SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cplover

Do I need a pony wall in this bathroom?

cplover
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

This is the layout for my small master bathroom. Shown is a pony wall between the 36x48 shower and the 32" floating vanity. I told the architect to take out the pony wall because 1) I thought it was not needed 2) it would require us to purchase a "custom" glass shower door and 3) it is just one more thing is an already small space. However, now I wonder if I need to extend the shower tile behind the vanity since otherwise it will look like I am cutting the room in half? Not sure if the pony wall would help or hurt this idea. Thoughts?

Comments (35)

• sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

What would you put there if not a pony wall - floor to ceiling glass?

• cplover
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The plan as is, is just to have the glass shower door. Sorta like this layout

Ritz Carleton Residence Manhattan · More Info

• Related Discussions

How much light do I need in a small bathroom?

Q

Comments (4)
    As far as I'm concerned, there's no such thing as too much light in a bathroom. After all, they don't all need to be on at the same time. Yep, an overhead light, vanity light(s), AND.... I would definitely recommend a light in the shower. That way, the shower space isn't spooky when you draw the shower curtain. No shower curtain? There will be shadows from the walls. You will think you haven't shaved for 3 weeks..... Lights installed in showers have to be a special kind..... I forget what it's called. On more general bathroom planning ideas..... consider blocking on the empty walls in case you want to add shelving, or several towels bars, or might later on need grab bars. Also, put an electric outlet in that 92" wall, in case you want to plug something in later, like a towel warmer, small heater, electronic scale, etc.
    ...See More

I want to do a gallery wall in my bathroom ...

Q

Comments (23)
    Well, I went ahead and bought new towels. I had been trying to match towels in various shades of pinks and greens and blues and corals in this room for so long, and finally decided to stop fighting to incorporate those specific colors and just go with a simple sand color instead. It works! Now the towels don't fight the artwork and vice versa, but sort of blend in better. I bought this painting from a Mercari seller today and will probably find a spot for it in this room. It's not very big, so should be easy to place.
    ...See More

Stone Seam on Bathroom Pony Wall - how do I fix it?

Q

Comments (9)
    Your tile has seams. No reason to think that this is any different. Just change your perspective. It's not like you're trying to make it look like the entire shower was carved from a single block of stone, right? It's really pretty and nobody is going to ding you for having a seam.
    ...See More

need to do a complete bathroom renovation! what to do!! i need help!!

Q

Comments (1)
    So do we. Are you going to show us pictures and give us an idea of your budget?
    ...See More
  • User
    8 years ago

The custom frameless glass wall will cost much more than a wall with tile. However it will really keep the room from feeling so claustrophobic.

• cplover
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I am confiused live wire oak-- you think a pony wall would make the room feel less claustrophobic than just a full piece of glass? I do not like the tile chosen above-- for me personally, I think its just too busy. But I do not think necessarily that the pony wall would help.

• User
    8 years ago

She means the opposite--"it", meaning the glass wall, will make the room feel less claustrophobic.

Are you running the marble accent tile behind the vanity as the backsplash? Wainscoting behind the vanity and on the adjacent door wall?

• cplover
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Oh thanks Mayflowers for clearing that up. I couldn't figure out how the pony wall would open things up. I was thinking that the marble would only be about 4" would be incorporated into the wainscoting and run all four wall (obviously not in the shower alcove).

• Fori
    8 years ago

We put in a pony wall instead of going all glass so that there would be a place to hide the shampoo and stuff. Our layout is a bit different of course.

Do consider that a pony wall lets you butt the cabinet up against it--with glass you need to leave space between vanity and shower for cleaning.

Either way, it would look really nice to continue the tile allllllll the way over!

• cplover
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here is another photo that I found. Again, I am not crazy about how the tile and wainscoting meet. Not sure if I just do not care for the color/tile selections or if it is the idea that where they meet acts like a dividing line--cutting an already small room in half.

Upper East Side Apartment 2 · More Info

• User
    8 years ago

Where the tile and wainscoting meets looks good to me. I don't think the room looks divided. I would do a wider band of the marble accent though. It looks like 6 or 8" in your inspiration photo. You'll want the marble right at the counter as backsplash, right?

• catbuilder
    8 years ago

To me, the above photo looks like a remodel job, as if there used to be one thing (either the subway or the wainscot) throughout the room and then they changed/repaired/updated just one part of it without bothering to carry the change throughout the room. I think you can have both in the same bathroom, but it was not executed well in that photo. I don't think your space is large enough to do both.

cplover thanked catbuilder
  • Karenseb
    8 years ago

I like a pony wall so that you can butt the cab up against the shower and gain some counter top. Also, if your shower controls are on the same wall as the sink, you could move them to the pony wall to make it easier to adjust the shower temp.

cplover thanked Karenseb
  • cplover
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Catbuilder- I think you may be right. Just saw this post today on Apartment Therapy with before/after photos of a bathroom. The author of the piece says all three tiles work together in this bathroom, but I humbly disagree. It looks busy and dislike the hex with the beveled subways with the marble. I think I am going to scrap pony wall and wainscoting. Sometimes a photo says a thousand words!

• enduring
    8 years ago

I don't get what you are saying @cplover. Why do you need wainscotting that is different from your shower tile. I don't care for the last picture posted either. But the continuity of the tile in the picture you posted above could work with or without a pony wall. I think I'd prefer a pony wall so I wouldn't have to manage that glass next to the vanity.

