SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennbeez

Help - Cleared land

jennbeez
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi - my first post! I've so enjoyed and relied on the gardening forum.

While a bulldozer was onsite and working on our septic - I went for it and cleared an area of dead sumac trees. I planted a portion of the vicinity successfully with wildflowers last Spring - unfortunately most of the perennials have been dug up / pushed around by the heavy equipment.

What stands now is a large space with deep tire tracks. I've begun smoothing the soil by hand. I have no tractor or box blade and no $ left to do anything much by way of leveling.

My plan is to plant a willow tree (back left open corner), then alternating native bushes (red berries in fall I believe Winterberry) and spicebush in the background. The majority of the area will be wildflowers. In the foreground in the shady area uphill are some rhododendron and I will also transplant some tiny struggling bushes.

Finally to the big question -

Should I plant something like hairy vetch as groundcover in the expanse that has been cleared? My goal is to loosen the soil, detract the deer from the wildflower garden, and to rid the area of a pretty but invasive grass (Japanese Stiltgrass). Then, I can spend time leveling the area at a leisurely pace and expand the wildflower meadow.

Thank you!!

Comments (6)