SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_2089628

Generator - Auto Transfer - Refrig and Freezer tripping the breakers

User
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Greetings!

I have a new home with a 20 kw Cummins propane generator with an automatic transfer switch.

I have a couple of problems:

First problem:

The first time the power went out I was home, and noticed that the refrigerator did not come on as expected when the generator kicked in. I checked and the circuit breaker in the separate designated generator panel had tripped and when I turned it back on, everything was fine.

The second time the power went out I was gone. When we returned, all the food in both the refrigerator and the freezer had spoiled due to the appliances being off presumably since when the power went out.

Everything was off in the house. Most appliances were unplugged. The only things on were the electric heat pump set at 59 degrees, and the refrigerator and the freezer.

What causes this? How would I get it fixed?

Supposedly power failures happen a time or two per year here in the PNW. So it was bad luck the second time, not being home. But we are not always here. And it is expensive to keep losing food.

Second problem:

Running the generator causes CO2 to enter the house. After about 12 hours of continuous running, with the windows closed, the CO@ detectors on the second floor went off. We opened all the windows etc, and they went off after about 5 minutes.

The second time the generator kicked in we were not home. The neighbor said they heard the alarms come on later that night. When we came home a few days later, the alarms were off.

How does CO2 enter the home? The generator is outside of the garage. It was supposedly installed as per the instructions from the manufacturer.

Any insights would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments (7)