SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

When someone shows their true colors

Oakley
8 years ago

After many many years of being close to an extended family member on dh's side, I'm finally seeing her true colors and it's disturbing. We see each other about once or twice a year. Talk on the telephone about 4 or 5 times a year, and we talk for a good hour. The good thing is we agree with each other all the time.

This year we decided to email, which is quite a bit. There are some days we have a long running conversation which is always fun.

I have politely disagreed with her twice this year in email. Once was in the summer, and the other was this morning. When she replies to me, it's very short and to the point and kind of snarky. I know her so well I can hear the tone of her voice in email. lol. Then I get the silent treatment.

Narcissists do that, but I don't think she's a narc at all. There was no need for me to reply to her last two sentence email, and I know the silent treatment is coming again. The last time I gave it two weeks then emailed or called her, and everything was fine. This time I don't think I'll do it. I'm too old to deal with someone I can't disagree with without dealing with the childish ramifications.

Have you ever been in a similar situation? If so, how do you deal with it?

Comments (27)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH