SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dsd2682

Help Me ID this Austin Rose

SoFL Rose z10
8 years ago

Hi guys. Here I am again with the wrong rose. This was supposed to be Jubilee Celebration, but I have JC on dr Huey and it's definitely not the same rose. It is an Austin (I think) but not sure which. It does have fragrance though not the myrrh type typical of austins. This is a more sweet scent, somewhat more rosy smelling. It's hard to ID because it seems to change colors a lot. Earlier this year it was a cooler pink, now it's a very warm pink, almost salmon. Also the leaves are a lighting apple green and the stems are not very thorny. Any suggestions?

Comments (55)

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Also, blooms tend to be small here. All my roses produce smaller flowers than listed. Except for in the coolest months of the year. It's pretty hot here now. My neighbors are in their swimming pool as we speak.

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    8 years ago

It doesn't look like my P A of K. Mine are much more pink than the apricot color of your rose. Also P A of K blooms are HUGE. That color reminds me of Ambridge, however, Ambridge does have a distinct myrrh scent. I just went outside to check on my Alwick, but again, the color is off. Sorry, I can't help.

• Related Discussions

I'd like the Austin roses to be in the modern forum.

Q

Comments (85)
    just 2 things, maybe i'm blind: i went looking for this "modern rose forum" and i can't find it. seems the "modern forum" doesn't exist, and this whole thread has just been a practical joke - congratulations to the OP, you had us going there. and now that i noticed that, i realized something in addition: roses are not actually "modern", but in reality are very old and historical. when speaking of the rose, it might be prefaced by something like: "And now...introducting...the Queen!" a Queen is obviously not anything very modern either, so the whole premise, (or practical joke), of the discussion, is just a farce. There are newer hybrids, of course, just like there are newer hybrids of apples, but no one talks about "modern apples", or "modern wheat", or modern any other plant, because, simply, they are just not really "modern" at all, not like a modern automobile, or a telephone, or a washing machine, or an antibiotic or chemotherapy medicine,rose are, have been, and always will be highly historical, steeped in tradition and culture, and there never will be this alleged "modern rose forum", because that is very simply, a contradiction in terms, and cannot exist. Indeed, if we use the modern search engine "Google", and type in "modern rose forum" - guess what? - there does not even exist a "modern rose forum" anywhere. so before talking about a forum that doesn't exist anywhere, I suggest using "Google", and remember - Google is your friend. Cheers!!! all the best for the holidays and new years, Klinko.
    ...See More

Help me ID my David Austin Rose

Q

Comments (3)
    Thanks you so much. I suspect you are right as I remembered it having an unusual name. I will try and find one if not now, a bit late probably, then next year. It broke my heart to see the empty space where it had been
    ...See More

THIS is why I order Austin roses from David Austin Roses.

Q

Comments (32)
    Rebecca- your roses are gorgeous but so much work. I live in Massachusetts. It is so difficult to even dig a hole 10 inches deep with all the rock, boulders and ledge so I try to buy only own root roses. I have gotten some wonderful own root roses from DA and have some more scheduled for delivery next week. I hope they add more own root to their collections. I recently ordered 'Queen of Sweden' and 'Windermere' which is by far my healthiest DA rose and covers herself with delicate soft blush pink blooms from early summer till fall. She is cane hardy in my Z5b-6a garden. The only negative is lack of the "to die for" strong perfume scent that Austins are so known for. sharon
    ...See More

David Austin Roses - help me choose!

Q

Comments (21)
    Kristine thanks for mentioning that you're not fond of RD the person. I liked many of his books as a kid but since then I have learned that as a person he was very problematic to put it diplomatically. I also would not want. aa rose named after him
    ...See More
  • nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    8 years ago

Your rose doesn't look like an Austin to me, either, to join in the "crowd", nor does it look like PAOK, either--in size or form. It's very pretty, though. I thought Tournament of Roses was pinker than your rose. Diane

PAOK

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'll post some more photos as the bloom opens more and maybe that will help. :)

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    8 years ago

I was thinking PAOK too. Seems like mine has had several with that coloring. I will try to look through my pics. Judy

• Buford_NE_GA_7A
    8 years ago

I had Jubilee Celebration (and loved it, but it died) This could be it, but a off-bloom. I'd wait and see what it does in the spring.

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here's pics of her more open today (and alot more pink too)

This last shot shows her coloring more accurately. It went from warm coral pink to a cooler medium pink. That's Belinda's dream right behind her and their colors are almost identical.

I'm really starting to think it is PAoK. Which would be a good thing as that's one of the Austins' I would have liked on Fortuniana. So can't complain too much (although I would have much preferred Jubilee Celebration, PAoK is not a bad second choice).

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    8 years ago

Don't think it is Jubilee Celebration--which is more salmon pink with definite yellow showing at the base. And JC has a weak neck--blooms always "droop" gracefully--and never take on a hybrid tea look.

I would also doubt the PAoK identification also. Haven't grown it, but my understanding is that it is a very BIG bloom--lots and lots of petals packed in there also. And a strong medium pink color.

It is an attractive bloom, however.

Kate

• Ken (N.E.GA.mts) 7a/b
    8 years ago

How old is the bush that the bloom came off and was it a thin, droopy cane it was on??

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

It's a young plant Id say about a year old. Its grafted on to fortuniana. The stems are not droopy, no. Not super thick either, but it's a young plant. Only about 1.5 feet tall and 2 feet wide.

8 years ago

My P of K

As you can see in this last photo, my P A of K flowers are twice as large as my Munstead Wood flowers. They are about 4--5 inches across. They take up the size of my hand. Oh, this last picture is on one year old own root rose bushes. She gets to be a bit big with blooms and with her canes. They average about 8 feet or longer.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    8 years ago

I don't know what to think of PAOK. Mine is not usually the straight pink that yours is, mustbenuts, but they are large blooms. However, starting this year Munstead Wood's blooms got way bigger, and just as large as the Princess's. They are next to each other so it's easy to compare, I think PAOK has a very changeable color. Last week, her colors were almost russet (it had been quite cold). Diane

PAOK

Diane

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

Oh man, I really, really want PAOK!!! Diane - your pictures are wonderful!! So are yours Mustbnuts!

Carol

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    8 years ago

Thanks Carol. Remember you'll need a giant pot for this rose. Hey, what am I doing up at 1:55 am?? I'm 70 years old. Supposed to be in bed with my thermals on. Ha. Carol, have you had any snow yet? We've had quite a bit of rain for us; maybe we'll make 8 inches for the year after all. Sigh. Diane

Just One More...

One more...
    Diane

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    8 years ago

Maybe Janet?

8 years ago

Hey there Daine, I have been up since 1 am and should be sleeping (what is that?) so I can tackle another horrible day at work tomorrow (or today, I guess). My P A of K is pink, pink, pink, and doesn't change colors. Is yours on its own root? Maybe that makes the difference for mine.

Did we ever get the rain, thunder and lightning yesterday. I as was driving home, looking towards the east, at the mountains in Yosemite and Sequoia National Park, the lightening started in Yosemite and moved its way over towards Sequoia. It was an incredible display. Not fun driving in it. The lightning strikes were HUGE! Big thick old stuff, not the wimpy little spidery things.

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

We have snow that is about 2 inches deep. Looks like it's here to stay.

Lightning can be scary!! Really puts nature in the driver's seat - up close and personal!! Glad you got home all right.

Carol

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    8 years ago

More than likely I am wrong but here goes My PAoK looks exactly like Mustbnuts and mine is not PAoK. The only recent Austin that I could have gotten own root and matches perfectly is Princess Anne. PA also has large blooms and blooms like crazy. Got mine from Austin Roses. The individual petal shape also matches Princess Anne.

Mustbnuts your may be correct but mine definitely is not. Princess Anne will take on a dome shape with the messy inner petal look. Sorry the only way I now how to describe it. Diane has the right PAoK and the overall shape is quite different from what mine turned out to be.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    8 years ago

PAOK is definitely a bit of a mystery when it comes to color. I think she has several underlying colors that surface, depending on the age of the bloom and the heat. As my rose's blooms age, they become more pink, and in the heat of summer, they have fewer petals, are smaller, and are coral colored, rather than the "normal" coloration. Not too thrilled when they look like that, but it's only during the hottest, dryest time period. My PAOK is grafted on Huey, came in the Austin pot with proper tags that show a rose that looks like her blooms. The only rose that's more variable in color than PAOK (for me) is Augusta Luise.

Your lightening sounds impressive, mustbenuts, and I'm glad you got some rain. You live in an interesting sounding area.

And Carol, my friend a few miles up the road at a higher elevation got snow last night, too. Ugh. Don't know if it will stay there, though.

Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    8 years ago

SoFL, I'm sorry to drift around OT, but I hope this discussion about PAOK will help you ID your rose. I have no suggestions for its ID, but it's really a pretty one. Diane

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ok, well here is a monkey wrench in our entire thinking. It just occured to me to look at the list of Austins K&M offers and NEITHER PAoK is there, nor is Princess Ann. Now i'm really confused. Here is the list of the varieties they offer:

Abraham Darby

Ambridge Rose

A Shropshire Lad

Benjamin Britten

Bishops Castle

Carding Mill

Charles Darwin

Charlotte

Christopher Marlowe

Crocus

Rose

Darcy Bussell

English Garden

Evelyn

Gertrude Jekyll

Glamis Castle

Grace

Graham Thomas

Happy Child

Heritage

Huntington Rose

James Galway

Jude The Obscure

L.D. Braithwaite

Lady of Megginch

Mary Rose

Molineux

Pat Austin

Perdita

Portmeirion

Queen Neferiti

Queen of Sweden

St. Cecilia

Scepter’d Isle

Sharifa Asma

Sir John Betjeman

Sophy’s Rose

Strawberry Hill

Teasing Georgia

The Dark Lady

The Pilgrim

The Prince

The Squire

Winchester Cathedral

8 years ago

Wow! I never thought my P A of K might be something else. I have three of them out in my front yard. All of them have the same type of flowers and the same color. Got them on their own root from DA in Texas. Now I have to check out on HMF, Princess Ann.

8 years ago

Well, I checked out Princess Anne. I am still saying I think mine is P A of K and not Princess Anne. Mine does not bloom in clusters like Princess Anne does. My plants are also HUGE. DA states P A of K is about 3 feet? Not here! Mine is definately 8 feet or longer if I would let her get that big. Princess Anne is supposed to stay small.

I do have to say, I love Princess Anne! I am considering getting rid of my Lady of Shalott, even though I have not even had her one year and she is on her own root, so I know it takes a bit for her to come into her own. I am definately not happy with her bright orange color. She only produced two blooms all year.

My PA of K took off like crazy and I couldn't keep the blooms off of her. She needs room to grow. Where I have her is in a two foot bed. She is way too big for the bed and it is in front of my walkway to the house. I have to keep her restrained to keep her from eating folks as they walk up to my front door. Princess Anne may be a better rose for this spot if she truly stays small (always a gamble with a DA rose).

There would be lots of room in the back for my P A of K to spread out and not eat folks as they walk by. I also think she would be pretty next to my Brother Cadfael and my Mary Magdelene. I will have ot wait until I force them into dormancy in January.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    8 years ago

Mustbenuts, watch out that your PAOK doesn't eat other plants nearby, too. Yes, PAOK gets huge--especially wide, as mine is 8'X6'. It's aggressively growing into its neighbor, Munstead Wood, which is turning into a "half rose" that isn't sending out canes on the covered up side. Munstead Wood is just too darn polite. I suppose I'll have to do something about it, which is the story of my gardening life--transplant and move around roses because of space problems or growing trees shading things out. Sigh. Diane

PS--Is your Brother Cadfael getting huge? Watch out for that one, too, mustbenuts.

8 years ago

Diane, I have had my Brother Cadfael for 16 years or so. He is also huge. Not quite as big as my P A of K. He is over 6 feet tall right now and probably 3--4 feet wide. Another one of my favorites. Very easy to start on his own root.

Sounds like your Munstead is being quite the gentleman in letting P A of K have her way!

SoFl Rose, how about Queen N (although her blooms are supposed to be 4 inches across) or Grace? Would either of those roses be your rose?

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    8 years ago

Brother Cadfael is about 9 feet tall here most years and about 6-7 feet wide. Really a big guy. He's next to another big one, Jude the Obscure. They are 11 years old. They aren't as aggressive as the chubby Princess. Pretty sedate most years, so I haven't had one overrun the other. On the End of this bed is Frederic Mistral who can get a tad rude at times. We had an Arctic surprise on Nov 15 last year with several days of zero degree weather. I know I've mentioned it before, but it was shocking, and really dealt a blow to Jude and Fred, but not the Brother. Nothing was dormant, and a few things still were blooming a bit. It was interesting to see which roses came through without a bit of damage and which nearly bit the big one. Diane

A favorite pic of Jude and Fred beings "friends"

8 years ago

Just love your descriptions Dianne!

• ozmelodye
    8 years ago

SoFl Rose, I don't think it is Queen Nefertiti but I just took some shots of mine, and she is transitioning from her yellow phase, through apricot to pink.Our Spring temps have been wildly variable,from low 60s to high 90s with rain and high winds, so her colour is atypical for the time of year. In summer, she is always candy pink. She is also very thorny.

• ozmelodye
    8 years ago

Edited to add that blooms are about 4-5 inches when fully open.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    8 years ago

Oh, boy, what gorgeous photos. Oz, I don't think I've ever seen a pic of Nefertiti. She's a lovely looking rose with her subtle color, suitable for a queen's name. Is she a really old Austin?