• cplover
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Enduring, what I was trying to say is I do not think I like the idea of wainscoting now because it will cut the room in half on the wall with the vanity. Half the wall would have wainscoting and the other half would have tile. I think visually I would prefer the wall to have just one finish.

• catbuilder
    8 years ago

I think enduring is saying the wainscoting doesn't have to be the beadboard look, but can be the same tile as the shower, whereas you are thinking that wainscoting has to be beadboard. I agree that the same tile should be used throughout, but I also would prefer the pony wall to the vanity next to the glass.

• enduring
    8 years ago

Mayflowers that is a lovely picture of the inset mosaic. To the OP, keep us posted on what you decide to do.

• cplover
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Will do! I change my mind daily-- but I will keep you posted. My concern is that there is not enough of the above photo wainscoting to make it look right with the shower or without a pony wall.

• Karenseb
    8 years ago

Here are a couple pics that may help you decide. (low pony wall)

Ukrainian Village Master Bath · More Info

cplover thanked Karenseb
  • cplover
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Karenseb- Thanks for the photos. This photo makes me think I can live without the pony wall. This photo makes me want to add a pony wall. AHHHHHHHHHHHH!

• Karenseb
    8 years ago

Tough choice. Both are nice options. If you need more counter space and storage, then a pony wall will get you that. If not a pedestal sink is indeed very open. Consider where your shower head and controls will be. I am trying to talk my daughter into a small low pony wall since her shower head will be on the same back wall as the sink and the vanity will make it difficult to get to the controls and adjust temperature. With a pony wall she could put the controls on the pony wall. She will have a 48 inch vanity.

• cplover
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Karenseb- the vanity I have picked out comes with a sink so I will not gain any counter space with a pony wall. My shower controls will be on the same wall as the vanity-- but I do not for see a problem

• cplover
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Love this bathroom. Do you think it would look as nice without the pony wall?

Bayshores Drive · More Info

• Daz in Taz
    8 years ago

From what I can see it's really coming down to the style of the bathroom. Older-style and traditional ones seem to look better with the wall; modern ones look worse with it. (Well, that's my take on it anyway, based on the photos above and in the links.)

Perhaps the guiding factor in your personal decision should be the overall modern/traditional skew of the room?

cplover thanked Daz in Taz
  • cplover
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Our home is a 1957 ranch home in a chicago suburb. The style in all of our previous remodels (kitchen and bathroom) have been transitional. A nod towards traditional but very unfussy.

• enduring
    8 years ago

With your pic you showed 3 post up, I could see it as a glass wall. It would look less fussy I think. The bench would end up being a visual feature. Would you want that? Also where would you put the TP holder. It could be mounted on the vanity. Also if you thought you'd want to install a grab rail you'd want to block that pony wall for future grab rail install. I really like the floor and how it continues into the shower. I like the dark trim at the entrance too. If you had the bench it would not be able to be across the span of the shower because there would not be a wall to butt it up against.

• Karenseb
    8 years ago

How wide is the vanity you have in mind. Do you have a picture? Where are your shower controls going- on the wall that has the sink or on the wall opposite? Are you planning on hinging the shower door as shown in your picture?

• localeater
    8 years ago

Because you are using a floating vanity that fills the space I think you need the pony wall. If you do the glass wall, eventually when dust and stuff acccumulate between the wall and vanity it will be visible from inside the shower and it will be impossible to clean.

I also agree with Karenseb's idea about the shower controls, if the shower controls are on the pony wall instead of the back wall it will be much easier to reach in and turn on. When they are on the back wall you will get wet turning them on, it's cold where I live and a drenching of cold water when I am still in my jammies is not appreciated.

• enduring
    8 years ago

The cold and wet depend on the size of the shower. I have a 36"x60" shower and the controls and head are at one end, the controls under the shower head. I just reach in and I do not get wet. Now if the shower was a larger area where you would have to walk in to access the controls that would be great to have controls near the entry. But a 36x48" shower will be just fine I would think with the traditional set up.

@mayflower, are you the one with the 36x48 Kohler pan? Or is that Cat-mom?

Here is my 36"x60" shower with glass doors, not problems with the shower controls under the shower and I don't get wet reaching in. This is before the porter was installed to hold the handshower, that is seen on the floor.

cplover thanked enduring
  • localeater
    8 years ago

Enduring, I love your shower

cplover thanked localeater
  • cplover
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Also I never considered having the shower controls anywhere but in traditional spot. Never really thought there was another option or a benefit of doing so. I learn something new all the time on this forum!!!

• cplover
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Karen- here is a [link[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/does-this-bathroom-scheme-work-dsvw-vd~3495037) to the vanity and other choices I have been contemplating.

• cplover
    Original Author
    8 years ago

bump

• cplover
    Original Author
    8 years ago

How much space would I need to adequately be able to clean between the floating vanity and the glass shower wall? We are FINALLY trying to finalize a contract. Want to make sure I am making the right decision with respect to this pony wall. ARGGHH. How can something so small (to pony wall or not) be so frustrating!

• silken1
    8 years ago

We have a very small 2nd bathroom with a small vanity beside a Maax shower. The vanity is about 6 inches from the shower base. Our shower base has the glass wall sitting about an inch inside the outer part of the base so the glass is actually a good 7 inches from the side of the cabinet. For us this seems like ample space to clean the floor and shower glass etc.

cplover thanked silken1
Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH