SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sengsai_thoj

Sucess with A.pear,peach and J.Plums in SE Wisconsin(Milwaukee area)?

Seng Sai Thoj
8 years ago

I have Methley J. plum Shinseiki A. pear and Belle of Georgie peach on order for next spring. Will any of these fare well in my zone 5b area and actually be productive?
........................if they go well, i'm considering adding more variety of those mentioned specie above.......
Thanks

Comments (11)

• eastmeetwest
    8 years ago

Methley will be OK where you are and it's self fertile. Shinseiki should have another pear to cross pollinate. It can be either Asian or Euro pear that blooms at the same time.

Belle of Georgia is a bad choice for zone 5. If the winter does not kill the tree, it will likely kill the flower buds. You may want to look for a cold hardier varieties such as Reliance, Contender or even Madison.

Living in zone 5, you may need to sacrifice taste to cold hardiness when it comes to peach. From what I have heard, Madison and Contender taste good. Reliance gets mixed review.

• Seng Sai Thoj
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I forgot to mentioned...i already also have a yoinashi pear on order as well..so the pear's pollination should be ok..assuming they fruit.

Belle of Georgia was said to zone 5, that's why I picked that one and I also love white peaches lol...i guess I'll eventually find out...

Thanks for the recommendation of other peaches...I've read a little about contender and Reliance...but not much about Madison....where could one be found online or locally?

• jerry63
    8 years ago

Not a fan of reliance . I had both reliance and Belle of Georgia at the same time in zone 5 . When there was winter damage both had it . Reliance is said to be freestone but for practical purposes it is not . It has to be over ripe to come free of the pit . Even then it is hard to separate .

• Seng Sai Thoj
    Original Author
    8 years ago

ouch, hope mine does ok. I guess i'll just have to take to chance and fine out, since I already order it lol...........looks like contender, Madison, or maybe Mckay then?

How about paw paw in zone 5?

I've read the extension report of the Crandale(?) farm trails on Davis and Pennsylvania Gold...........it said both has done well, but slow to establish for the first 5 or so years, as of 2012/13, the PA Gold is 10 ft and the
    Davis is about 6 ft......PA gold has flowered, but no fruit set yet, since Davis hasn't bloomed yet........and that was the last report, not sure if either one set any fruit from this or last year.........the reports hasn't been updated past 2012 activities.....

• clarkinks
    8 years ago

Consider planting peaches such as flat wonderful, contender, and reliance. Reliance is a pie and canning peach. Fireblight tolerant pears such as magness, maxine, potomac, moonglow. Asian pears like you are looking at are a great choice and you might enjoy Korean Giant. that was proably a great choice in plums you made.

• eastmeetwest
    8 years ago

Seng,

As long as the company has not mailed you the trees, you should be able to call to ask for a change of your peach order. McKay would be harder to find. Madison and Contender are more commonly sold.

Try to avoid a peach tree grafted on a Citation rootstock. It tends to runt out the tree. Get it on a Lovell, Guardian or Halford rootstock.

Where did you order your tree from? Some nurseries are more trustworthy than the other.

• Seng Sai Thoj
    Original Author
    8 years ago

clarkinks, I have thought of Korean giant, but I worried that the fruit won't ripen in time in my area....have you grown KG in your area and what time it usually ripens?

eastmeetswest, one of the company that I order from is one that is local to my state called northen ridge nursery......they were limited on varieties and only had 4 choices for peaches: Belle of Georgia, Elberta, Flordaking and Red Haven...they were also limited on other tree species varieties.....I ended up choosing Belle of G, Methley plum and Shinseiki pear from them, due to being more reasonably price for their size(4-5' as they claim) and replacement......they didn't state which root stock was grafted on..............it's one of those online nursery that buys wholesale from the commercial growers.....so no idea which root stock was used...this is my first time buying online, so I didn't really know which direction to take and kinda just went with the best pricing I saw, though that may not always be a good thing...lol

Do,you think I should switch the Bell of G. for one of the other 3, or those are just as bad of a choice?

my other order of Asian pear is coming from Brunt ridge nursery in WA...is that a reputable nursery to order from?

• eastmeetwest
    8 years ago

Korean Giant ripen around early-mid Oct in zone 6 a. It probably will ripe around mid to late Oct for you. Should not be too late. Very good and productive tree, worth a try.

Not sure why the northern ridge nursery does not carry northern peach varieties. Flordaking as the name implies is a southern peach!!! Of the 4 that nursery carry, I would choose Red Haven or Elberta over the other two. You can't go wrong with either. They are good peaches. I do not know if they will produce peaches well in your zone. They may if your winter is not too harsh on some years.

When you buy on line, it does not matter where the nurseries are located as long as they can ship to you. Many nurseries are in WA. Those in warmer areas may ship bare root trees to you by March. That's OK, just keep them in the box, in a dark place, make sure the roots are moist (not wet), they will keep until April when you can dig the ground. Otherwise, you can tell them to ship trees to you when you can work the ground.

Burntridge Nursery is good. Autumnridge is bad. Whenever you come across any on line nursery, just google "Scoop on + the name of the nursery", info about that nursery will show up. It's done by a garden watchdog, Dave's Garden. Avoid the one with a lot of negatives.

Nurseries like Cummins, Adam County Nursery, Grandpa's Orchard, Burntridge, One Green World, Raintree, Vaughn, Stark's Brothers are reputable.

• Seng Sai Thoj
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I do like Asian pears and one more can't hurt haha.....

Thank you everyone for your advice and leads...........this newbie is learning so much already.....I'll definitely look those nursery and varieties you guys mentioned.........thanks again :)

• clarkinks
    8 years ago

Eastmeetwest I agree on the nurseries and the advise you gave Seng Sai Thoj.