SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulguy

Can I interest you in saving and investing about 25% of your income?

joyfulguy
8 years ago

(I know that there are quite a few "characters" around here ... but when I finished the subject line ... it assured me that there were only 2 left.)

Those of you who expect to die within the next ten years can mostly pay much lower attention to this story.

Most of us who are employees in this part of the world have received very little in the way of salary increase during the past 6, 8 ... 10? years.

Do you expect that situation to improve, as far as recipients are concerned, any time soon? I think that, for most of us, that's somewhat doubtful: and I'd not want to rely on it happening.

Without referring to many employment situations being much less secure than in earlier times ... and fewer alternatives at comparable levels of income ... especially for folks in advancing years.

And while fewer employees have such a benefit now than in earlier years, many employers are trying to reduce their pension liabilities to current employees who have one, as well.

Many pensions don't have much of an escalator, either ... and with
interest rates as they have been, many current recipients haven't had any for several
years, recently.

As for costs of housing and rents, they keep going up. Same with food, buying cars and most of the goods and services which we consider necessities, apart from what many consider luxuries.

Do you expect that situation to improve, any time soon?

I don't.

So ... don't most of us need to expect about the same number of dollars having to cover more costly expenses, in the years to come?

And those costs to increase, year by year?

If your expected number of years remaining are substantial, aren't you likely to need a major financial cushion to draw on, in future years?

Do you have it?

Better make some plans now, looking at 10? 20? 30 years down the road.

As many of you have heard me say, "Learning how money works is an interesting hobby ... that pays well". But less so, for interest earners, in recent years.

Sorry to be such a spoil-sport, folks.

(And on the day after Thanksgiving, for many - aren't you ashamed?).

(But - they do call it "Black Friday", don' t they?)

ole joyful ... well, most of the time so

Comments (34)

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company