SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lathesage

Do moisture meters detect water in pumice, lava rock, turface, etc?

L. A. Nolan (nyc, zone 7b)
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hello there! I hope not to upset anyone with my novice questions. I am an extreme newbie that's recently gotten into bonsai. To give you some context, I live in NYC in a small apartment with no outside space, and have a view of the species that be maintain indoors.

My current soil mix is 1 part turface, 1 part perlite, and 1 part bark fines (sifted from miracle grow potting mix). After watering heavily and checking with my moisture meter, it is still showing 2 or 3 on the moisture meter. I am sure the meter works, as it give me a high after water reading (8, 9, 10) on my plans in general purpose all organic potting mix.

I tried soaking the pot with my turface/perlite/bark under water for an hour to let the water soak in, and the moisture reading went up to about 4-5. The next day is was back in the dry range of 1-2-3. I accidentally knocked over the pot, and when I scooped up the soil to put back in the pot, it felt moist!

So I am wondering if moisture meters do not detect the water soaked up by turface (and other similar particles like lava rock, perlite and pumice. Also note that I am using small shohin sized pots, so I do not know if the depth has anything to do with it.

Thanks!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor