SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
josephines67

2015 Top Gun Hosta

josephines167 z5 ON Canada
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

It is that time of year again when I seek out nominations of your top gun hosta for this year. (Thank you for the reminder, Delaware Donna!;-))

For those new to this forum, here is a link to last year's thread... 2014 top gun Hosta.

Here is the ..2013 Top Gun Hosta

Let the contest begin!

Comments (113)

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    Original Author
    8 years ago

A few more that I don't have that join the contender list are:

1. Journey's End
    2. Key Lime Pie
    3. Gold Standard
    4. Emerald Ruff Cut
    5. Proud Sentry

These additional entries definitely have a Top Gun look!

Laurie, another gorgeous hosta you have in ERC! Wow.

I have all but Gold Standard, MK! Enjoyed the trio shot! We sure do have a lot of the same hostas!:-)

BC, that photo of DQ against the dark background really shows off its attributes! Your Proud Sentry is certainly worthy for all the reasons you mentioned. Love the "fountain-like" shape - and how the petioles gain colour intensity as the season progresses...from a pinky/peach to dark cranberry... A really stunning hosta and I agree - it is regal looking.

Hmmmm, the short list is forming....;-)

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    8 years ago

Josephine, I am surprised that you do not have a Gold Standard. It's an oldie but a real goodie. It grows like a weed and is a great hosts. I have many and have divided them for myself and others. A favorite

josephines167 z5 ON Canada thanked sunnywood4bChazyNY
  • Related Discussions

Finally have my Top Gun Winner! Plus, plus, plus...

Q

Comments (44)
    Paula sweetie, your link really busted my allowance wide open. Only a few pennies left of it. That link has some serious miniature garden toys. Among other things I ordered the bistro table and chair set in white....now I must paint OUR REAL set white or offwhite. And I got the chicken coop with chickens...don't you know my DH mentioned building such a coop and getting about 3 little egglayers tonight? It was meant to be! Then the garden bench and chair and the arbor and the wagon like the one I have really, and the martin house and the bee skep (for Quilting Bee Hosta) The watering can and the garden tools and the galvanized tub ..... it is hard to stop once you get started. I can see these adding a lot of eye level appeal to otherwise plain plantings of multiple hosta or fern etc in bowls or tubs. This kicks it up a notch from simple pot feet! Is there a contest for Miniature Gardens? I am enchanted by the bistro table with the gazebo or arbor. Jo, you can make one as beautiful as that 200+ $$dollar one. Very exciting to think of a couple of the tubs set up. However, I know this is not my main passion. It is a great diversion adding variety to the garden experience.
    ...See More

2015 Hostas - Pic Heavy (...2...continued)

Q

Comments (8)
    I was just trying to come up with a way of labeling my plants so I don't forget what they are. I'll be stealing your rock method for sure, much more tasteful than my plastic tags on stakes idea! White Feather and On Stage look amazing, I'll be on the lookout for those...
    ...See More

Hosta E 2015

Q

Comments (51)
    Wow, Elegant Elly is very pretty. Looks piebald.
    ...See More

One of triplet winners - 2015 Top Gun

Q

Comments (17)
    Mbug, what an amazing hosta that DQ is! I love the shades of colour in that shot. There will be many photos of this one this summer. Spartacus get to you too, huh? It is all Don's fault! ;-) Just tonight I had an aaah moment provided by DQ. I was watering the new ones I had on the deck and when it came to DQ's turn, I just stopped and stared. It was twilight already - it had the most beautiful, soft, light creamy buttery hue to it and I could swear she put on new ripples in the last day or so! Absolutely breathtaking it was. Two leaves were back to back in perfect fit, ruffle to ruffle. Too bad it was so late...but to try and capture that on film would have been near impossible. It almost didn't look real. It truly was a moment for me. I hope it won't be the last. Faye, Amalia is a beautiful name...and so fitting that you get one for your garden. :-) Sandyslopes, two of DQ is always better than one! Glad you found the original as well. That is too bad about Marrakech - I bought mine from Hosta Fever in 2012 but haven't seen one at all at any of the larger nurseries I frequent. Mail order? ;-)
    ...See More
  • sherrygirl zone5 N il
    8 years ago

