling here. The thing is Home Depot will install the counters but are not very helpful about a backsplash. We've been to some local tile places but they are super expensive (and some are a bit snooty--I'd be a little embarrassed to go with a sample of laminate). Wish we could find a place that would help us with both--understanding that we want to keep the price down.

And as for a sink: I did always want an undermount, but don't really like how they look with laminate. Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced sink that would at least have a very low edge? I like those that have the low center divider, but we don't want to buy a sink that costs as much as the counters.

How do you coordinate the plumber, countertop installer, backsplash installer, and maybe electrician? Babes in the woods here.

Granite · More Info

Comments (10)