SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mbaldauf61

Another Build - 5 Years Later

mbaldauf61
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi Everyone.

Five years ago we built what we thought was our forever home (famous last words, right?) but here we are, several life changing events later and it's time to move back closer to town. We are a family of 4 - DH and I, DD is 23 and DS is 14. He has Autism and we homeschool. DH lost his eye sight soon after we moved into our current house and DD works with him and is the primary 'work' driver. We are a close family and enjoy game night, movie nights and love to cook together and frequently have friends over.

There was a post recently about, ' not the norm house' and that's us. We prefer something a little unique but not weird, lives easily and no formal spaces. We must have a screen porch because DH is deathly allergic to wasps and other stinging evil things. This will give him a safe haven outside without being afraid for his life and one side of it will face the lake view.

When we were looking at house plans 5 years ago I liked many things about the Tucker Bayou plan but we're early 50's and don't want so many bedroom upstairs. (would consider a game room or bedroom for DD upstairs). With the main floor of Tucker Bayou in mind I came up with this current plan. I'd like suggestions and feedback on how to improve it or changes to make it function better. Also, what are your thoughts on removing one bedroom and building a garage apartment for DD? At some point DS could live there or we could rent it or have a B&B. (We are in beautiful East Texas where B&B's do very well)

The lot we are looking at is a corner lot, about 3/4 acre, across the street from a large lake, is on a private street with only a few homes, fairly rectangular (slightly narrower in front and widens slightly towards the back) and fairly level. The house will face the lake (facing west) with road frontage on the south and west side with gorgeous sunset views to the front.

I've attached the garage but would actually like a 'back door or guest entry' between the house and garage but am not sure how to make that look right or if it's really needed. It seems nice in theory but I see it adding cost and could be difficult to landscape in that closed off area. (oh yeah, I LOVE to garden!) Also, we have a water closet in our current laundry room and it's perfect for swim parties, after gardening, etc. It keeps the dirt in the laundry room.

So, any ideas would be so helpful. I drew this in Power Point so it's not the best but will hopefully give you the general layout and a place to start.

Thank you SOOO much,

Sunnny

Power Point version

New House · More Info

Hand drawn version

New House · More Info

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living