Sunny wood, my praying hands is planted about two feet away from the base of a large evergreen. It gets bright shade most of the day and some sun really late in the day. I guess I picked the perfect spot for it in my yard. The evergreen is not a dense one so it does get rain and the soil doesn't dry out as fast as other parts of the garden.

Sherry

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    8 years ago

Yippee! I got Proud Sentry last year. I really like your pics of it, BC.

peren.all, Emerald Ruff Cut is a really pretty hosta. Love the wavy edges and the coloring.

I'm surprised to see Jack of Diamonds on the hard to grow list. It's grown at a steady pace for me and is a real looker.

Okay, jo, I found an early pic of one I really like a lot. I'll nominate it for Top Gun status.
    Awakening Angel It's a pretty blue with long pointed leaves that puts on a nice show as it's unfurling. It's also been a fast grower.

josephines167 z5 ON Canada thanked sandyslopes z5 n. UT
  • Jon 6a SE MA
    8 years ago

Hey look, some people have been bad mouthing Great Expectations and I want you to take it back!

Jon :-{

josephines167 z5 ON Canada thanked Jon 6a SE MA
  • Jon 6a SE MA
    8 years ago

How about a Dream Queen

Original Author
    8 years ago

Atta boy, Jon! ;-)

• in ny zone5
    8 years ago

'Dream Weaver' at the end of September this year :

Original Author
    8 years ago

So glad I also have these beauties...ahem...had DW but it died. DQ will have to suffice, lol. Not a hardship, right?

• bkay2000
    8 years ago

No one is bad mouthing Great Expectations. It's a gorgeous hosta. We're just passing on the common knowledge that it is hard to grow. It's even more difficult in any zone other than zone 5. (If you'll pay attention over time, you'll notice all the folks who say it's not hard to grow are in zone 5.)

bk

josephines167 z5 ON Canada thanked bkay2000
  • tsbccowboy
    8 years ago

Ivory Coast looked great in 2015. In 2010, five Ivory Coast were purchased as liners and they are starting to get some size. Ivory Coast is similar to Liberty, a favorite.

Ivory Coast liners in 2010

josephines167 z5 ON Canada thanked tsbccowboy
  • in ny zone5
    8 years ago

'Ivory Coast' here, living under a gutter downspout.

josephines167 z5 ON Canada thanked in ny zone5
  • don_in_colorado
    8 years ago

The first pic of my Christmas Tree was taken in mid-June, Jo...This pic is from Sept 22nd. So there is a bit more greening up during the season.

• Tiddisolo Wales UK
    8 years ago

Bought as small single divisions about seven years ago, like many others of mine they are having their best years.

Ivory Coast on the left and Majesty on the right also a Sagae sport.

Dave

Original Author
    8 years ago

Don't have Ivory Coast - I lost a new Majesty a year ago. Both are lookers though!

Thanks, Don! for the pic from late September. It retains a fair bit of blue right to the end of season...the tree canopy must be providing some shade.

• in ny zone5
    8 years ago

My 'Majesty' has not a wide enough border, but has more than 'Sagae'. Though otherwise it is growing well.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    8 years ago

Glad to see a picture of both Ivory Coast and Majesty, Dave. Both attractive, but different. I only have Majesty which is not even half the size of Dave's. It does stand out in a garden. You've got to get another Jo!

josephines167 z5 ON Canada thanked newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
  • Jon 6a SE MA
    8 years ago

bk, I'm in 6a (close enough I guess) as I have two GEs that are doing splendidly. Please don't take my light-hearted remarks as actual animosity, they are not.

Jon

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    8 years ago

Ok---so I know I'm not supposed to pick more than one but---Goodness Gracious would be another beautiful hosta. (Sorry, but can't find a photo of it right now!) Do you have it Jo?

Another hosta that has caught my eye is Seducer. Purchased in 2014 with one shoot. In 2015 it had grown to four. I am very impressed with the coloring and the size of the leaves. I didn't mention it earlier because you did say we should pick "one," and you know my "one" choice. But, heck, you are going to have a difficult decision to make looking at these gorgeous photos! Why shouldn't I add another? LOL

josephines167 z5 ON Canada thanked newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes, NHL, the choice wont be easy - it never is and if I could, I would pick up all the ones I don't have! Lol

Goodness Gracious was a tie Top Gun Winner (Bernd) last year and it impressed me so this past season. Lasted long past the season looking so good.

Hospital visits have preoccupied me but I will make a decision by end of this weekend. :)

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    8 years ago

How about first, second and third??????

sherry

• stoc zone 6 sweden
    8 years ago

Got to be Striptease it has grow like crazy as has this whole bed I moved some around in August.

josephines167 z5 ON Canada thanked stoc zone 6 sweden
  • in ny zone5
    8 years ago

Here is hosta 'Goodness Gracious' on Sept.26, 2015, needs a growth spurt in 2016 though:

josephines167 z5 ON Canada thanked in ny zone5
  • peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    8 years ago

Top Gun 2014 - Sherry here is the link for last year.

Here is a pic of 'Winter Snow' in late May of this year.

josephines167 z5 ON Canada thanked peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
  • sherrygirl zone5 N il
    8 years ago

Thanks, Laurie, I was here last winter, don't understand why I don't remember this thread : /

sherry

8 years ago

Sherry I can't even remember the number of things I forgot LOL!

• TheHostaCottage
    8 years ago

Hi Jo,
    I recommend Pistache. It fits the 10 foot rule :)

Vanessa

josephines167 z5 ON Canada thanked TheHostaCottage
  • almosthooked zone5
    8 years ago

Such beautiful Hosta and hard to mention everyone's names . LOVE LOVE LOVE THEM

josephines167 z5 ON Canada thanked almosthooked zone5
  • don_in_colorado
    8 years ago

My #2 is Dick Ward. Wonderful plant. I have mine in a lot of shade, but it saves it from getting too sun-friend later on in the season.

josephines167 z5 ON Canada thanked don_in_colorado
  • don_in_colorado
    8 years ago

Dick Ward on September 22nd.

josephines167 z5 ON Canada thanked don_in_colorado
  • mbug_gw
    8 years ago

So many top guns to add to the arsenal!!

A little late but Fragrant Queen was a 2015 favorite ....color/contrast/leaf shape/habit were outstanding all season

Fragrant Queen closeup
    .....and I have to recommend Devon Green if you don't have it.... just outstanding color and habit. Couldn't stop looking at it all summer.

josephines167 z5 ON Canada thanked mbug_gw
  • sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    8 years ago

Your Fragrant Queen is such a nice looking hosta. I have a smaller one, and the coloring on the leaves is so impressive. They remind me of a watercolor painting.

• Jon 6a SE MA
    8 years ago

New this year SSSSSSSnake Eyes.

josephines167 z5 ON Canada thanked Jon 6a SE MA
  • dg
    8 years ago

Nicccce Sssnake Eyes, Jon ;-)

I want to 'like' them all, but that would be seriously redundant....

Good luck to you Jo!

josephines167 z5 ON Canada thanked dg
  • don_in_colorado
    8 years ago

Do you have 'Dick Ward,' Jo? I can't remember...

• don_in_colorado
    8 years ago

Your 'Key Lime Pie' is gorgeous, Bernd. I think I need one to plant next to its reverse-variegated sibling, 'Yesterday's Memories.'

