SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mo142

need help selecting heat pump

mo142
8 years ago

We are in the process of remodeling two old buildings (built around 1890s) into an office. (We're also building a home, which is how I learned of gardenweb, but that's not what I'm concerned with today.) Our contractor gave me HVAC info yesterday and would like me to decide asap. I'm about to read as much as I can on this forum, but wanted to get input from here.

Our overall building will be about 3000 sf. One side is about 1700 sf and one side will be 1300 sf. Because of issues with putting ductwork in an old building, we will have separate units for each side. We have decided to use heat pumps. We are in the middle of the country where the minimum recommended SEER is 13. We have all four seasons here, so AC and heat are both important.

The contractor proposes to use the following for each side (so two total):

14 SEER Carrier # 25HCD442A003 and Air handler # FB4CNF042L00 with a Pleated 4” Filter (3.5 ton, NOT energy star rated, HSPF 8)

but I can upgrade to:

15 SEER Carrier units, #25HBC542A003, for $800 total (3.5 ton, YES energy star rated, HSPF 8)

I'm inclined to upgrade for that cost. I'm wondering if Carrier is a good brand, if these units are the right size for our spaces, if you'd recommend something else. Thank you in advance for help!

Comments (17)