SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
miguel051

"Need help choosing a Shutter color"

Michael Procito
8 years ago

Hello there. I have a 2 story colonial house and am trying to figure out what color shutters would work best with my stone. The stone is primarily tans/ browns (light & dark), some purple, oranges, and gray limestone trim. I feel a dark shutter might be to dark and make the house feel smaller. I would like your opinion on which way I should go. I have attached 2 photos one in the shade and the other in direct sunlight. Thanks in advance.

Wish List · More Info

Wish List · More Info

Comments (15)

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

Wow. Really neat. I'd go with brown. I'd also paint the window and door trim more of an off white.

Michael Procito thanked tibbrix
  • IdaClaire
    8 years ago

If you add shutters that are either functional or give the appearance of being able to close over the windows (and they should be sized appropriately that way), aren't they going to be very closely spaced? I think that's going to really clutter the front façade of your pretty house.

Michael Procito thanked IdaClaire
  • Michael Procito
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I would definitely get operable / properly sized shutters and I wouldn't be putting them on the double window as this wouldn't be architecturally correct. They would 15" wide shutters which will leave aprox 9" in between each shutter as well as the corner trim. Here's a rendering but with the shutters on double window which will not be there.

• IdaClaire
    8 years ago

OK, that mockup helps tremendously! Actually, it is a busy look but I think I like it. I kinda like that grayed green shutter you've used too.

• bpath
    8 years ago

OT, but how are you liking your solar array?

Michael Procito thanked bpath
  • bpath
    8 years ago

For color, I was thinking something along the lines of a grayed blue/turquoise. Definitely the solid, not louvered.

Michael Procito thanked bpath
  • IdaClaire
    8 years ago

Yes, the solid. Love that look.

Michael Procito thanked IdaClaire
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

I like the shutters. I'd go with black.

Michael Procito thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    8 years ago

Dark brown solid shutters. Off-white or tan trim instead of white because the white is TOO white on your dignified house.

And tho you didn't ask, I'd remove the distracting light post which is smack dab in front of the house.

Michael Procito thanked littlebug zone 5 Missouri
  • User
    8 years ago

Rusty red/ brown for the shutters. The green is a pretty color but is apropos of nothing---the color isn't found in the stone and it doesn't really set off the honey color of the stone at all. If you like green, perhaps a darker or more saturated hue would look better.

what size area does your solar array cover? We are considering an array on the southwest facing roof plane of our home.

Michael Procito thanked User
  • User
    8 years ago

Do you mind sharing your approximate location (northwest, southeast, Midwest, etc) and the size of your home (sq footage)? We are considering a similar array for our home in Georgia. Thanks!

Michael Procito thanked User
  • Michael Procito
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I am facing south west so i get tons of sun. I live in Massachusetts. My house is 2,100 sq ft.

• amykath
    8 years ago

I love your home... without the shutters!

Michael Procito thanked amykath
  • blfenton
    8 years ago

I love your house - without the shutters. With the shutters it looks very formal. Of course, that may be the look that you want.

Michael Procito thanked blfenton