Original Author
    8 years ago

Oh wow! Let's let this ride a bit longer, shall we? All I've got time for right now is to read, click a few likes and thank-yous! These hostas are amazing. Thanks for the luck, Deb! I'll have a difficult time alright!!! :-D

• irawon zone 5a Ottawa.ca
    8 years ago

Hi Jo, I've been lurking occasionally because I've had to restrict my computer use due to eye problems. I was hoping that someone would select some of my favorites but that hasn' happened. Hope you don't have these yet.

Number 1 because the slugs leave it alone and it stays bright all season: LUNA MOTH

It's a medium hosta

Number 2: SUMMER LOVIN, a sport of Summer Breeze, also a medium because you've mentioned space is limited in your garden.

Number 3: LITTLE SUNSPOT is a small hosta and has performed really well for me.

Number 4: Love NANCY, a really great performer even with tree root competition... a medium.

I'm submitting the next two in the event you can still handle some large hostas

Number 5: ARC DE TRIOMPHE. Love the shape and the ruffels.

Number 6 is one of Olga's.and she breeds large hostas. DAWN'S EARLY LIGHT.

Number 7, a medium. It's a number 7 in my garden only because the slugs like it but that may be only because of location in my garden.

EDIT: This is SUGAR AND SPICE

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    8 years ago

irawon, beautiful Luna Moth! I hope mine fills out like yours. ....Is your #7 Queen Josephine? I like the shine of it. All nice hostas!

8 years ago

Oops, forgot the name of number 7 - SUGAR AND SPICE. I have Queen Josephine and love it too, love its shine but I didn't have a good picture.

8 years ago

So good to have you back irawon. Hope this means you will be able to pop in more often now! Just gorgeous hostas and pics, as always.

8 years ago

Hi peren.all, that's so sweet of you. I'd like to participate more but still have to restrict my exposure to blue light (computer,TV, cell phone).

Original Author
    8 years ago

Hello hosta folks! My apologies for my absence but it couldn't be helped.

I have re-read this entire thread, looked at the fabulous pictures...and decided to sleep on it for one more night....since I am late already! Lol. As Sherry suggested, there may be a 1, 2, and 3.! (Wink)

A blue hosta, a ruffled hosta, ... and perhaps a shiny one? I have to review my own list and see which of these suggestions are different from my collection.

Irawon, so good to hear from you but I am sorry for your eye troubles. Hope trouble is only temporary. So appreciate your gorgeous pictures! That AT looks fabulous! Don't have it either. :)

G'night, see you tomorrow. Promise a winner!

Jo.

Original Author
    8 years ago

Well, I've narrowed it down some:

1. Indigo ... the flower bracts got me!
    2. Emerald Ruff Cut - colour, Ruffles and shape of pointy leaves
    3. Pistache - unique in colour with added white stripe

I need another day!

Original Author
    8 years ago

HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYONE!!!

I realize I left this thread up in the air for quite a while. Please forgive me for my absence...

If I had to start a new hosta garden from scratch, I would have no hesitation in buyibng each and every beautiful hosta offered here as a top gun! The funny thing is that I own more than half of them already! and want all the rest that I don't! Lol.

Thank you to all who participated. I appreciate your input so much and I especially loved all the marvellous pictures of hostas that are great performers in your gardens.

My rather short Want List (which often gets deleted, then restarted, lol) had a good handful of hostas on it that were submitted here.

Irawon, I appreciated the size information you included as you remembered I have space restrictions. :-)

Don, no, I don't have a Dick Ward - and I can't help but notice how well your hostas are growing in your Colorado gardens!! What a difference two years makes! It will be another exciting spring as the rest of the hostas leap towards maturity, eh?

A 2nd short list materialized with

1. Dancing Queen
    2. Luna Moth
    3. War Paint

Well.......I've taken enough of everyone's time.... Time to announce the 2015 Top Gun Winner.

This year there are three.....because it was just too difficult to choose and two hours later...even with short lists, I kept waffling..... Then remembered Sherry's suggestion and thought...why not? ;-)

1. PISTACHE - submitted by Vanessa! I think I'll place it beside Spilt Milk and see if they compliment one another. (Both with sporadic thin white streaks.)

2. EMERALD RUFF CUT - submitted by Laurie/Peren.all (texture, shape, size and ruffled leaves)

3. DANCING QUEEN - submitted by Donna/BC/Irawon (a double whammy: just can't ignore Donna's beautiful pics and passion for this one, and BC's photo with the dark background had me mesmerized)

Dave's War Paint photo has placed it on top of Want List!

Thanks again, Folks! :-) I'll be showing/introducing the new babies sometime in May/June no doubt!

8 years ago

I think we could all agree that having you around is even better than these great hostas!

Pistache is a stunner that had us (at least Vanessa, you and I) all drooling. lol! I will certainly be looking out for this beauty.

Emerald Ruff Cut has such great movement to it and I know you will enjoy it as much as I do. It makes me happy just looking at it.

Dancing Queen has won me over too Jo! I used to think that because I had Choo Choo Train that I did not need another gold with a rippled edge but the pics are so beautiful from everyone.

Great hostas to grace your beautiful garden!

• DelawareDonna Zone 7A
    8 years ago

When I saw Pistache, I knew it was a winner!

I've read several comments since I've been on the forum that Emerald Ruff Cut was difficult to grow, and that colored my decision to purchase it. Lauren, yours is "full" and very "ruffly."

Dancing Queen "rules." Thanks to all of you who "liked" my photos. Jo, give this beauty room to grow. I think you should consider her only protegy, Amalia. also.

Thanks for orchestrating the contest again this year. :):)

josephines167 z5 ON Canada thanked DelawareDonna Zone 7A
  • bchosta 8b west coast canada
    8 years ago

DD - I was interested in picking up Amalia this year, (it would have been my #1 choice), but it looks like it will be much harder to come across in Canada than the States (Naylor Creek has it listed). I like the yellow center, green streaky margins combo, with the added interest of piecrust edges. What's more, if it's like its parent, it should be a strong grower. Dave has posted pics of this one too. Along with yours, they have repeatedly caught my eye. No doubt, Amalia will get here in due time! Hopefully in the not too distant future!!!

Ditto your comments on ERC - though the one displayed above is a knockout! If I ever come across one for sale that's got off to a good start, then I wouldn't hesitate to pick it up! However, I don't fancy trying to nurse a smaller one along.

Jo - I agree that Vanessa's Pistache is a visual treat - good choice!

BC

josephines167 z5 ON Canada thanked bchosta 8b west coast canada
    8 years ago

Isn't it strange. ERC is not on Don Rawsons list of Difficult - to - Grow Hostas and I have had no problem with it at all, yet, neither is Little Aurora and it has been a testy one for me.

There are I think 5 from that list I grow easily and others that I agree are difficult.

Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you for the additional comments Peren.all, DD, and BC!

BC, I'm going to find out if Hosta Choice may have Amalia in their line-up for 2016. It made a lot of our eyes pop when Donna first posted it.... I will ask as well re Emerald Ruff Cut and inquire about sizes available. I was very impressed with the size of all the new hostas (18 of them) I picked up from Glen last May!

Laurie, thank you! and I, too, try to avoid getting too many hostas that look very similar. Dancing Queen has a wee bit of resemblance to my Cold Heart (even though DQ's colour is brighter) but I had to have this beauty for my "Queens" collection, lol....as in - Queen Josephine, Dream Queen, Ivory Queen, The Queen and now Dancing Queen!

Donna, thanks for the tip about room for DQ! She will live in the pot for the first year so I can admire her up close anytime I want...I love touching my hostas as I talk to them ;-). I will certainly consider getting Amalia if it ever gets to Canada :). You just keep taking great photos of her this coming season, ok?