SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laurel_warner

Wasilla AK build. This is the house we are building.

Laurel Warner
8 years ago

We are building a house in Wasilla, AK. We are on about .75 acres, backing up to lots of trees and no neighbors in back. We have 1 currently on the side of us. There will eventually be another one to the other side but they haven't started building there. History of the plan: I found one online and tweaked it. Took it to the builder, tweaked it some more. The original plan had a much smaller kitchen, and a separate formal dining room at the front. That is not how I grew up, and I have never had formal spaces so far in my adult life and see no reason to start now. So, I took it out and enlarged the space from the breakfast area to make 1 larger dining area. When I enlarged the dining area, it allowed me to enlarge the bathroom down there (so we can use the "Flex Room" as a potential guest room). I then ended up with some extra space at the front, so I decided that would be used as a "library" of sorts and be where we have all our books. We are not putting a closet in the Flex Room mainly because we are on septic. and putting a closet in would make it a bedroom, which would mean we would need a bigger septic system in. We have a 4 bedroom home and a 4 bedroom septic, so that works for us. Here is what I like about it: We have the kitchen, pantry, and mud room all as close as possible to the garage. Being in Alaska, we have very dirty shoes/boots, not to mention a lot of cold weather gear and we need a good place to store it when we come home. We currently have nothing at all in our current small home. We like the open plan concept at the back. My husband is the main cook and he is super excited to be able to cook in the kitchen and see everything that is going on in the other rooms. We have a lot of friends and family locally, so I know they will all gather there anyway. Upstairs, we kept 2 of the bedrooms the exact same size because we have 2 daughters and want to avoid fights over who gets the bigger (and therefore nicer) room. We also like the open loft area upstairs where they can play. The stairs will have an open railing at the top which allows you to look down to the bottom of the stairs. The girls are excited to use it as a place to launch their "stuffies" and make them go skydiving.

I will say, that we changed the second floor on the fly once the first floor got framed and we saw the size of the "flex room". You see, 2 of the bedrooms upstairs were going to be the exact same size as that room and I felt they would be too small. The upstairs bath and laundry used to be where the middle bedroom was upstairs next to the master. Thankfully our builder was able to make the changes before they started the framing for the 2nd floor so it avoided problems with that.

Total square footage is about 2858. Also, the dimensions of the rooms are all a bit smaller since this does not account for wall thicknesses. (I can't draw so I used excel to make a plan of sorts. The builder went off this to make the actual plans).

We are super excited and hope to move in the Spring!

Comments (10)