SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
josephines67

Finally have my Top Gun Winner! Plus, plus, plus...

I had a wonderful day today! Took a 2-hr trip to Coburg and toured Giboshihill Hostas. My, oh my, oh my! Definitely rates as THE best display of mature hostas I have ever had the pleasure of seeing up close.

Definitely planning a return visit. He has over 1300 hosta and I have found a place where I can get what, up till now, I could only dream about while drooling over your pics, my American hosta friends!

Do you know how many times I exclaimed Don's and Mocc's, Paul (Min) and Vanessa's names??? And that's just for starters. So many of you who have posted some of your young beauties, I actually saw your mature hostas today, staring back at me! Wish you could have been there with me! I saw the most h u g e specimen of Squash Casserole but was so entranced by it I don't know if I had the wherewithal to take a pic for Mocc! I took some when I remembered but can't remember them now by name.

Anyway, the main purpose of this post was to introduce my new Top Gun winner, H. 'On Stage'.

I had no luck getting it locally (sold out early) so, with the help of Vanessa aka Hippieindenial, she had one reserved for me at Giboshihill Hostas and I picked it up today. Here it is.

H. 'On Stage' - 'Choko Nishiki' is its now recognized correct name. (Not on computer to assign proper accents to name as it should be written, sorry)
Its origin is that of sport of H. montana.

A beautifully variegated hosta with bright gold centres with a neat green margin that often streaks into the centre. With sun the centre turns creamy white for the rest of the season. You can alter the colour by providing more shade where you will achieve a greener look than a gold one. I love the "purity" look of this hosta! It truly glows in pictures and I am so happy to have it "glow" in my garden! :-)

Thank you so much, Paula, for suggesting it. It has made a lasting impression on me.
I really, really love it and I will always associate it with you. :-)

Of course I could not leave it lonely in the car for the drive home, so also acquired these:

1. H. 'Fingerprint' (Hofer & Ruh), a first generation sport of Paul's Glory

It is a very interesting green centre, gold margined (early) hosta, changing to gold centre, green margin, darker line between margin and centre.

2. H. 'Bridal Falls' (sport of Niagara Falls (Brincka & Petryszyn)

Beautiful piecrusting - the gold margin changes to white - a stunner! Someone posted one recently and many of us commented on it. Enabled, that's what I was! Any hosta involving Olga Petryszyn is outstanding.

3. H. 'Mini Skirt' (Walters Gardens 2013) - sport of 'Mighty Mouse'

My BME and HME can always use more mouse friends, especially ones as pretty as this one, with her frilly skirt! A real cutie!

Please, feel free to comment, post your own pics if you grow these as I would love to see them.

Thanks for looking.

Jo

Comments (44)