SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lucymags

Which pests are responsible for this damage - various plants

lucymags
8 years ago

Apart from having to contend with possums and other difficult conditions, several plants in my front garden have suddenly become blighted by at least two different pests. In the photos, you can see that the begonias have been chomped on quite vigorously from the outer edges of the leaves, the correas have been riddled with holes as well as chomps out of the edges, the various geraniums and pelargoniums (some, but not all in my varied collection) have brown withered leaves as well as holes in them, and the abutilon appears to be mildly affected (only a few splotches) by something or other.

I know I have earwigs and have been putting out tins of oil + soy sauce overnight, which traps a few, but also gets a lot of woodlice (slaters). I don't know whether earwigs are capable of quite so much damage?

I put a few snail bait out last night, in case it was slugs getting at the begonias - so far no evidence. My only other weapon is Eco-oil, which I have sprayed on a couple of bushes but it's difficult to get coverage and I'm wondering if it gets washed off when I water the garden. (I prefer to stick to organic or home-made deterrents where possible - but still have snail bait from many years ago.)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pn8cxxjru4t12qc/AACT9DD_8Eh2z8Zlw6GxK3Fja?dl=0

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!