SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dandyrandylou

The Fatal White Hat

dandyrandylou
8 years ago

Why is it that being a giver is often unacceptable and certainly unrewarded although a reward is never the givers' basic thought? More a gesture of love.

My sister and I are both widows, each with two children. In young days I sewed for her girls along with my own, remembered birthdays, etc. as natural feelings dictated. In later days I bestowed on mine and her adult children antiques I thought they would enjoy and other gifts that came to mind, feeling that I was sharing.

Needless to say, my sister has never remembered birthdays, etc., ignored our father's will, took everything with the exception of three chipped Imari plates she allowed me, and shares nothing, especially anything pertaining to family.

Over the years it's been enjoyable tor me to share with other family members and with my only granddaughter and her husband, to the extent that I am no longer able to continue to do so as often as I would like.

Probably there was a "thank you" hidden in there somewhere, but I'd have to strain my memory to recall it. Not only that, it is now as if I do not exist with two nieces who decline to speak to me, and others who seem pointedly unaware that I am still here with rare phone calls.

Cynics may find a motive for my actions, but I can't help myself. At Christmas I send my sister a large box of my homemade cookies and candies plus, of course, goodies and gifts for my great grandchildren and their parents. My daughter remembers me faithfully and constantly, and my son cannot do enough for me. I am thankful my beloved children have the generosity gene.

Comments (15)

• bossyvossy
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

if your sis doesn't do it, how/why would her girls have learned? If it is any consolation, I feel confident in saying that everyone here has member(s) of family that do not show appreciation. I don't think saying something about it will help or maybe for 1-2 events, then back to the old ways. You might also appear as giving with strings attached, if you expect something as simple as an acknowledgement and good manners. I don't think you are but SOME might think so. Another option is to stop giving to them and select recipients that have been responsive in the past. Somebody gave me this advice, I took it to heart and I am much happier. Wish you the same.

• plllog
    8 years ago

When I was an adult, I found out that most of the presents I had received from my grandparents had been gotten for them to give me by my parents (likely paid for by the grands if that matters). They wanted to give me things, but didn't really know how to go about it. I always loved their presents and it doesn't bother me that they got help getting them. At a certain point, however, they started giving all the grandchildren money, instead. We loved that too, because it was more cash than we'd otherwise get our hands on, and it was the love that it was given with that mattered.

This is a clannish family, who all lived close and saw each other regularly. So I, the youngest of the cousins (late teens at that point), was talking one day to one of the oldest, and without thinking I told the funny story of what happened when I spent my birthday money. My cousin was shocked! What birthday money? Why did Grandpa give you birthday money? I never got birthday money! My reply: "Um... Did you invite them to your birthday?"

My grandmother had an album with everyone's birthday written in it. They knew when the birthdays were.

From the time I was a baby, my grandparents always came to my birthday party or dinner (i.e., they were invited). They were foreign born and didn't really do birthdays when their kids were small, but they knew if you go to a birthday celebration, you bring a present. Right? So I got birthday money.

• marilyn_c
    8 years ago

"I agree with bossy. Only give to those you have a connection with and stop the rest."

My thoughts, exactly. I guess family matters like the above are easier for me to get over than maybe for most people. Being born so many years after my siblings....they were grown and gone before I was born or so soon after that I don't remember ever living with them. We have never been particularly close. "Family" seems almost like a foreign concept to me....so not catering to any of my relatives doesn't bother me. My only living sibling, my brother is 84 and senile. His wife complained to me about having to stay at home with him all the time and how he is driving her crazy. I just said, "I understand"....which I do because I took care of our mother with no help from anyone except my husband. I couldn't have done it without his help. I didn't say any more about it....I suppose she remembers that they were never around when I was dealing with the same thing.

I recently reconnected with a cousin on FB. Our grandmother lived next door to us, but I was never allowed to play with her because my dad and mother didn't get along with grandma. Few people did. It is difficult for me because she wants to have a closer relationship now than I am able to do. I have so much to do, it is hard to stop everything and go to Houston to see her as often as she'd like. A couple of times a year would be plenty for me. I guess I am lacking the family gene. I don't regret it....I simply accept it as a fact.

• Elmer J Fudd
    8 years ago

pink warm, relationships don't arise from giving gifts, nor are broken relationships fixed that way. It sounds like the gifts haven't been received with the same joy with which they were given, that's not so unusual and maybe is to be expected under the circumstances. You appear to have many long running and deeply felt issues with these family members, perhaps they too have the same with you?

It doesn't matter. But for whatever reason, you're continuing to keep score for a game that's over as far as they're concerned. It's too bad and I'm sorry, I'm sure it's hurtful for you but it is what it is. They've moved on, I think you should too.

• sleeperblues
    8 years ago

The Fatal White Hat--what does that mean? Am I missing some literary reference? I tend to agree with Snidely on this one. You sound like a "woe is me" kind of person.

• blfenton
    8 years ago

There is no doubt that there is joy in giving, as long as you're not keeping score. If you start keeping score it's time to stop giving.

• sjerin
    8 years ago

Isn't it funny how two siblings can grow up with such different personalities? Happens all the time. I'm sorry you're feeling sad over this; can't say I would have kept up the giving as long as you did.

• eld6161
    8 years ago

When feelings are involved, it is sometimes difficult to let go. I hope that sharing here will be the beginning of a way for you to let go of your disappointment in your nieces.

• dances_in_garden
    8 years ago

Do only what you enjoy doing, and let that be it's own reward. Now chant that to yourself a thousand times a day LOLOL!

• Suzieque
    8 years ago

I don't understand the reference to "The Fatal White Hat", either. Will someone please explain?

I do understand continually beating one's head against the wall hoping that things will change.

• chisue
    8 years ago

Isn't there some adage about the less well off relative resenting largess bestowed by wealthier family members?

The OP's complaint reminds me of two siblings I know who have stretched their sibling rivalry into their Senior years, now accusing one another of not being religious enough! How's that for missing the point?

• maire_cate
    8 years ago

A white hat usually signifies a virtuous hero, the 'good guys' as in the traditional Western where the good guys wore white hats. Think Lone Ranger. But I honestly don't understand the 'Fatal White Hat' reference.

In computer slang a white hat is someone who hacks computers to find problems and correct them before the 'bad guys' can exploit it.

• cynic
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I haven't seen that being a "giver" is unacceptable. Especially to the "takers". Takers LOVE givers and always want more. Takers also love gullible.

You can't blame the nieces for what they were taught by their mother ( or parents). I have the same situation and went through the same with an estate being robbed by a sibling so I completely understand your feeling there.

You can't do anything about it. People will talk behind your back, badmouth you and more. It's life and nothing you can do about it. Do what makes you feel good and do what you feel is right. Do NOT feel compelled to give to those you think are undeserving, especially if you're giving simply because they are technically "family".

I think you may be getting to the point where you're realizing these people have taken advantage of you. I went through that too. Hurts. But it's the way things are and as I said, you can't change it so don't beat yourself up trying. There's SO many more deserving people out there with whom you could share your love and friendship. Don't waste it on scum. I learned decades ago that life is too short to waste any of it on toxic relationships. Take a deep breath and move on. You have a family you love and who loves you. Enjoy them and ignore the poison peanuts in your life.

• lucillle
    8 years ago

Here is an incredibly wise quote from ImhappyandIknowit:

" My time has been filled with adopted friends/family. People who do want to be around me, people who include me in their lives. "