Jo, I love both the Princesses, but your PAoK has to be the most spectacular specimen I've ever seen in a photo. Austin himself would be jealous if he saw the photos. The number of petals is amazing, and what rich color. What do you feed their royal highnesses? Diane

• ozmelodye
    8 years ago

Nanadol, Neffie was released in the UK in 1988 but didn't reach here until early 90s. I got my first one then, but due to extra family responsibilities that hit me then, she was amongst a lot of neglected roses that drought finally finished off. This is the replacement ( 5 years old) and she sulked last year because I had to dig her up and pot her due to yard work, but this year she has taken off again. Still no taller than 3-4' though. I must admit I freaked the first time she flowered pink, but soon realised that she is as variable as some of the teas. I won't willingly part with her. I must thank you for enabling me also... PAoK has her first bud! I can't wait! Melodye

Forgot to add(OT) I love Augusta Luise too :-)

• jo_pyeweed (z9 SF Bay Area)
    8 years ago

Why, thank you, Diane. :-)

I sprinkled in a 10-10-10 fertilizer when planting my PAoKs a few years ago. I haven't dared feed them since. Maybe I will next spring if we get our much-needed rains.

Our summers are cool so petal counts remain high. Unfortunately, PAoK has problems opening and can get botrytis in a twinkling. She's incredibly ugly, then. I should post pics of her dark side some time, huh?

I do fertilize Princess Anne every year in spring. I also lay down manure or compost, whatever I have at hand, when I can get around to it which ends up being once or twice a year. I need to do it more often as in my sandy soil organic materials disappear fast.

Jo

• jo_pyeweed (z9 SF Bay Area)
    8 years ago

And, SoFl, I just re-read your initial post and you say that the rose was sold to you as Jubilee celebration. Scratch Portmeiron as a contender - sorry about that. I would look at K&M's list of roses starting with "J", though, for a likely candidate.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    8 years ago

I looked at Austin's roses on his website a while ago, and I came up with Janet as the rose closest to your rose, SoFL. It's not on K&M's list, though.

Jo, thanks for listing your fertilizer regimen. It's pretty similar to mine, but your results are spectacular (to repeat myself). Diane

8 years ago

Oz, your Queen N is beautiful. Yes, the earlier Austins have thorns upon their thorns! Exception is the Brother who hardly had any thorns at all (or a "normal" amount of thorns for a rose).

Queen Anne is gorgeous! Everyone's rose pictures are beautiful!

• ozmelodye
    8 years ago

Thanks, mustbenuts, I have the Brother also, but today was the first day this season that I have had decent flowers on him. He has really suffered from the unstable weather and most of his blooms have been shrivelled by the dry winds followed by rain : ( . Here's hoping the next flush will be better. Your PAoK and Munstead Wood photos are gorgeous.

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    8 years ago

Something to consider, I assume K&M got their roses from DA. I got a few mislabeled roses directly from DA this year. So that kind of mistake could trickle down to K&M. There was no rhyme or reason to the mix-ups. Fighting Temeraire labeled as England's Rose, for example.

• homahomayoon14
    8 years ago

Hi, I am new! This rose looks exactly like my Abraham Darby Rose. The color and shape varies during maturity stages just as you have shown.

8 years ago

Well, guess what? I went outside before the rain came in to deadhead. What do I see? My P A of K has coral overtones!!! All the rest of the year she has been pink! Now she had some apricot coloring on the underside of her petals! I am eating crow.

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Im thinking its PAoK. Im going to contact K&M and see if its a posibility. I do hope it is after all these great pics.

8 years ago

While I still don't think the rose is P A of Kent, I think it looks a lot like Carding Mill. Have you checked that rose out to see if it might be yours? Don't know about how the leaves look compared to yours, but the flowers seem similar.

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hmm, Carding Mill is lovely, but mine is much deeper pink than what I see in any of the photos online. I actually have a young own root CM so when it blooms I'll be able to tell.

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ok, now im starting to think it may be Sir John Betjeman. K&M does in fact distribute this rose and although the coloring is a tad off, the shape, form and size of bloom is consistant with that of SJB. K&M describes it as a medium pink which it does eventually fade to.

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    8 years ago

A more recent bloom. Rather pale for Sir John Betjeman, but alas...

8 years ago

SoFL have you by chance had it long enough to get an idea of bloom habit. Is it a single bloom per stem or clusters. Any strong growth to give you an idea of thorns or stem strength. Perhaps in a month or so someone might recognize the rose by other attributes. She is quite pretty.

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    8 years ago

So far just one bloom per stem. It grows rather wide as opposed to tall and isn't horribly thorny so far. I've only had her since the spring so she's still very new.

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    8 years ago

Sir John is a vivid fuscia that fades to a slightly less vivid fuscia.

8 years ago

SoFL, take a look at Grace on HMF I had Grace several years ago and mine looked like yours. Not sure about bud color but mine could take on pink shades. Austins nearly always take time to show those fuller blooms. Gracie is my first guess.

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The Shepherdess has somewhat plain flowers and they shatter rather quickly. They also smell of Myrhh which is not my favorite. But guess what? She blooms profusely and is very resistant to black spot so she's earned her place on my garden. :)