SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marshallv73

joining two rooms question (repost from flooring)

marshallv73
8 years ago

Everyone,

I'm copying this from the flooring forum where I just posted. Maybe you all have a thought?

I have a dilemma. Currently, I have two rooms that have wood flooring that I love (and the product is still available). The rooms are separated by a ~6 foot wide tile foyer that I would like to break up and put the wood down to make a continuous floor. The problem is that the rooms are a distance apart that will not allow for a full width plank and the entrance of whichever room we work towards.

Floor guy says i'll need a t-mold. I hate that idea as it will ruin the look and part of the reason for wanting to make it all continuous. I had an idea that may be "less bad" and wanted your input.

What if instead of a t-mold, a ripped down board was hand fit into the final gap (~1.5" or so). So, you'd have 5" planks going to the room, a 1.5" plank in the doorway, then 5" planks rest of the room. A slightly complicating issue is that this is right off the entry way, there's lots of natural light, and the door way is to the DR and is about 7' wide. This will be in a very noticeable spot.

The only other option, which makes me cringe a bit, is to take up the wood floor in the DR even thought it's perfect, just so we can continue from the foyer into the DR and maintain full planks throughout.

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated.

Marshall

Comment