SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
calypsochick

help--what is happening to my marble tile?!?

calypsochick
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi, all. I know marble tile and marble tile turning gray or "wet" has been discussed in great detail here. But I mainly seem to have found information on marble tile having this issue when it's on a shower floor. But I'm having an issue with a wall installation.

We have recently installed polished calacatta gold tile in our shower/tub combo. After we take a shower, some of the tiles start to develop a gray "shadow" or splotches. See 2 attached photos. (The most affected tiles are the ones you see in the photo starting 2-5 tiles up from the tub ledge). The tiles get wet, and the splotches start to spread from the edges/grout of the tile, spread up and into the center of the tile usually in the exact same pattern every time, then after about 3-4 hours, it feathers and starts to dry out and then is completely gone. We're both using the shower for about 15 minutes each when this happens, and it happens every time, and dries out every time.

The tile was installed over a month ago (mid-late September). The overall bathroom installation involved 5/8 Durock cement board, then laticrete 9235 waterproofing, then white thinset mortar, and platinum laticrete with the tile. It was sealed with Miracle Sealants 511 Porous Plus both before install and after. The grout used was the one recommended by the tile supplier: Mapei Keracolor U Unsanded grout in white.

I've heard a few different ideas on what is happening, and all seem to imply this is not a concern, and that we should reseal and make sure to get it into the grout, but I'm of course very concerned and not sure whom to believe. Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks

Comments (4)